Strut99GT is offline Member

Learn how to freakin' spot (rant)!

Yesterday the gym was packed with the aforementioned new year's dorks who think they are going to stay dedicated. Anyway, I grabbed one guy who, believe it or not, was a regular, to spot me on a set of heavy bench. The long story short is that this jackass kept his hands on the bar the *whole time* I was doing reps.

Now, ordinarily, this is where I would tell people, "Hey, you're not supposed to keep your hands on the bench, otherwise I'M not doing the full rep," and go into some diatribe about what I want them to do, but this guy was actually pretty huge, and I couldn't believe he didn't spot correctly. I was already pissed that the place was so packed, so I didn't even feel like bothering with it any more. Freakin' morons.

/rant off

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    That's why it pays to have a steady gym partner...

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    When I am not training regualarly with a workout partner there are only a choice few that i trust to spot me.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    had the same shit happen to me on vacation in AZ. was doing my bench presses and I usually go for 8-10 reps at 225 all the sudden this dick runs over for no apparent reason and starts spotting me with his hands on the bar?? wtf??? I can understand if I was struggling but the fuckin idiot came into my world for no reason, no invitation what so ever!!!
    damm prick!!! now I dont even bother to ask for spots and if I do--I make sure I go over very good how i want that person to spot me!!
    it like you have to explain to a idiot how to walk straight.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I'm glad to hear I have some support on this! It's so freakin' annoying! The good news is that I finally have a gym partner now, but he couldn't go yesterday (had grad school orientation to go to :P).

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    I hate poor spotters. I have to go into detail exactly how I want it done if my workout partner isn't there.

Nibbe is offline Junior Member
    Thats why I workout alone, I had people grabbing the bar and practically ripped it out of my hands, one guy was hanging over me so his nasty swetty face was dripping right in my face, people that just stood there watching chicks while I was struggling to keep the bar from smashing down on me. No more spotters for me, I've had eanough.

zmatalucci is offline Associate Member
    I was maxing out w/ 435,, I asked the trainer at the gym to spot me and he proceeded to have 2 others help him,,, The lift off was terrible and it f___ed me all up,,,still got it though

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i love that. i'm all like yeah, look how strong i am, yeah, i just like 5 more reps than normal, woo woo!

hehe. welp, thats what you get for moving to ft worth...=P

-- clocky baby

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Its always best to explain to a new spotter what I want, there are people who spot too much and people who spot not enough, telling them exactly what you want, when they should come in etc.

works well for me

darmadoc is offline Member
    I agree, so many people expect different things from their spotters that it is good to explain what you want up front. For example "I don't want a lift off, don't touch the bar unless I say to or it is going backwards!" Sometimes, no matter what you say, people do what they want. It almost makes me want to use a Smith Machine for benching!

Mike62200 is offline Associate Member
    I hate when you ask someone to spot you on bench and you get to the last rep and as soon as you slow down a little the asshole grabs the bar and pulls it up. I'm like thanks buddy you just ruined the rep that builds the most muscle. just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Mike62200
    I hate when you ask someone to spot you on bench and you get to the last rep and as soon as you slow down a little the asshole grabs the bar and pulls it up. I'm like thanks buddy you just ruined the rep that builds the most muscle. just my 2 cents.
    Exactly! God that's so annoying.

BIGBOD is offline Junior Member
    Had a similiar instance getting spotted with dumbell overhead presses. This freak grabbed my wrist and pinched a nerve that almost made me drop 100 pounds on my freakin head. Talk about a concussion. Who's been teaching these guys!

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Thats why it pays to have a trainer

never hurts if he is a bit sadistic as well

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet

Re: Learn how to freakin' spot (rant)!

Originally posted by Strut99GT
    Yesterday the gym was packed with the aforementioned new year's dorks who think they are going to stay dedicated. Anyway, I grabbed one guy who, believe it or not, was a regular, to spot me on a set of heavy bench. The long story short is that this jackass kept his hands on the bar the *whole time* I was doing reps.

Now, ordinarily, this is where I would tell people, "Hey, you're not supposed to keep your hands on the bench, otherwise I'M not doing the full rep," and go into some diatribe about what I want them to do, but this guy was actually pretty huge, and I couldn't believe he didn't spot correctly. I was already pissed that the place was so packed, so I didn't even feel like bothering with it any more. Freakin' morons.

/rant off
    Maybe he thought you looked too small for the bar

Seriously next time either use dumb bells or be thank full he gave his time up to spot you. One small tip for benching without a spot, NEVER EVER put the collars on the bar. If you should drop the weight hopefully the plates will topples off one end and your saved.

Bouncer

Thread Information