chicamahomico is offline Respected Member

F*#king Superbowl on Candian tv!!!

well it's superbowl sunday and hahaha boy am I glad I have DirecTV. none of those SHITTY canadian commercials for me and my buds.
    I pity all the poor fellow canucks that have to miss out on the american commercials. Fuck the CRTC and fuck shaw, rogers and bell!!
    get directTV, it's the investment of a lifetime!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    The Score (the sports channel) will be showing all of the American commercials the day after the Super Bowl. So will AOL. Lots of websites will have them too. Without showing Canadian commercials, Canadian networks wouldn't be able to afford the cost of the broadcast.

David B. is offline Member
    The new commercials sucked almost as badly as the game.

--dnb

Ahhh the pleasures of StarChoice with a non local address

Simple trick...

CRTC rules say that if a local "Over the air" stations is showing a US show at the same time as a US network, then the cable/sattelite must replace it with the local feed. That means if FOX is showing the simpsons and Global too, then the cable/sat company must show the Global feed over FOX. It's called a "sim-sub". It's to support local advertisers (of course that makes no sense as they do not sim sub CTV Montreal over CTV Toronto when in Montreal, only US networks).

Sim-subbing is based on your postal code. To work around it, all you need to do is get a sattelite system (StarChoice or ExpressVu), and use a billing address where there are no "Over the air" stations Works fine for my StarChoice system! They got the address at my country house. As a result I get ALL the US networks in their original format, with no sim-subs and original US commercials.

Red

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    I believe it was channel 133

Aragorn

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup

Simple trick...

CRTC rules say that if a local "Over the air" stations is showing a US show at the same time as a US network, then the cable/sattelite must replace it with the local feed. That means if FOX is showing the simpsons and Global too, then the cable/sat company must show the Global feed over FOX. It's called a "sim-sub". It's to support local advertisers (of course that makes no sense as they do not sim sub CTV Montreal over CTV Toronto when in Montreal, only US networks).

Sim-subbing is based on your postal code. To work around it, all you need to do is get a sattelite system (StarChoice or ExpressVu), and use a billing address where there are no "Over the air" stations Works fine for my StarChoice system! They got the address at my country house. As a result I get ALL the US networks in their original format, with no sim-subs and original US commercials.

Red
    Kool ... I did not know that! Learn something new everyday

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Canadian networks wouldn't be able to afford the cost of the broadcast
    The game is boring enough without having to watch crappy low budget local comercials.

The new commercials sucked almost as badly as the game.
    Yes they did suck ass compared to most years, but I wrote this prior to the game.

This is an OK way to go but you miss out on the true power of direcTV if you are a legit subscriber. I recommmend a bootleged system; yes it is expensive to set up, but you get over 100 pay perview channels, 100 movie channels, every hockey, baseball, football, basketball and every other sport you would ever want to watch. Having all the channels all the time is the way to go.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    anybody remember the CAT HERDERS commercial a few years back.. funny shit!
    Last edited by symatech; 01-30-2003 at 12:26 AM.

Thread Information