BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

(yet another) I can't stomach "Joe Gymgoer" Thread

This one has a little bit of a twist though...so read on.

Anyway, as a few of you know, I work in a gym a few hours a week, mostly so that they'll let train my clients there for MY hourly rate without a cut...but that's beside the point.

At any rate, the manager elected to move the weight room around a bit, and, as he admitted he knew very little about what equipment was in vogue or otherwise desired by members, or even what equipment was outdated and unsafe, he gave myself and another staff member total discretion in deciding what stayed and what went so that we might efficiently rearrange this crowded and cluttered weight room.

Most equipment stayed but we did end up getting rid of one of the OLD nautilus leg extension machines where your upper legs are reclined at about a 50 degree angle or so for three reasons: 1. it was RARELY used, 2. it is my understanding (as well as that of the full time trainer) that the reason they do not make leg extension machines with that angle as part of the design is because it put the knee in a compromising position and 3. EXACTLY 51'7" away (I measured...you'll see why) is a brand new nautilus leg extension machine that, opposed to being in the free weight area, is over in the nautilus area.

Well, last night, "Joe Gymgoer", an older gent in his 40's whom I routinely see "knee bending" 315 rather than squatting it, 1/16 range repping 800 pounds on the leg press rather than actually leg pressing it and doing what can only be called "elbow unlocks" with 225 instead of bench (yet he claims to squat 315, leg press 800 and bench 225...so you get an idea of who he is), sauntered up to me (in the middle of my f'in workout, no less) with his arms held wide, clearly suffering from ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome) and, rather than politely asking a question, said, "what'd ya do wit da leg extension?"

"Well, sir" I replied, "after considering the room we had in the free weight area and the fact that this particular machine was likely our most unsafe apparatus, we decided that it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience for those actually looking to work out their legs to have to walk sixty feet or so (which is why i actually measured after the fact...so when the bastard has another snide remark i can whip out statistics) to use the other leg extension."

"Yeah, but it's not near the leg press now." Clearly, i was dealing with a man of acute observational skill. "I like to supah-set my leg presses and extensions...(and I SWEAR he said this)...that's the only way you're ever gonna get trunks like this." AND HE PULLED UP HIS SHORT LEGS!!!!! and did what can only be described as trying to flex his quads as he said (and i'm being serious here), "but I guess beach muscle guys don't understand that". NEver mind that my chest is my worst bodypart, my thighs around 28" and my bodyweight about thirty pounds higher than his with about a third of the bodyfat.

I attempted to explain the situation again, stressing that it was still possible to superset with a brief walk that may even help stretch out the legs briefly after a heavy set of leg presses and politely (honestly, i was still being polite) explained that for a month we had posted a flyer saying we were planning on doing some serious revisions and reworkings of the layout, and all members were encouraged to speak to any staff member about their concerns, which many did and a great deal were considered in our planning. His only reply was "whatta you, insulting me....is this some kinda insult?" I laughed and walked away, but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BigGreen; 02-19-2003 at 03:05 PM.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    lol WOW, that's some serious control man!!! i'da had a hard time not clockin the guy!!!

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    next time if he says something kick his asss

KeyMastur is offline VET
    seriously, how could you NOT call him out on the way he works out ???

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I like how you had all the satistics ready. Because you knew Joe Gymgoer was going to approach you on this one. Guys like this kill me. I would have had a hard time not calling him out myself but after hearing what you did I don't think that there is a better way to deal with it. With little to no reaction from you and simply keeping your composure you came out the better man.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Tell him he can move the machine over to the legpress if he moves it back when his done

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by palme
    Tell him he can move the machine over to the legpress if he moves it back when his done

Colibri is offline Banned
    Should have shot him.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Honestly, I probably would've been a prick if the way he works out doesn't already have him the joke of the gym...but, as it was, it was sorta like being called a pussy by woody allen - all you can do is laugh.

Well, at least he tries... you got to give him that much.

Red

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by palme
    That was damn funny!

Thread Information