thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

Abercrombie Discrimination Lawsuit Settlement (Discuss)

Ok, this has been a topic I've been following for quite some time. I'm of the opinion that a company may hire employee's based on any criteria that they please, including discriminatory policies. Constitutionally speaking, it is not within the government's purview to interfere with private business and ensure that companies are "diverse." You have the right to work, but you do not have the right to work for a specific company. This settlement decree is truly disturbing, and I believe it itself is discriminatory based on the terms that are set forth within it. It is a shame that political correctness and posturing has gone so incredibly far that a corporations hiring practices must be dictated to it by a bunch of bureaucrats and lawyers, because a few fat people felt that it was unfair they couldn't fold clothes up front with the people who can actually control shoving twinkies down their throats. I've added some commentary in red under the quoted section of the consent decree. These are basically terms in the settlement of the lawsuit that Abercrombie&Fitch Co. had to agree to in order to settle. I'd like to see some meaningful debate about this and Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. I believe both to be overly intrusive and destructive to the free market and to private enterprise, and furthermore I believe those policies to be institutionalized reverse racism, which automatically precludes a certain number of QUALIFIED applicants from receiving a job based STRICTLY on the color of their skin (white).

Ongoing Consent Decree Governs Abercrombie's Employment Practices into at Least 2009

The Consent Decree (settlement agreement) contains provisions related to the recruitment, hiring, job assignment, training, and promotion of Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and abercrombie kids employees. The Decree is effective immediately, pursuant to the Court's order. An appointed Monitor will regularly evaluate and report on Abercrombie’s compliance with the provisions in the Consent Decree. These provisions include:

* "Benchmarks" for hiring and promotion of women, Latinos, African Americans, and Asian Americans. These benchmarks are goals, rather than quotas, and Abercrombie will be required to report on its progress toward these goals at regular intervals;
    * A prohibition on targeting fraternities, sororities, or specific colleges for recruitment purposes;
    * Advertising of available positions in publications targeting minorities of both genders;
    * A new Office and Vice President of Diversity, responsible for reporting to the CEO on Abercrombie’s progress toward fair employment practices (the Office has already been created, and the VP has been hired and begun work);
    The company has to add a paid position to their list of employee's, to ensure "diversity" within the company. This completely violates the rights of corporations to be autonomous from government and to dictate their own hiring policies. Actions like these hurt only the consumers, as the additional expense of having to add positions to the company muts be paid for by raising prices on goods.
    * The hiring of 25 recruiters who will focus on and seek women and minority employees. (At least 24 of the 25 have already been hired, and are working.);
    Once again, hiring more employee's for needless positions to ensure 'diversity' in a private companies workforce. The additional costs of doing so will surely be passed on to the consumers.
    * Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Diversity Training for all employees with hiring authority;
    * Revision of Performance Evaluations for managers, making progress toward diversity goals a factor in their bonuses and compensation;
    Essentially, penalties for managers who don't appear to be making an effort to hire a diverse range of employee's. This means that managers are forced to consider not ONLY the applicants abilities, but ALSO their skin color when making a hiring decision. This by its very nature is a reverse racist policy, and sets the precedent for establishing a system of quotas.
    * A new internal complaint procedure; and
    * Abercrombie marketing materials will reflect diversity by including members of minority racial and ethnic groups.
    Once again, the private marketing practices of a private company are being dictated by bureaucrats for no other reason than certain "groups" of people are unhappy about a companies advertising. Perhaps there should be some class action lawsuits against Sean Jean or South Pole, for not having enough white people or Latinos in their advertising? Ridiculous.

In addition, Abercrombie created a $40 million Settlement Fund for distribution to individual class members. Abercrombie will also pay attorneys' fees and costs associated with monitoring compliance during the time that the Consent Decree is in effect (4.5 to 6 years from Final Approval, depending on Abercrombie’s progress). This will total approximately $10 million, bringing the total amount Abercrombie must pay to approximately $50 million. Click here to read the court-approved Consent Decree [pdf format]. The provisions in the Decree are currently in effect.
    “The young men and women who applied to work at Abercrombie should have been judged on their qualifications, and not their skin color or gender. The class action settlement compensates class members for being subjected to the challenged practices and ensures that Abercrombie will improve its employment practices and diversity efforts nationwide,'' commented Lieff Cabraser attorney Kelly M. Dermody.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    I did not know about this lawsuit. WOW

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There are many similar to this and I agree, it's WRONG.

Hooters had to hire flat and fat girls because they where discriminating.

I agree, they should be able to hire who they want.

I think I will look into suing NASA for not hiring me to be a rocket scientist. It should not matter i dont meet their criteria, I feel it's a discrimination against those who are not as educated as some. RIGHT?

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

I think I will look into suing NASA for not hiring me to be a rocket scientist. It should not matter i dont meet their criteria, I feel it's a discrimination against those who are not as educated as some. RIGHT?
    Holy shit, dude. I scrolled down to the quick reply box and started typing how I'm gonna sue NASA for only hiring really smart people and then I glanced up and saw your post. I guess it's true- stupid fvckers think alike. Too funny.....

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    lovbyts

VS.

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Holy shit, dude. I scrolled down to the quick reply box and started typing how I'm gonna sue NASA for only hiring really smart people and then I glanced up and saw your post. I guess it's true- stupid fvckers think alike. Too funny.....
    LOL Damn I guess we do,

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    NASA would be lucky to have you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    NASA would be lucky to have you both.
    Yeah, we can be the first chimps sent to Mars.

From most of the movies I have seen the martian women are pretty hot!!!

JDwag1536 and me.

Here is a picture of me with my future Martian girlfriend
    Last edited by lovbyts; 04-05-2010 at 04:21 AM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

You made it !!!

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    n_ggers: people that annoy you

naggers

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I used to work for abercrombie back in highschool and it's by far the absolute worst place to work for..... low pay..... hours suck..... and they made us buy their clothes to work there. Imagine having to buy abercormbie clothes which are WAAYYYY over priced with a low pay..... such a crock of shit. There was another class action lawsuit against them I believe and they had to pay every employee that worked for them.....

I'm not saying this lawsuit is right because it's not..... but I don't feel bad for abercrombie at all.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    agree that political correctness has gone too far. if visible minorities didn't feel they were equally represented with abercrombie employees, they wouldn't shop there. i don't know if that's the case. i do think that if you want to appeal to the broadest market to make the most money, you would do that anyways, but maybe that's not a&f's m.o. and they shouldn't be forced to operate that way. maybe they only want white, good-looking customers :-) why doesn't cover girl have to hire ugly models to represent?

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wantmoremass View Post
    agree that political correctness has gone too far. if visible minorities didn't feel they were equally represented with abercrombie employees, they wouldn't shop there. i don't know if that's the case. i do think that if you want to appeal to the broadest market to make the most money, you would do that anyways, but maybe that's not a&f's m.o. and they shouldn't be forced to operate that way. maybe they only want white, good-looking customers :-) why doesn't cover girl have to hire ugly models to represent?
    The next class action coming soon.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by wantmoremass View Post
    Ding Ding Ding!.... We have a winner. That is why an unfettered free market is the best check and balance against this sort of "unwanted" behavior by companies. If they engage in it, they are punished in their wallets! And then they leave themselves open for competitors to make the same product and to take those customers they have ignored. You do not need a judge or a legislator to intervene and nitpick every minute aspect of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I used to work for abercrombie back in highschool and it's by far the absolute worst place to work for..... low pay..... hours suck..... and they made us buy their clothes to work there. Imagine having to buy abercormbie clothes which are WAAYYYY over priced with a low pay..... such a crock of shit. There was another class action lawsuit against them I believe and they had to pay every employee that worked for them.....

I'm not saying this lawsuit is right because it's not..... but I don't feel bad for abercrombie at all.....

~Haz~
    Really? I though their prices where quite resonable. 2 years ago I bought my daughter (she is NOT into labels/names) a whole bunch of Abercrombie and Fitch shits and xxx. I think the most I paid was $3 for a shirt... I did buy them in Thailand or Philippines though. hahahaha

Clothes (yes I know most are fake name) CHEAP there. I brought home 5 Fendi purses I paid $20 each to give as presents. Real cost $1200 LOL I LOVE high quality imitation.

$3 a shirt!?!? LMFAO

no pair of jeans in abercrombie is under $90 and no shirt is under $40 LOL..... Now I don't mind paying those prices..... but I spend that money on A|X or Guess. Abercrombie wants to be a bigger lable than they are. Why go there when American Eagle is just about the same shit and costs way less.....

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    $3 a shirt!?!? LMFAO

no pair of jeans in abercrombie is under $90 and no shirt is under $40 LOL..... Now I don't mind paying those prices..... but I spend that money on A|X or Guess. Abercrombie wants to be a bigger lable than they are. Why go there when American Eagle is just about the same shit and costs way less.....

~Haz~
    Yes I know BUT if you know where to shop especially in the Philippines you can get ALL that stuff CHEAP. There are a LOT of knock offs but most are high quality and as far as shits/pants go who cares if they are made will and fit. Most of the shirts where real, the pants??? Still for $3 who cares.

The markets I go to there are not a lot of tourist though, 99% locals but the markets are HUGE.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Yes I know BUT if you know where to shop especially in the Philippines you can get ALL that stuff CHEAP. There are a LOT of knock offs but most are high quality and as far as shits/pants go who cares if they are made will and fit. Most of the shirts where real, the pants??? Still for $3 who cares.

The markets I go to there are not a lot of tourist though, 99% locals but the markets are HUGE.
    Abercrombie and Fitch is the childrens store and they generally have a cheap prices in there. My ex worked for them a long time ago.

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Who brought on this suit? Cuz I'm curious wut Black and Latino is really rushing to put in an application to work there??

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    Abercrombie and Fitch is the childrens store and they generally have a cheap prices in there. My ex worked for them a long time ago.
    they have AFitch for kids and AFitch for adults..... I worked for the adult one and bought clothes from there for years..... no way in hell are they "cheap"

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Virtually all businesses descriminate, a couple jobs ago, they would not hire anybody except white people and only women for cashier positions. Their would be too much awkwardness hiring anybody else.

Over at my current job which is for a large corporation they will every once in a while hire a couple of middle easterns, blacks, etc. But if you look in the store it looks like they decriminate, all of the minorities end up quitting for one reason or another or get fired for stealing (no lie).

Thread Information