Thread: adonis complex

skinnyhb is offline Member

adonis complex

has anyone ever read this book? i have just started it and am already identifying with nearly everything that has been stated or made reference to. just wondering about other peoples thoughts on it.

little_indian is offline New Member
    I have read a short review of the same. Even I could identify with what was written to some extent.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    skinnyhb - I wouldn't worry....i have read the book over and over and often cite it tangentially in my work, but, truth be told, I consider it alarmist in the same sense of "alcoholism" - and those either in school or recently out will know what i mean. Anytime you get caught drinking under 21 you're made to take an alcohol survey to which virtually every one is "officially" an alcoholic (like you're an alcoholic if you intentionally drink to get drunk, have more than five drinks in one sitting, etc, etc). In the same sense that such a survey makes everyone out to be an alcoholic (and in the process diminishes the signifance of true alcholism in my opinion), The Adonis Complex paints virtually every bodybuilder as a body dysmorphic, and, in the process, similarly diminishes the need to address TRUE muscular dsymorphia.

skinnyhb is offline Member
    no, im not worried about anything. if anything, it makes me feel better about my appearance and my situation in life.

Thread Information