Terinox is offline The One & Only

The Hunt For Red October

Okay, I don't get this movie.

In the beginning, Sean Connery KILLS that other captain person, and REPLACES the military orders or something, and is travelling towards north america with a submarine FULL of nukes right?!? So...how come as the movie continues on, he becomes the good guy and works together with Alec Baldwin and does that other shit, etc...etc...

I'm obviously not going into detail here, but those of you who have watched the movie a couple times and know the story well, I would appreciate it if you could clarifty this out for me. I usually get movies I watch, but this one for some reason has me confused.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    the person he killed was actually the officer for the KGB. so he had to do that so he could come to america since he never intended to attack or use the nukes.

alec baldwin just figgured out what he was doing and helped him do it.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    He did it becuase the new Russian Sub was meant for only one thing bro...
    Lauching a first strike against America... The whole reason for him turning the sub over to the US was to prevent a possible first strike from Russia and war.... That's the whole idea of the movie...

Thus giving the USA the same weapon and knowledge the Russians had... Goes back to the old idea of mutual destruction so no one does anything and everything stays cool....

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Oookay. I kept hearing the word "defect" and didn't fully understand what it meant. Thanks to www.dictionary.com (LOL), it's when a person goes against his own country or his own people, and turns towards another group/people (not necessarily in bad intentions).

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Terinox
    Oookay. I kept hearing the word "defect" and didn't fully understand what it meant.
    yeah if you dont know that word it would make the movie completely confusing. glad you figured it out!

peace

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Sean Connery kills that captain because the guy was using the sub for a highly profitable cross-atlantic pizza delivery business.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    ROFL hahaha good one bro i was just needing a laugh

Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    he killed the political officer

I kept hearing the word "defect" and didn't fully understand what it meant.
    You did not grow up during the cold war did you?

I am constantly amazed at how the younger generation knows next to nothing about the USSR, communism, the cold war, years of M.A.D. (Mutual Assured Destruction), Cuban Missle Crisis, the Berlin Wall...

I guess in a way it's a good thig that this shamefull episode in our history is collectively forgotten.

Red

Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    well, im only 22 and i know quite a bit about communism and the cold war. but then again im chinese....we know everything

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Fooboy
    he killed the political officer
    this is correct. the political officer (along with the doctor) were the only two officers who did not wish to defect. thats why he left the doctor with the crew and killed the political officer.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Re: The Hunt For Red October

Okay, I don't get this movie.

In the beginning, Sean Connery KILLS that other captain person, and REPLACES the military orders or something, and is travelling towards north america with a submarine FULL of nukes right?!? So...how come as the movie continues on, he becomes the good guy and works together with Alec Baldwin and does that other shit, etc...etc...

I'm obviously not going into detail here, but those of you who have watched the movie a couple times and know the story well, I would appreciate it if you could clarifty this out for me. I usually get movies I watch, but this one for some reason has me confused.
    I love Canadians, ya'll...I mean you guys, crack me up, eh?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Here's a little trivia, after writing the book Tom Clancy was debriefed by both the CIA and a White House committe because of intelligence he had on Russian subs plus Russian and American battle doctrine.

Thread Information