EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Neck problems from whiplash!! Any advice?

I was rear-ended (shutup smartasses ) almost 3 years ago. The problems went away until the start of this year, but now its back and worse than ever. I've done the doctor/physio thing but I'd also like to know if anybody here has been through this experience. If so, did anything in particular work well to help heal the injury? Here's what you need to know:
    • I'm seeing the doctor and doing physio.
    • I don't want to take pain killers. I can take the aching pain...its the sharp pains that prevent me from upper body workouts that concern me.
    • I'm interested in stretches, pillows, special rehab, etc.

Thanks for any help!
    EXCESS

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I have had a few back injuries in the past and the only thing that cured my problem was a combination of massage therapy and chiropatorary. I highly suggest them. I was in such pain just a few months ago that I had trouble pulling my pants up or tieing my shoes and with a few adjustments "TO MY SPINE" (Smartasses) I was cured.

A great stretch for the neck is to extend you arm out to your side, with your palm open facing forward and fingers pointed to the ground. Yes the is a little ackward but you will say "wow that really works" and then lean your head away from your arm. It stretchs out all the neck muscle hold for 10-15 secs and repeat on the other side. This has also worked for me.

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks Shredz! I'm about to give massage therapy a try. I've been told that my problem is a soft tissue injury and that a chiropractor isn't the best choice for me. I will however give that a try if massage therapy doesn't do the trick.

I tried that stretch and it works well. I'm thinking about doing morning cardio and stretching on a regular basis. I've been out of commission off and on for 2 months now and I'm ready to try anything...well, not everything (had to put that because FI will say something smart).

BostonBobby is offline Associate Member
    I got pain in my back still I got this heat thing.. It's filled with like beans or something I dunno you toss it in the microwave.. Gets really hott toss it on your back should help..

B

Originally posted by BostonBobby
    I got pain in my back still I got this heat thing.. It's filled with like beans or something I dunno you toss it in the microwave.. Gets really hott toss it on your back should help.
    I bought one the week after the car accident. That's the only way I can fall asleep on my back. I'm thinking about getting one of those curved pillows.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i know how you feel....i have written many times about my neck injury in jan of 99. it took 6 months before i could train--i crushed the bracheal nerve in my neck and it was a mess.

the things that helped was my chiro(i swear by them) and anti-inflamatories. also lots of pain killers for first few months---the burning pain was unbearable because of nerve injurry

BostonBobby is offline Associate Member
    What did you do for the buring pain I got that in my foot... It's horrible.. Everynight it kicks into full force and it's so hard to fall asleep...

B

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    those tempurpedic beds/pillows that are made out of the NASA material are really good for improving posture by providing proper support. i have the pillow and i never have felt any tension in my neck when i wake up. i used to wake up with kinks in my neck or soreness but not any more. they might seem like a gimmick, but they really do help. now all i need is another 2 grand to buy the damn bed...

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I have a bunch of jokes and no were to put them (before you say it, up yours bitch! ).

Have you ever thought about that chinese thing? With the darts? Akopuncture(sp). Everyone says it works.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Neck problems from whiplash!! Any advice?

Originally posted by EXCESS
    I was rear-ended
    HOMO Now when are u going to be serious for once and tell us something we don't know already

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Let me know how you make out with the massage therapy. I am going to see my chiropractor on Feb 25th. I will ask him about your injury and if he recommends an adjustment. It is always nice to have 2 or more different views.

If you could PM me with the details so I know what to tell him it would make it a lot easier on him and me trying to figure out what exactly is going wrong.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    boston i was given neurotronin---it took away the burning pain and tingles

Thanks for the help guys. I'll update this thread when I get some more treatment.

Thread Information