Strut99GT is offline Member

Alright bros, need help diagnosing car starting problem!

Hey guys, this morning when I started my car, the following happened: When I turned the key, my car made the typical cranking and "starting" noise, but instead of transitioning to idle, died. Then, I turned the key again, and after the "starting" noise, I gave the car gas, and after puttering a little bit, it started. What does this sound like? Is it the idle air controller?

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    it means you live ih Fortworth the motor was cold and needed a little warming up.. nothing to worry about bro.. some cares need a couple cranks before they start up in hte cold weather

mammoth is offline Member
    Like jarrett said, probably just cold. Or it could be the throttle position sensor. More info on vehicle would be good.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    What kinda car? Year and Motor?? If you live in Fort Worth and it is an older motor with some "summer" oil in it, IE: 10w40 or some thing like that then the oil is gonna be realy thick. Then top it off with a small motor, like a 4 banger, and then it would all make sense..But give us some more info on the car.

Ford Mustang, 4.6L V8, 1999. Hehe, I always assume people can figure that stuff out from my name, but then I remember that this isn't a car forum. I'm pretty sure that it's the idle air controller, but yeah I think that it had more to do with the cold this morning than anything else, because when I went out for lunch this afternoon everything was fine.

Hmmm ford IAC's do get grungy.

If it gives you more trouble AND you know what you're doing, remove it from the manifold and take a look in it... it's probably fouled up.

(by the way did you make sure you let the fuel rail pressurize? as they age, fords get finniky about that... when starting it, turn on the key, wait 5 seconds and listen to fuel pump whine, and then start it)

Red

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Cold mornings in Fort Worth??? Try experiencing a Canadian winter. Some mornings I thank god for keyless entry because my locks freeze and the key won't go into the lock. If I've washed my car the previous night I have to worry about the door seal freezing. The windows are usually covered in frost every morning. The display on the CD player is so cold there is a delay before the numbers change (LCD is cold). However, no matter what the temperature (today it was -15 C) my car starts fine. I doubt cold weather would affect the starting of a 99 model.

footballcat is offline Associate Member
    www.corral.net

real good car forum to ask questions, and its just about mustangs

Originally posted by footballcat
    www.corral.net

real good car forum to ask questions, and its just about mustangs
    LOL, the corral was the first place I posted my question, but also the forum I got the least number of responses in. Hehe. I've been a member there for quite a while also.

Vaj10 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by mammoth
    Like jarrett said, probably just cold. Or it could be the throttle position sensor. More info on vehicle would be good.
    agreed, have your tps checked and your fuel pump

footballcat is offline Associate Member
    Im there everyday. Yeah I heard the mod forums blow. Im mostly in the lounge.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    Usually a clogged idle air valve will cause a surge at idle all the time. Sounds like the fuel might have been so cold it wouldnt vaporize. A miss calibrated tps would usually show similar surge. If the problem doesnt accur again no worries bro.

Originally posted by footballcat
    Im there everyday. Yeah I heard the mod forums blow. Im mostly in the lounge.
    Hehe, word up on that. I mostly a lurker there, though, and don't post very often. I used to be a "regular" over at mustangworld, but that board turned (for the most part, but definitely not completely) into a teeny-bopper flame-fest.

And guys, it hasn't happened since, so I'm pretty sure it was an isolated incident. Thanks for all the help though

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Hey man, I had the same problem once. Then it stopped and came back...and was going on and on almost every day. I think that it could be the oil leaking into the distributor.

Decoder is offline Banned
    It's a mustang there is your problem! :P

Cali is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    Cold mornings in Fort Worth??? Try experiencing a Canadian winter. Some mornings I thank god for keyless entry because my locks freeze and the key won't go into the lock. If I've washed my car the previous night I have to worry about the door seal freezing. The windows are usually covered in frost every morning. The display on the CD player is so cold there is a delay before the numbers change (LCD is cold). However, no matter what the temperature (today it was -15 C) my car starts fine. I doubt cold weather would affect the starting of a 99 model.
    LOL I was thinking the same thing!! You have it worse than me I would guess, Excess, but it gets cold in Fort Worth??? LOL

Haha, trust me, I have no illusions about it being "cold" here. Colder than a lot of places, but sure as hell not colder than up north! You Canadians are just nuts as far as I'm concerned. You know, I was asking a friend the other day, what is the temperature at which it's so cold that you can toss a cup of water and it falls to ice before it hits the ground?

And Decoder, word up on that Mustang comment, hehe.

And also, I've determined there is no problem...I just need to let the ignition set for a second or two when it's "cold" to let the fuel pump get going

Decoder is offline Banned
    I think its -40c i use to live in canada and i did that with coffee not water

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    its called you bought a silly american car, hahahahaha.

remember when we were freshmen in college and we both got new cars at the same time? and your dick grew 2 inches cuz of your big bad v8? well now its fallen off....

hehe, i'm just railing on ya...you know i've always thought that thing was obnoxiously loud...=P

-- clocky baby

Thread Information