BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

I fell in love tonight....

With a new gym. I'm moving a little further south to be closer to boston, the area where I grew up, and more of my friends (no one actually stays in New Hampshire, it would appear...they just go to school here or otherwise visit) and I'm "pre-scouting" gyms. I walked into one gym that I was certain would be a joke tonight. It was in a plaza with a shaw's, a blockbuster, some pizza place, and I believe a Wendy's and maybe a Pier One. Regardless of which exact franchises were there, I expected the gym to be just as cookie cutter as the plaza itself. Oh boy was I wrong!! Dumbbells up to 160 (not that I need them for anything more than heavy rows or possibly a farmer's walk...but i'd like to graduate from 130's on dumbbell presses....maybe one day i'll heave the 160's!), three power racks, an Olympic lifting platform, 100lb plates, cardio area ENTIRELY separate as to cut down on the singles bar aspect of a gym - basically everything I want in a gym! I may move to this particular town for this reason alone!

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i hope you too are happy together

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    wish there was something like that over here

palme is offline Rosie Member
    What a sweet ass story! I have a hard time keeping it in my pants!

Ohh and like hell you can do 130lbs db presses! Dont confuse dumbell with barbell

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I now pronouce you man and..................gym? Everyone else looks for a home with a good resale market and great location..............Not BG for him it's all about the gym.

Palme, that was cold...............don't burst the poor guys bubble, let the man live in the dream. Don't you pay any attention to the cold man from Sweden Big Green.

Actually, I should probably clarify: when I do bench presses with dumbbels, I use ONE dumbbell and grab each "bell" portion with a hand and perform sort of a close grip bench press.

Truthfully, is handling 130's really a notable feat (3-4 reps)? I know it is among my friends and among many of the gymgoers, but I highly doubted it was on this board...I think Big Texan shoulder presses that, doesn't he? Now that's more notable. I can never tell when Palme's joking or not......

sigrabbit is offline Member
    Now if the gym only had sheep roaming freely BigT would be in love too...j/k big guy.

Juggernaut got it but mr yale has trouble understanding lower class humor Losen your tie bro
    Im sure you press 130bls db´s easy.

Flounder is offline New Member
    Wow. I was feeling so good about myself being able to press with 105 db and then I run across this thread.

The gym where I have a membership (it's owned by Lee Haney - great place) has dbs up to 150 but I have never seen anyone use anything heavier than 120.

Don't know you except through reading your posts but best of luck to you. You give me something for which to aim.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Flounder, bro that's not a bad lift just some can lift a little more then others. Besides don't let BigGreen fool you................his arms are only 12 inches long so the distance needed for the lift is a lot shorter.

You know I'm ashamed to admit this but my gym doesn't have anything over 75lbs in the dumbbells. Hell I went out and bought a couple of 100's out of my own pocket but it's a gym at work so it has other great items to make up for it.....like free. I am also the reason we have a leg press, smith machine and a squat rack. They don't know it yet but I'm about to talk them into a hack squat machine.

Alright here's a question if I can bench 310 what would be a respectable lift with dumbbells? Crap BigGreen did I just do a highjack? I've read about them but I don't think I've actually done it until now.

BTW, 130lbs sounds damn impressive to me.

Juggernaut...i have no idea what the carryover would be. It really varies from person to person. For me, benching absolute poundage of 260 on barbell and 260 on dumbbells, I don't lose a ton in reps like most people do. I suspect it's because my shoulder girdle, pec insertions, or whatever strongly "prefer" to come in at the end (following that natural arc of the chest) or otherwise "prefer" an arc and range of motion that lends itself to dumbbells. To be honest, 99% of the guys who handle 130's for the same amount of reps as I probably outbench me on barbell by a good 40-60 pounds. I wish I knew the exact reason why i get a better carryover to dumbbells than most so I could possibly exploit it in my training.

But, to attempt to answer your question very generally, I think a guy benching 310 (i'm assuming near max or low reps) should be able to handle 115's-120's for a few solid reps.

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Juggernaut got it but mr yale has trouble understanding lower class humor Losen your tie bro
    Im sure you press 130bls db´s easy.
    My apologies; like I said, I ALWAYS have a hard time telling when you're joking...but, I should add that you, sir, have grossly insulted me by calling me a Yalie. Like my dear daddy always said, "you can always tell a Yale man, but you can never tell him much."

It´s ok. I ALWAYS (well almost) need a dictionary for your posts

I take it back if i offended you bro.

The honeymoon is over!!

Well guys, it appears this relationship may have been nothing more than a little 5 day pass fling. The very serious word from mgmt of this place is that it is being bought by none other than that purple-laden establishment I told you about a few months ago; the place with the alarm on the wall that goes off if someone drops a weight! I knew it was too good to be true..the first thing they'll do is get rid of the olympic platform and any dumbbells over 85, i just know it.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Big Green, I dont think I have ever seen anyone go through the selection process of picking a gym like you bro...LOL...I tell ya what, if ya wanna see a real gym, come down to Florida sometime bro and visit me, I'll take ya to GHFC.

Thread Information