Unhappy Winter fat retention?

Is there such a thing as a natural reflex to retain fat when the temperature gets well below freezing?

I am asking this as I've been putting on fat since the start of winter, yet I haven't changed my diet or training frequency/intensity (other than the 3 weeks off for the holidays where I travelled, but the fat storage started way before that). I do live in a nice cold area with daily temps in the -10 to -20C range. Colder at night.

Is it possible that humans have a natural fat conservation reflex like some animals?

Red

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I remember reading something about that but I can't remember where I read it. I always gain fat during the winter also. Of course I stay indoors alot more and that usually means eating more too...

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I'm interested to see the replies to this. I know of one person that has S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and he gets depressed during the winter months. He doesn't change his diet and training but he gains fat during the winter. Can mood alter metabolism?

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I am a strong believer of this theory . From what i read and in my own personal experience i would say absolutely. Every year during the fall my appetite goes threw the roof! I always get a fat gut during winter then it fades during spring even if i keep the same diet. Some are more prone to it than others probably due to where your ancestors came from. if you stem from a family that lived in a cold climate you would naturally be more prone to it. After all we are all animals here so it only makes sense if you think of it in a natural point of view.
    J.M.O

Well, it does make sense...

Most cold climate animals fatten up when winter is coming, I guess it's only normal that the human animal would do the same in similar conditions.

(well, I'd like to think so!)

Red

Cubber is offline Junior Member

Re: Winter fat retention?

Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    Is there such a thing as a natural reflex to retain fat when the temperature gets well below freezing?
    And here I thought I was putting on weight due to the extra food I've been eating!

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    LoL it does make a good excuse!

Thread Information