Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jubalain is offline New Member

You guys see the video of the cop shooting the family dog??

I saw this on CNN, pretty heartbreaking.

These Highway patrol officers pulled a family over cuz they mistakingly thought they had stolen their car, they had the mom, dad, and son, in handcuffs on their knees. with their guns drawn on them.

the family members told them to please shut the car door so the dog wouldnt get out, it was a mid size dog, in the video you see the dog get out of the car, and run around wagging it's tail and then approaches one of the officers who fires his shotgun at the dogs head and kills it in front of the family.

I'm usually always pro-police.. but I think this was unnessacary.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/09/po....dog/index.html

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    hey man, i want to see that...but your link has an error

Damn, I want to see the real video...it just makes me sick to hear something like this actually occurred in America...

BostonBobby is offline Associate Member
    Big Rush the video is on that page but you have to be a member to view it... So stupid no way am I payin 10 bucks for something I'll never use again....

B

Yung Wun is offline Member
    welcome to america

woodsy169 is offline Associate Member
    Go here to watch the video: http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp...0&nav=1ugFDGSN

Damn dog was wagging his tail when he got out of the car and was coming up to the cop...I don't see how he could have felt "threatened"
    Last edited by woodsy169; 01-13-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Fuckinb Idiots....who would be affraid of a bull dog...I can see if it were a pit...but still...dumbshit cops!!!!!!!!!

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Normally, when something put forth as "disgusting" happens involving the police, I am very quick to recall just how frightened and overreactive I've been when placed in far less threatening situations with far less dire and permanent consequences at stake. As such, though I am normally quite cynical when judging and evaluating an officer's behavior, I am, for better or worse, able to rationalize a great deal of the perceived injustices and tragedies as truly not the fault of the officer in question...or, at the very least, quite able to understand why they may have reacted wrongly without calling into question their kindness, sense of justice, sympathies, etc; i.e., I steadfastly maintain that 90% of officers in such situations feel legitimately horrible, and are indeed haunted by their actions in the surest sense of that word.

However, that being said, upon viewing this video, wherein i have scarcely seen a happier and more amicable dog given the situation, there is scarcely a part of me that wants to confer upon this "gentleman" anything remotely resembling human status. I may be very, very erroneous in my judgement, which is quite possible given I'm extrapolating a thirty second clip onto a lifetime, but in my estimation this individual's career was one long adrenaline-induced power trip. As unfortunate as it might be that this dog met such an end, I, for one, am quite relieved that it happened to a dog first, as I sincerely believe it was only a matter of time (and likely a short duration at that) before this individual's power-trip produced similar results, though with a human victim.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Big Green has got a point - there is a reason why you dont mess with TN local police - if you dont know somebody high enough up - the law is pretty much whatever they say it is till the state troopers show up - and nobody, but nobody messes with them. a bad deal - sorry for their dog but better the dog than a person - and surely that poorly trained cop would have gotten someone killed later on.

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by BigGreen
    Normally, when something put forth as "disgusting" happens involving the police, I am very quick to recall just how frightened and overreactive I've been when placed in far less threatening situations with far less dire and permanent consequences at stake. As such, though I am normally quite cynical when judging and evaluating an officer's behavior, I am, for better or worse, able to rationalize a great deal of the perceived injustices and tragedies as truly not the fault of the officer in question...or, at the very least, quite able to understand why they may have reacted wrongly without calling into question their kindness, sense of justice, sympathies, etc; i.e., I steadfastly maintain that 90% of officers in such situations feel legitimately horrible, and are indeed haunted by their actions in the surest sense of that word.

However, that being said, upon viewing this video, wherein i have scarcely seen a happier and more amicable dog given the situation, there is scarcely a part of me that wants to confer upon this "gentleman" anything remotely resembling human status. I may be very, very erroneous in my judgement, which is quite possible given I'm extrapolating a thirty second clip onto a lifetime, but in my estimation this individual's career was one long adrenaline-induced power trip. As unfortunate as it might be that this dog met such an end, I, for one, am quite relieved that it happened to a dog first, as I sincerely believe it was only a matter of time (and likely a short duration at that) before this individual's power-trip produced similar results, though with a human victim.
    Huh? ........

Oh thank god the cop shot the dog and not one of the humans, cause then we would really have a situation on our hands. Phew, I am definitely relieved! LOL
    Last edited by mammoth; 01-13-2003 at 03:02 PM.

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd rather cops off humans instead of dogs. Call me crazy!

dogs are innocent and are sinless in my book, nothing but assets.

if a dog attacks someone its not raciest!

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    That was the worst thing I have ever seen!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Its a sad story. I think that cop will be dealt with appropriately, and the family will be compensated financially a great deal. Didn't see the video, and i don't know how old the son is, but thats not something i'd want to have my son deal with. Hearing a gun shot right next to you at point blank is scary for anyone, but trying to explain to him why the dog had to die is even tougher.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    very sad for the family - what is bad tho is that they will no doubt will get a big $$$ that will come out of taxpayer funds that are already in the red down there - that is money that doesnt go for roads, social services, schools, etc.

Why couldnt we just have a public horsewhipping of the stupid cop?

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Cycleon FOR GOVERNOR!

mass junkie is offline banned
    Im not saying the cops were right for shooting the dog or anything like that.......But the dog was definetly a pit bull.......you hear all the horror stories of what these dogs do to people and then all of a sudden your in a situation that is all ready heightened with adrenaline...and now you throw a pitbull into the mix........cmon....people can you honestly say that you wouldnt of done the same......if you watched the tape you would of seen the dog made a beeline straight for the cop....

mammoth is offline Member
    It wasn't a pit bull...The cop only thought it was a pit bull. Its a shame, cause I am sure the cop was scared and did it out of fear. I don't blame the cop, however seeing as how this family was treated I would say that a serious penalty should be implied.......HORSEHWIPPIN' YEEEEEHAAAAAWWW!!!
    Last edited by mammoth; 01-14-2003 at 05:04 PM.

maximized is offline Junior Member
    http://www.hyperial.com/myviews/files/doglg.rm

this is a free video feed of the god if you havnt seen it. crazy. such a small dog! no need for it to be shot.

-max

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    i can maybe see why they shot the dog they were startled dog comes up to you during a suspesion robbery case .. just its a sad deal pretty much the dog and the people were at the wrong place at the wrong time...

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    It looked much worse on the clear video, just a little dog that came out wagging its tail very fast and playfully running.

A bad judgement call by the officer and he sounded like an idiot in the interview he gave the press about how he was so scared, christ he could have punted that little thing 50 yards easily if he was scared. He shot it at about 12 inches from the muzzle. Now I don't place too much value on pets especially when measured against the value of humans but a pet can become a big member of someones family. The cops sure don't like it if you f*** with their dog, they treat them as humans when you assault or kill them.

The police officer should definitley pay any and all expenses and offer to buy a new dog at the least. Maybe he should invite them over and let them shoot his dog!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I cant see any of the vids...but thats allright i understand from your posts that it was totally unnecessary(sp) and that the cop should be fixed by a vet.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm sorry, but you know when a dog is a pit....those dogs are scary and have the most distint look to them...and a bull dog, you know a bull dog when you se eone....it was just a dumbshit hillbilly cop who didn't even know how to spell his name until they stenciled it on his uniform....

j_dawg34 is offline Junior Member
    I live in a town probably 30 min away from cookeville and man i heard all about this stuff earlier this year and all i have to say is that i work for my local police department and ride with the officers frequently b/c that is what i want to be. And im not saying that he should have shot the dog, but given the situation he was at a high state of alert any sudden moves could be deadly for him or the other officer or the family. As a cop here in TN and in other places a stolen vehicle situation is regarded as a very high alert situation. Think about it, what kind of person steals a car? The fault fell on the cookeville dispatchers as it should b/c they made the mistake of dispatching the call as a stolen vehicle.
    So please dont just automatically assume that this guy is a dumbass. He was just being protective. Doing his job. He freaked out at least it wasnt a person!!!!!!

Tank you just my .02

j_dawg34 is offline Junior Member
    you know what i hate stupid ppl who think they know everything about what a police officer should do. If you think you could do better, try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then talk all the **** you want.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_dawg34
    you know what i hate stupid ppl who think they know everything about what a police officer should do. If you think you could do better, try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then talk all the **** you want.
    Bro, the cop unloaded on the dog with a shotty. If a person kills a police dog it would be murder. That guy even told the cops that he had a dog in the car. If that had happened to me I would be out for blood on that cop.

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    thats why im gonna go with N.W.A on all police matters and say **** tha police, they never do anything but bust your balls...

ross3814 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j_dawg34
    that dog was like 30 lbs you f uckin a sshole.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    not saying right or wrong either way...but that was a pretty big dog...not a little dog. No punting of the dog would have been possible. Not 30lbs either. More like 60 or 70 lbs. Hard to tell what kind of dog in the dark when it's running at you too.

Bad deal...I feel for all involved. Hopefully other police depts can use the video as a training tool of some kind.

Like someone said above...everyone was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Oh yeah...before we go calling each other bad names and hating on each other, let's all keep in mind it was just a dog. Granted it sucks the dog got shot and the situation the dog got shot in...but, it was just a dog.

If we are going to argue, let's argue about something more productive....like politics. That's something worth calling each other bad names over...RIGHT??!!

peace,

ttgb

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    he could have punted that dog, stupid ass hick decides to have a power trip and shoot something, maybe his sister didnt give him enough head before he went to work that day. definatly could have been done a differant way

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    That dog was 35 lbs tops. Could have and should have been done differently. He was on high alert? Because of what? A family in handcuffs? What kind of family does carjackings. All the people were cuffed already. That **** was ludicrous.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Oh shiet....PETA is going to show up now!!!

slamd097 is offline Banned
    geez...this is funny to see everyone get so worked up...I would say that the cop did over react, but in his defense, I could see how something like that could make you jump a little. It already is a tense situation and everyone's nerves are on end. But rather then evaluate the situation completely he reacted. But again in that situation...everything is on end as it is..

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by slamd097
    geez...this is funny to see everyone get so worked up...I would say that the cop did over react, but in his defense, I could see how something like that could make you jump a little. It already is a tense situation and everyone's nerves are on end. But rather then evaluate the situation completely he reacted. But again in that situation...everything is on end as it is..
    He's supposed to be a "trained" professional........ How to evaulate the situation is what he should have learned when in the Academy. Also, they had the family in handcuffs so the situation was in control if there was any threat......... That cop is a stupid ass and shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    He's supposed to be a "trained" professional........ How to evaulate the situation is what he should have learned when in the Academy. Also, they had the family in handcuffs so the situation was in control if there was any threat......... That cop is a stupid ass and shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.
    Seriously. If the guy in the cuffs would have sneezed or made a sudden movement or something would it be alright to blow his head off too?

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Some officers and some agencies have poorly trained or under trained officers. Hard to have over 50,000 U.S. LE agencies all trained properly but I can say that the police have come a long ways and are still training to become better servants to the public.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsy169
    Go here to watch the video: http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp...0&nav=1ugFDGSN

**** dog was wagging his tail when he got out of the car and was coming up to the cop...I don't see how he could have felt "threatened"
    Lets just call it 'friendly fire'

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    I seen this video a while ago when it first came out. I was appauled by it also. IMO the officer used poor judgement. I believe the stop was good relying on information the officers had but the individual exercised poor judgement. It's hard for officers after years of trust to the public keep every incident assessed properly. Many times officer's extend the hand of trust and get it bitten by idiots that run, attack the officer, or shoot them. One or two incidents like this in a career and any officer will treat any stop serious with over precaution.

You have to remember one thing. The officer's are hoping and thinking about trying to get back home at the end of the shift back to there own families, alive.

New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    That is just F****D UP!! Stupid Roscoe P. Coltrane cop afraid of that dog??? Jeez!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    In that situation I'd consider an unleashed dog fair game and shoot him also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information