BostonBobby is offline Associate Member

Qustion on the Iron Cross

What is the true meaning because I like it and want to get it as a tattoo but I don't want to get it and it ends up being a nazi symbol and stuff so can any of you guys or girls help me out???

B

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Post a picture.

B

I think that is a Nazi sign, but not for sure.

I know they used it but I heard that it's meaning was for victory..

B

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    It looks like a Nazi sign to me and probably would to anyone else who sees that tattooed on your body.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

mammoth is offline Member
    The iron cross was a prussian award that was originally given out by King Friedrich Willheim during the War of Liberation against Napoleon. It was introduced as a german award by Hitler in the opening of the Third Reich. There is a long history behind the medal. The award was given out for several reasons but mainly for bravery during war. It does unfortunately carry a Nazi stigma along with it because of the fact the Hitler used it during his reign.

I think it would make a cool tattoo. Just remember though that some people do consider it to be offensive.

Other than that I say go for it!

If you mean the same iron cross as the one used in germany, then yes... it was a nazi medal and unless I am wrong it is a symbol still banned to this day in Germany.

It started out as a military award in the 1800's and like many other symbols was tarnished by the nazis (like the swastika which used to be amongst other things a symbol of friendship before the nazis had a go at it). I would definetly NOT want that on my person where others can see it.

Have a look here for a history of this medal:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron...ncrossmain.htm

Red

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Like Mammoth said, it wasn't originally a Nazi symbol. Hitler inherited it and used it. I wouldn't consider it a bad symbol if you know the history, but some people are going to be ignorant. Get a dolphin or a sunflower instead.

Bro...design your own.

redrock is offline Member
    It's also called a Maltese Cross and it was used during the Crusades as a Badge for Firefighters. You will still see firemen today who have a Maltese Cross on their uniform or truck. Go for, it looks good.

Close but not quite...

They are indeed historically related but it dates back to the 1500's and earlier. Where the iron cross won't be accepted by most people because of it's use by the nazis, the maltese cross is a true badge of honour.

It's the symbol of the Order of St-Johns of Malta. It's made of 4 "arrow heads" pointing towards a center.

The maltese cross used by most of us firefighter is a very stylised version of the original Maltese cross (which incidentally is still in use on the island of Malta and is the official logo of the "St-Johns Ambulance"), but the symbolism remains the same.

Check this site out for a very brief "readers digest" history of our use of the maltese cross. http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/cars/maltese.html

Red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qustion on the Iron Cross-maltese-cross.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 01-17-2003 at 01:16 PM.

I have no clue what to do I like it I'm thinking of getting it in a celtic way to if you know what I mean... Also isn't it the sign for Independant skate boards and West Coast Choppers?? Can't be that bad if they got acceptance to use it...

B
    Last edited by BostonBobby; 01-17-2003 at 01:53 PM.

Originally posted by EXCESS
    Like Mammoth said, it wasn't originally a Nazi symbol. Hitler inherited it and used it. I wouldn't consider it a bad symbol if you know the history, but some people are going to be ignorant. Get a dolphin or a sunflower instead.
    Sounds good I'll get a dolphin jumping over the sunflower.. hahha...

B

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    the KKK use a similar symbol if I'm not mistaken....I say its a bad idea

B

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    BostonBobby
    I have a knit cap that is has a West Coast Choppers sign on it which is the iron cross. I wore it to a bar i used to work at and BTW that was the first place i had wore it out to and i recieved some interesting responses (most of which weren't good). I have never wore it out again and its a cool looking hat. I also have the sticker for WCC on my welding helmet and at work no one has said anything. I don't know what i would do just remeber i can just take off the hat that tattoo is for life. Just my 2 cents BTW i wouldn't care if i saw a tattoo of the iron cross. Its their personal preference.

Wake Chick is offline Female Member
    Its also the logo Independent Skateboarding Co. uses. The y make trucks and stuff for your board.... That's funny you posted it, My friend just got that tatoo'ed on his back in red and black. I dont think you should get it, too common!!
    Wake chicks- We make your boat look good.

I don't think it's that common at least not around Boston area anyway... hmm I think I'm just going to have to get it and if people don't like it tough I do...

B

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    The Independent logo is a little different. The four ends aren't straight like the iron cross...they're rounded.

I remember seeing that cross now, my grandpa rides with the Outlaws and has a Tattoo with the cross but ive never asked what it meant?

Ok I've narrowed it down too the iron cross picture that posted above or these two...

B

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Why not get something really UNIQUE. Something people will look at and think "Wow, I have NEVER seen something like that before."

That's what I was planning on (tatoo), but considering i'm still growing from body building, my guess is it would get all stretched out and look nasty.

Can someone post those links like before, I think there was a link to some tatoo website with THOUSANDS of pictures.

Thnx.

Thread Information