Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet

Calling all Firefighters....

Ok guys (and gals?).....I've been trying to decide what to do with all my free time (wayyyyy too much of it) so I would like to get back into being an EMT. To do that in my county, I have to be part of the fire department. So........I'm thinking of applying for an upcoming Fire Academy.

Any input from you all that have been there and done that?

C.B.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Are you looking at being a full-time FF/EMT or volunteering.

Thanks for replying. Right now it will be part time FF/EMT. The acadamey starts in March. Once I become a FF, they will let me become an EMT. I ran as an EMT in WV a few years ago. I really miss it. I know I can pass the Nat Exam for EMT with no problem. I am NOT so sure about the fire fighter part of it.

C.B.

Thanks for the reply. Was getting a bit depressed about the serious lack of response.
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

You should be ok. If you're in decent physical shape (duh! ) and have an ounce of common sense.

You may also want to pick up the latest IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting book to get ahead of the game a little. It's worth about 40 bucks, but it's a decent starting point.

I'm sure you'll have no problem. EMS is fun but once you catch the firefighting bug... Coooome to the red side!

Red

Thanks Red. I really miss it. I have sooo much free time on my hands. I can only work out soooo much. LOL.

Will look for that book.

Have a great one.

C.B.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Sounds like you need someone to spend all that free time with.

LOL That too. But he lives 1000's of miles away in Barbados. :-(.

DAMN IT. Long distance romances SUCK.

C.B.

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    The Fire Academy in NY is physically intense just make sure your in extremely good shape. Im sure it's pretty much the same in your state with the physical standards. In NY you don't have to be emt certified just have your cfrd

I just finished my first week of the FDNY EMS Academy and im so spent i got till feb 28th and im done =( 2 quizes and a module exam in 1 week. its only 37 days and its 6 months of work. I'm only being a emt for the fire department untill i get called off the list to be a firefighter. Being a firefighter is the best job in the world. I don't know how it is in your state but the days off are one of the best benefits of being a firefighter in ny. anyways Good Luck!!!

Originally posted by Commando_Barbi
    Thanks for replying. Right now it will be part time FF/EMT. The acadamey starts in March. Once I become a FF, they will let me become an EMT. I ran as an EMT in WV a few years ago. I really miss it. I know I can pass the Nat Exam for EMT with no problem. I am NOT so sure about the fire fighter part of it.

C.B.

Thanks for the reply. Was getting a bit depressed about the serious lack of . response
    Fire school is not that bad, c barb. My school was ran with pretty much an equal amout of dictations and what we called 'evolutions'. 'Evolutions' were all physical aspects of the class, i.e. performing search n' rescue, donning/doffing gear, working with tools, extinguishment, EVOC, operating pumps, etc. The class is alot of fun, except the dictation gets a little boring sometimes, but other than that you'll have a good time. You should have no probs. The most physical part of the class was performing the 'Firefighter Combat Challenge'. It was not a required part of the class, but we wanted to get a "feel" for it because alot of depatments in this area require that as a physical challenge for their civil service tests. It is extremely strenuous, but if you have the opportunity, try it out. All in all, I had a great time, met alot of good people, and made some friends.
    Do you have any thoughts of becoming a paramedic? My dept. requires me to be medic as well as a firefighter. They actually paid for my medic school and paid to GO to school. Thats awesome. Its a great career and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The job is rewarding and fun, you can't beat the schedule, you great benefits and you build a different type of relationship with your co-workers than you would at any other job. Where else could you go where someone would put their lives on-the-line to save yours. I would do ANYTHING for my fellow firefighter, and they would do the same. I encourage anybody who has any interest in it. If you have any questions, and I'm sure I speak for my fellow smokeaters, we'll do our best to answer them. I wish you the best of luck at the academy and to your future career.

Thanks so much for the great word. My goal is to get back into EMT work. My only thing with Paramedic is having to do IV's. When I went through EMT training a few years ago....I was taught to do it....but I am sooo needle phobic. The first training is tomorrow nite.....gonna go check it out.

C.B.

darmadoc is offline Member
    I'm sure all you firefighters have heard this a million times before, but I want to say it again. Any guy or gal who will run into a burning building and risk their life to haul my kid to safety can't be given enough compliments.

Firemen and Police have always been #1 in my hero book. ESP the firemen. On top of that.....they are so damn handsome in their gear.

C.B.

BIGBOD is offline Junior Member
    Good luck tonight. You'll be fine. Oh wait, you already are! See you later!

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Even though we are all apart of the same union (IAFF) we here in Canada are just starting to adopt the combination of fire and EMT into the cities. In the past and still in many cities the EMT's (Paramedics here) are owned and operated by outside agencies. With the exception of a few cities who have just recently got on board. So I am not to familar with Partimeing as an EMT/FF. If you have any specific questions regarding physicals or appitude tests or what to expect when you get on shoot them I am sure I can help.

Just to remark about us being so damn sexy in our gear I guess I should change back my avatar to my old one. What do you think?

Hey Big.....that means a LOT coming from YOU. Thanks.

Shredz.....firemen are HOT HOT HOT. You don't need to change your avatar.....I think your hot already.

C.B.

Tonite was great. I forgot how great it was to be involved in the whole EMS world. Man....I can't wait for it to start. I am READY. It doesnt' start until March but they have training every Monday night...and I will be going to that to learn as much as I can.

C.B.

Glad it went well, c barb. As far as the needle phobia, you get use to 'em. Keep us posted!

Thread Information