Thread: body fat?

flexshack is offline Member

body fat?

hey guys
    what is the most accurate way of measuring bf and where can it be done and how much does it cost? i have heard that the best way is hydrostatic weighing? i think thats what its called but not sure, it has been a while since i've heard it. i think it requires a pool and some sort of professional device to do. not sure. thanks
    flex

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I've heard the exact same thing FS. There is also calipers, the Tanita scale and electro impedence(I think that's what it's called). I really should know what this method is actually called, but essentially it sends a current through the body. Electricity flows through fat at a different rate than muscle, so it gives you a measurement and a formula is used to calculate BF. Jason is probably the best person to field this question.

Pete

flexshack is offline Member
    very interesting. i wonder where i could get this procedure done and for how much $$? calipers, i hear, are very inaccurate unless you have special very precise ones. i used to have a sports medicine and exercise physiology professor that had a pair. he said they cost in the area of $200!! thats crazy imo. anyway, thanks pete.
    flex

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I think calipers give the average person a very good indication of the b,f maybe if you were competing you may want to weigh the fat a different way but it is expensive

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    The water test thingie (yes thats the tech name) is $40 at my gym. You can get a cheap pair of calipers for $15 if you do a net search for them. I got a digital one for about $40

bigtraps is offline Member
    Calipers IMO are fairly acurate. I get it done at the gym.
    I allways have the same trainer do it for me, that way things stay most consistant. allows for more acurate measurement everytime. My trainer pinches 3 spots, the same 3 spots everytime. Chest, quad, and abs.

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    i agree i actually had the water test done at my school sports medicine department....and the results came back saying i was 5.5% bf and I KNOW im not 5.5% i had the calipers done on six different areas and the results where better at 9%.....calipers are accurate enough in my opinion and most gyms do it for free around my area

gorilla

primodonna is offline Female Member
    not really an answer, but whatever method you use...it is wise to use the exact same method for every other time you take it or else you really will have NO way of knowing what changes you made...if it's calipers, have the same person do it...if it's another method, do it that way again and again...
    What happens here, stays here

Thread Information