Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member

DVD Player - yay or nah!!?

I got a shit load of dvds, but i spend most my time at the girlfriends (who doesnt have a dvd player) and i was thinking of buying one of those $100 cnd dvd players for at her house, that do nothing but play dvd format and have some weird name. the question is, has anyone had bad luck with the cheap ones? will it break in a month?

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i bought a crappy mintek for like 59 bucks a year ago and its just fine.

Go to best buy or one of the big stores and see whats the cheapest one they have. Almost all of them play VCD and MP3 by now.

Enjoy them dvd's bro =)

KeyMastur is offline VET
    depending on how good you want the picture to be or not consider these :

progressive scan - gonna add money to your order, but it's like read-ahead and makes the picture a lot crisper

mp3 / vcd / cd-rw / cd-r playback - you already know what this does.

outputs (component, s-video, or rca) - all will have RCA, component is the best.

dolby digital decoder - if it's got one on board, it'll separate all the sounds into their different channels (of course you won't need this if you don't have surround sound)

and of course i wouldn't buy a dvd player with more than 1 disc supported - shit, you can only watch 1 movie at a time right ?

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    thanks guys. actualy I need to buy a dvd player for myslef as well since Im only running the movies from laptop to tv right now. for the gf's house i'll just pick up something less expensive however.

i just got back from the parents house with there huge ass flat screen and surround sound 6.1 and a pricey dvd player, and my laptop dvd player isnt cutting it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    go to walmart, buy an apex dvd player, they actually play everything--dvd, vcd, svcd, xvcd, mp3....and they run under 100 bucks.
    -Cy

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Man i bought an apex and the motherfucker cocksucking piece of shit fucking thing broke the first fucking cocksucking day i had the fucking motherfucker.

So i went ahead a bought one of those dvd/vcr combos for only 200 dollars, and i love it. You can switch from vcr to dvd with remote it's pimp.

Just rescently i was watching crossroads with Britney Spears and that panty scene had me hooked for a good 30 minutes. I kept pausing it and rewinding it

xhybridx is offline New Member
    i agree with cy. we have the newest apex and it works perfect for those bootleg movies barely out in theater -=). and it was only like 60 bux. had apex for over a year and no problems. but theres no LCD on it, thats partly why its so cheap.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm waiting for the ones that play divx. i can rip an entire dvd to divx that fits on a single cd (and the quality is better than most vcd's i've scene). i never got into vcd's cuz i always imagined the movie would be in the climax of an action seen (or love scene...) and then you'd have to change out the cd or something...=P

there is supposedly some dvd player coming out that can play divx, but it costs 400 euros (dunno what that translates into us $, but it sounds like a lot).

-- clocky baby

BMANN is offline Associate Member
    Girlfriend bought me an apex a year or so ago, I watched half of a movie before the piece of shit stopped working. From now on, if it's not Sony I won't even look at it.

Terinox is offline The One & Only

Re: DVD Player - yay or nah!!?

Originally posted by Iron horse
    I got a shit load of dvds, but i spend most my time at the girlfriends (who doesnt have a dvd player) and i was thinking of buying one of those $100 cnd dvd players for at her house, that do nothing but play dvd format and have some weird name. the question is, has anyone had bad luck with the cheap ones? will it break in a month?
    Dude, I think it is worth it. I bought a cheap under $100 dollar APEX DVD player from Future Shop, and it comes with it's own Warranty for a year or two. And the quality is just fine. Especially since my parents are NOT really that picky, and don't need anything fancy, they are fine with it. Also, good thing about this APEX player is, even tho it's pretty cheap, it can still play MP3 and has a JPG album options. View all your digital camera pictures (burned on cd) on the DVD player.

Look into it bro,
    T.

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    XBOX! With the newest Xbox Media Player, you can play dvd, dvdr, svcd, vcd, DIVX, mp3, jpeg, etc. Basically Everything.

Originally posted by dizzle
    XBOX! With the newest Xbox Media Player, you can play dvd, dvdr, svcd, vcd, DIVX, mp3, jpeg, etc. Basically Everything.
    where do i get this said media player? does it work on a standard xbox? how do i get it on the actually xbox?

thanks,
    -- christopher

P.S. now that i've mastered making divx, all i need is a divx player (besides my computer...=/)

P.S.S. anyone with linux? i just wrote a perl script that rips a dvd to divx and burns it to cd all in a single keystroke. features include automatic calculation of parameters to ensure the HIGHEST possible quality in order to fit on a 700mb cd, auto detection and cropping of those black bands (the widescreen dead space), among many many other features. its a wrapper script for mencoder, the coolest video encoder ever! =)

Here you go clockworks...

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/newweb/news_latest.php

Helps if you have a modchip but it isn't mandatory. If you're into Linux that much, you can install linux on the xbox and run some apps from there. If you upgrade the hard drive, you can run your script and to the dvd to divx ripping all from within your xbox.

wait a sec. you can run it without a mod chip? that means they have microsofts private signing key........................which means they have solved the RSA factoring problem in relatively little time...........hmmmm. right?

Originally posted by dizzle
    Here you go clockworks...

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/newweb/news_latest.php

Helps if you have a modchip but it isn't mandatory. If you're into Linux that much, you can install linux on the xbox and run some apps from there. If you upgrade the hard drive, you can run your script and to the dvd to divx ripping all from within your xbox.

from the xboxmediaplayer.com faq:
    Q: Can you use the Xbox Media Player on Xboxâ„¢ without a modchip installed?
    A: Unfortunately the answer is no. It is very unlikely that there will never be a version of this media player that will run on a un-modded Xboxâ„¢, but we can always hope (more info here).
    - Support "Xbox Linux - Project B" and "The Neo Project (*)"Â_ which both strive to achieve this.
    (Feel free to join our team named "xboxmediaplayer.com" when signing up for The Neo Project)

Wait...so does that mean it WON'T play DIVX? I'm DYING to find a DIVX player, what about PS2? Or does that just say that you HAVE to get it modded? And where can u get it modded? Isn't that illegal? Or do u just pay them and they do it for u?? I got tons of DIVX...i needz a player!!!

Sorry, I was reading from an old faq about it playing on an unmodded xbox. Anyways, my xbox is modded, and it works great for playing divx. It's pretty cool, because you can stretch your screen up and down and left and right like a monitor.

Terrinox, I also think there is a ps2 divx player, I read about it recently, but you need to burn the divx player and divx file onto one disc. Let me look for it, and I'll pm you with more detail.

Originally posted by Terinox
    Wait...so does that mean it WON'T play DIVX? I'm DYING to find a DIVX player, what about PS2? Or does that just say that you HAVE to get it modded? And where can u get it modded? Isn't that illegal? Or do u just pay them and they do it for u?? I got tons of DIVX...i needz a player!!!
    here's the lowdown (after reading tons of crap on the internet about this): if you have a mod chip for your xbox, you can download the xboxmedia player onto your xbox's hard drive. once its there, you can play all your divx files from cd-rw discs. here's the hard part. xboxmedia player and evolutionx (what you need to get xboxmedia player onto your xbox from your pc) are both kinda illegal or something. you'll have to hunt them down, you can't just go download them from their homepage.

sounds like a pain in the ass, but i'm a computer guy...this stuff should be "fun" for me...

-- clocky baby

i decided to fuck it (excuse my c++, i'm drunk), and i figured out how to hook up my tv to my computer and set it as an alternate x screen in linux. so now when i want to watch a divx, i just play it on the x screen that corresponds to my tv. all hail linux, down with winbloze.

Originally posted by clockworks

here's the lowdown (after reading tons of crap on the internet about this): if you have a mod chip for your xbox, you can download the xboxmedia player onto your xbox's hard drive. once its there, you can play all your divx files from cd-rw discs. here's the hard part. xboxmedia player and evolutionx (what you need to get xboxmedia player onto your xbox from your pc) are both kinda illegal or something. you'll have to hunt them down, you can't just go download them from their homepage.

sounds like a pain in the ass, but i'm a computer guy...this stuff should be "fun" for me...

-- clocky baby

i decided to fuck it (excuse my c++, i'm drunk), and i figured out how to hook up my tv to my computer and set it as an alternate x screen in linux. so now when i want to watch a divx, i just play it on the x screen that corresponds to my tv. all hail linux, down with winbloze.

How did you hook it up? Did you do it through a video card? I have video card that allows tv input, but I don't know if it has output. I've never tested it. I should though, it would be cool to hook up PC to TV. Only problem is...if I wanted to do something like pause, or rewind, i'd have to run into the other room where the PC is! I'm running Windows 2000.

My brother, he had an idea of creating a PC that looked "kool" and put it beside the computer. He was thinking of getting an oldschool stereo system, tearing out the inside, and putting in a motherboard, cpu, hard drive, cd-rom, and hooking it up to the tv. It would look like a DVD player or VCR player...but he would be able to run ALL files (DVD, MP3, MPG, WAV, AVI, DIVX, RAM, RA, etc...) I think this is a cool idea...if he ever goes through with it

Thread Information