Shredz is offline Respected Member

How is this for an idea!!

I have been noticing a lot of newbie members who obviously don't read the rules come on here and in their first couple of posts sometimes even their first damn post and start asking for sources in the open board.

So I wanted to drop this idea here. I propose that these members be banned immediately when they post a source questions. And with this comes a message when they try to log in next time. Something along these lines.

"Next time read the rules you plug!!!"

This just gets on me because they think that people are going to release such info when they are completely unknown. Were does common sence kick in???

What is your guys take on this one???

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Does my opinion count?
    That's not going to happen. I know it is frustrating sometimes, but think how many guys have been here, made a mistake, learned their lesson and became a very productive member of the board. If nothing else, I need to find a better way to let them know, not to post a source. It will not happen for a couple of months because the vbulletin is STILL in beta. But it will happen soon. I am hoping that I could put a hack up that would warn people about asking for sources upon regstration somehow. But we cannot ban someone for not knowing the rules, when they never read them.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Instead of banning what about a suspension with a reason why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    Does my opinion count?
    That's not going to happen. I know it is frustrating sometimes, but think how many guys have been here, made a mistake, learned their lesson and became a very productive member of the board. If nothing else, I need to find a better way to let them know, not to post a source. It will not happen for a couple of months because the vbulletin is STILL in beta. But it will happen soon. I am hoping that I could put a hack up that would warn people about asking for sources upon regstration somehow. But we cannot ban someone for not knowing the rules, when they never read them.
    I am just vented PT but I am sure you know what I am trying to get across. I like the idea of a banner that they have to click off when they are a newbie when they log it or what ever. Something to remind them...I am sure you can come up with a better idea.

Oh and about your opinion mattering?? Quite frankly we are about to have a mutiny here at AR and leadership will be changing...

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    If I were allowed to openly post, here is what I would openly suggest:

When a new account is created, a simple "quiz" pops up on screen of the "mouse click the yes or no" variety (or the yes and NEVER variety). I'd suspect it's easy to do since my girlfriend, who knows very little about web design and such, creates online quizzes of that fashion for her students.

Once the account is created, there could be three bulleted questions with the only options being YES and NEVER!

1. Am I allowed to openly ask for a source on this board?
    2. Can I post the name or any critical information of a source (mine or otherwise) openly on this board?
    3. Did I just go back and reread my answer choices to #1 and #2?

Answer key

1. NEVER!
    2. NEVER!
    3. YES

If, for some absurd reason, they don't pick the right answers, it'd be easy enough to get them on the second go around. But, either way, wouldn't this at least force them to see two of the more important rules? I don't think most doing it are saying "screw the rules, I need this", it's just that there are a number of open source boards and i can see where the confusion would be generated.

Anyway, if I were allowed to hit the "submit" button, that's what I'd say.

I see everyone's point here, and it is very frustrating. It's the same as when I get PMs that are the same, day in and day out. I promise to each of you, that I will try to find a way to improve this, but it will be a couple of months. When you the board suddenly looks different (which will happen with the next update), someone bumps this thread up and I will do what I can.

Sounds good PT

In the mean time lets keep the ideas following!!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Right on PT!!!

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    HOW BOUT. They have to click on a few posts before they can click on any others. Those posts being info posts such as source posting, beginner cycles, and or some other posts.
    Right when they register the only threads available to them are like the 3 basic threads. Once they have clicked on them then they are free to roam....

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    HOW BOUT. They have to click on a few posts before they can click on any others. Those posts being info posts such as source posting, beginner cycles, and or some other posts.
    Right when they register the only threads available to them are like the 3 basic threads. Once they have clicked on them then they are free to roam....
    I don't think this idea would work to well since if I am not mistaken you had to click on something to verify that you read the rules. Correct me if I am wrong it has been quite some time since I joined this board. With you idea what is to stop them from just clicking what they need to click without even reading anything.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    How about when someone first logs on as a newbie, they can only gain access to the educational threads and the rules threads. Than after completion of reading most, if not all they can than gain access to the rest of the board? Don't know if it's at all possible but it's an idea. Either way it doesn't matter, no matter what precaustions we take to help prevent the same questions being asked..... they're still going to be asked.

I need everyone to remember that technology will only allow me to do so much. You also have to remember that certain things that we impliment, will possibly affect you too. It will most likely have to be done with cookies (in cases where they have to view certain things before they view the rest of the board) and if you ever clear your cookies you will be affected by it as well.
    I don't think we can make it a job just to get to the steroid questions board. I want them to be able to read everything they want to be able to read without causing problems.

Possible solutions could be a short screen that pops up whenever someone enter the Steroid Questions board, warning them about source posting, but again this would possibly affect everyone, every time they enter the steroid questions board. Can you imagine how many complaints will occur?

Another possibility is to have a mandatory post somewhere on the board before they can post in the steroid questions board, but this is done on a timer now, and from experience (last night in fact), this is VERY ANNOYING! I made 10 stupid random posts before I could post on another message board, and I almost left the board because it was so frustrating.

I do have a possible suggestion for you though. A long time ago, members automatically got a PM when they first joined. That has not happened since we upgraded to Vbulletin 3. Once this thing goes final release, I will see if I can get a hack made that will give new users a PM upon registration that warns them about source posting. Not all will follow it, but it will at least force them to understand the rules, as well as not annoy the members that are already on here.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    hey ptbyjason

is there any way that you can fix it so that in order to become a member you have to reed the rules first. kind of like a disclaimer and if they click agree then they have agreed to not post anything about sources, so if they do post then you can ban them for not following the rules. i like this idea anyone else???

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Lets just ban shredz so we dont hafto take his damn whinning all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hercules88
    hey ptbyjason

is there any way that you can fix it so that in order to become a member you have to reed the rules first. kind of like a disclaimer and if they click agree then they have agreed to not post anything about sources, so if they do post then you can ban them for not following the rules. i like this idea anyone else???
    Well, whenever you register, there is a screen that you have to agree to. I could edit it to include no source posting.

Quote Originally Posted by palme

I'll second that. All in favor, say "I".

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    "I"

New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    Why not just have a "terms of service" agreement before they are allowed to sign up. List the important rules and they have to click agree or they cant continue??

Sorry bro's didnt read Hercules post too well he already suggested my idea........ DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    "I"
    LOL, anyone else?

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    LOL, anyone else?
    I

"I" , you could call it New Gear Guy's Terms of Service agreement for new gear guys!!! J/K!!!!!!!!

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Lets just select certain individuals who live in their state to go over and sock em in the eye if they violate the rules..... That sounds realistic....

I am going home and taking my ball with me...never new you guys felt this way about me. I am hurt!!! :dissapoin

Shredz----> <---- Palme

Don't make me go postal!!!

Give back to ball man, your not making any new friends behaving like that

mass junkie is offline banned
    Give back to ball man, your not making any new friends behaving like that
    Palme isnt it past your bed time?

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Palme isnt it past your bed time?
    My mom is sleeping

My mom is sleeping
    ok ill make sure not to make to much noise then......

Right dont wanna make mommy upset

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Jason have you considered the idea of an alert box? Here's my idea so bare with me.

After your members first register and access the forums as a member for say the first week have an alert box that comes up everytime they try to sign in to their account. The alert box could be just a warning, this is all most people need anyhow. And if want to upgrade and become a premium member the alert box will go away instantly

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    in my opinion i think a simple alert box will cut down in this probelm.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    "Next time read the rules you plug!!!"
    hehe, plug...

i like the idea of having to take a multiple choice test before allowed to become a member...=)

-- clocky

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    hehe, plug...

i like the idea of having to take a multiple choice test before allowed to become a member...=)

-- clocky
    fuck that.....I never would of passed...............knowing what I knew then............but now is a differnt story

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    fuck that.....I never would of passed...............knowing what I knew then............but now is a differnt story
    Palme would be right along with you...he would be on his 4000th user name and still unable to make his first post.

Palme would be right along with you...he would be on his 4000th user name and still unable to make his first post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    Jason have you considered the idea of an alert box? Here's my idea so bare with me.

After your members first register and access the forums as a member for say the first week have an alert box that comes up everytime they try to sign in to their account. The alert box could be just a warning, this is all most people need anyhow. And if want to upgrade and become a premium member the alert box will go away instantly
    That has potential because it could be done on a timer based on registration date. I don't want to annoy someone for a week though. If someone did that to me, I would leave. Maybe when they entered the Steroid Questions board only. I don't know, but that is a different idea, that I will think about. Thanks bro.

Yet another example!!!

http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=69700

Have we come up with anything in regards to this yet?

Yet another example!!!

http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=69700

Have we come up with anything in regards to this yet?
    got it, thanks bro

Thread Information