Thread: Vacation spot

edgarr is offline Member

Vacation spot

Looking for some ideas. Every year I take the fam on a vacation over xmas week somewhere. We've been to Cancun, Caymans, Costa Rica, Naples, Puerto vallarta and now looking for a new spot. I perfer outside the USA and thinking Belize, Honduras or Cabo. Has anyone been to either of these places? Any other ideas would be highly welcome.

We stay very active during these vacations with things like surfing, boat charters, fishing charters, zip line, sky diving so looking for those kind of spots. Thanks!

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Honduras and Cabo are nice. Thailand, Rio de Janeiro, and Jamaica are good places although Rio is more of a romantic spot rather than family oriented IMO.

I know you want outside of the U.S. but I lived in Hawaii for a little while and this place has everything you are looking for.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I have been to many of those places you mentioned....but as far as Belize? ( San Pedro to be specific)---specializes in Scuba Diving....when I was there I did not see much else for family stuff.... but then again.. this was a few years ago.
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 09-29-2010 at 09:23 AM.

edgarr is offline Member
    I would love to o to Hawaii but I will be traveling with a 14 month old and not sure he can take the flight from Chicago.

have you ever tried a club med? if not, they are great for families....ex: they have a kids's camp..(included) where the kids go all day ( should you decide to do so or you can keep them with you..it is up to you on a day to day basis) and then the kids are brought back to you at dinnertime after their long day of fun...plus so many sports and excursions outside the village if you want to see the local culture....

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    have you ever tried a club med? if not, they are great for families....ex: they have a kids's camp..(included) where the kids go all day ( should you decide to do so or you can keep them with you..it is up to you on a day to day basis) and then the kids are brought back to you at dinnertime after their long day of fun...plus so many sports and excursions outside the village if you want to see the local culture....
    i thought those were very structured? it will be a group of 6 plus a baby so we always rent a house.

dosXX is offline Member
    I was just about to suggest Maui. They have tons of family activities like whale watching (seasonal), scuba diving , snorkeling, surfing, body surfing, parasailing, fishing, jet skiing (seasonal not avail during whale season), zip line, hiking, biking, golf, and more other stuff. Oh yeah, I almost forgot plenty of nice beaches - very quiet and hardly crowded. As for accommodation, there is a lot of rental properties available from condos to beach front plenty to choose from.

edgarr is offline Member
    9 hour flight could be hard for a 14 month old but maybe we break it up with a lay over. Hawaii keeps coming up as the spot to go.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    my dad lives in Hawaii.. its nice.. great deals due to recession.. it is much more expensive then it used to be.. take a lay over in san francisco.. spend a day there on your way over if you can its a great town

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    Antigua.

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    You said long flights would be hard, but I'd go to Bora Bora. If not, I'm going to Costa Rica or Rio. Though I hear Cuban restrictions on travel have eased, I'm just not sure how much.

40plusnewbie is offline Senior Member
    In Minas Gerais, which is in the 'state' of Governador Valadares in Brazil this city is known as the hang gliding capital of the world. I own a couple of condo's in Brazil (they call them apartments there) on in Minas Gerais for the proximity to hang gliding utopia and another in Vitoria which is essentially an island off the coast of Espirito Santo, and also that state's capital.

However traveling and visiting Brazil with a family one must take extra cautionary measures as it is a 3rd world country, a very beautiful one though. Brazilians are the most friendly people I have ever met in my life, my wife is Brazilian. If you decide to venture to Brazil it would be wise to consult with a travel agent familiar with Brazil so that you could be in places that are not dangerous as some area's are notorious for drug related violence.

But the feeling of hang gliding.... flying like a bird.... it is amazing. I think everyone (not afraid of heights) should try it at least once, even if it's in tandem with an experienced 'pilot' harnessed to the hang glider with them... which is a requirement until one achieves enough skill and demonstrates such to be able to legally hang glide solo.

Punta Cana.....and I will join you!

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Punta Cana.....and I will join you!
    Now that looks nice!!

Brewster is offline Member
    Jamaica....

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    a girl you don't know's spot :P

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I use to do the same. Mexico, Hawaii, Belieze, Bahamas etc. Then I finally went to Thailand. That was it, Thailand was the spot. It was the first place I ever went I felt sick when I had to leave and bought my next ticket to go back the same day I got home.

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I use to do the same. Mexico, Hawaii, Belieze, Bahamas etc. Then I finally went to Thailand. That was it, Thailand was the spot. It was the first place I ever went I felt sick when I had to leave and bought my next ticket to go back the same day I got home.
    Long flight from Chicago!!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarr View Post
    Long flight from Chicago!!
    Just as long from Seattle, Worth it every time.

THF
    THF is offline New Member
    after 32 years on this earth, i have never been outside of california, other then oregon and washington, but they all look the same. terrified of flying.

edgarr is offline Member
    well we are going to Panama! Found a gorgous house in a town called David. We will also be spending New Years eve in Panama city. Anyone ever been? If so any tips?

Thanks

Thread Information