Shredz is offline Respected Member

What do you do about ignorance???

I just thought that I would post this question to see what each of you who have been confronted with this or anything similar. What I am wondering is...what do you do about the people who are ignorant to bodybuilding as a whole. Weither it be the actual weight training we do or dieting. Lets leave AAS out of this one for now.

For example: I work with a few guys who like to bust my chops about the way I train and diet. Basically the way I live my bodybuilding lifestyle. One of the things they bring up is my diet. They say that I shouldn't live like that. That I have to enjoy life. To them chomping down on a juicy hamburger and topping it off with large fries and a coke is living life. They ask why I shave my arms and do you pose in front of the mirror??? I believe that it is just pure ignorance and a lack of self esteem on their part.

What do you think? And what are some of the situations that you have been confronted with by co-workers, friends, family members? And how have you gone about dealing with it?

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Personally I believe that everyone has there "thing." And those co-workers of yours simply don't understand...and they NEVER will. Unless they get their asses in the gym and workout as hard as the rest of us, and see how dedicated we are...then they would understand.

You just gotta keep doing what your doing, because you know damn well your 10 times healthier then them, and you know a lot more about the training and the diet then they do.

So cheers, and keep lifting hard, and screw those co-workers!

Big Show 23 Guest

Re: What do you do about ignorance???

Originally posted by Shredz
    Lets leave AAS out of this one for now.
    That's a good idea since it might start disagreements that could lead up to a full out war of words

Now on to the subject of the thread itself.It's difficult to say,for me since I lift for fun & to get a thick & strong as possible and not for the purpose of competition I have no problem eating a hamburger for example.I believe that you can have the best of both worlds.Now in terms of ignorant no it's not ignorance but what you described is a lack of understanding & a lack of acceptance.Drug issues aside I say that it's way more health damaging to drink,smoke & be overweight than to flex muscles in front of a mirror & admire yourself.

Besides do you want a woman to stroke your bird chest/fat breast or do you want her to stroke & feel muscular beefy pecs & arms

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    That is true, everyone has there own thing. I get ragged on for the fact that I know nothing of sports, yet I train as hard as most pro athletes. ( I dont think so, but that is what they say to make fun of me) Some people like different things. Most people just cant understand that people are different. Ignorance if you ask me.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Love your new avatar bro!!! Cant stop the drol

I have the same crowd around me, there like "comon you can have a hamburger" etc but i dont want to have a hamburger and i acctualy feel better when i eat clean food, wierd huh? I havnt told people i shave my chest mainly cause it would be "gay" here. Just let them be.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    What can you do about ignorance Shredz, i commend you on sticking to your guns but everybody will never understand what we do. My gf doesn't even understand why i shave my upper body and trim my legs in the summer, i do it because i work f'ing hard everyday in the gym and dammit i want to show people that hard work pays off. I love hearing from girls that i have nice shape in my legs and butt.(even though my gf doesn't like it)

YZFR6 is offline Associate Member
    I get crap about it all the time, especally now that I stopped drinking. I just try to ignore it or just say I could explain it to you but you probbably still wont get it. Let them think I'm a freak because of my diet and the fact that I have to make it to the gym 5 days a week. Its not worth trying to explain it to people who dont want to understand and just want to give you shit.
    However for the people that I'm close to I will explain the whole thing (well everything but the juice) and they are understanding about it. I've even had coworkers ask me about their diet and how to loose weight, which I find pretty funny since they just watched me gain 45 pounds since August.

BTW what happend to the bike bro?
    Last edited by YZFR6; 01-04-2003 at 09:34 PM.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Well YZFR6 I sold the bike because I am buying a house and then the guy I sold it to wrote it off within 2 months. What are yeah gonna do???

Thanks for all the responses. There are some guys that I work with that ask me tonnes of questions on dieting and working out and I am more then willing to help them out.

Anyone else have any experience with this situation?

humpymuscle is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I love it when they say I eat too much or I workout too much. It shows they realize that I'm superior.
    OOps did I say that out loud...?

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    Man all you gotta do is just try and shrug it off. Theres really not a whole lot you can do with this. You can just say that this how you wanna do things, do the things the way you want to.

We all know how woman are with eachother. If they see a attractive woman, they tend to get together and bash her, saying that her boobs are fake or what not. Men are alittle different. They are alittle up front about it and they try to put you down to make you feel better. Its like meeting one of your friends buddys and the first thing he says is "I have a friend thats bigger than you!". Its just the way some people deal with things. Its really deep down inside a jealously thing. Just try and shrug it off brother. Theres no need to get pissed about it, just know that they all wanna have your shape they just don't have the will power to get it! I know it gets annoying, but fuck em man!

-FF

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    usually i give a reply something like, I do it so that I can eat a hamburger. While I'm outside slappin the meat on the barbie, most will be diabetic in a wheel-chair. i plan on being 75 years old climbing mountains and water skiing, where most would be bed-ridden.

that usually shuts them up!

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    everyone is different. if eating hamburgers makes them feel good, then good for them. i workout because it makes me fell good about myself and because i want to attract females. good for me. that might be completely different from why a lot of yall workout. good for yall. my roommate and all his crack whores love doing drugs. i personally don't understand it and they personally don't understand why i'd rather workout and have a nice body than snort meth. fuck it. everyone has his or her own thing that make them happy. try to find people like you so you can share your happiness with em. that is really important. it sucks coming home after a badass workout and i'm all pumped and wanna talk about it with someone, but all i find is cracked out drug addicts who don't wanna hear about how much i lifted or what not...

-- clocky baby

Thread Information