Shredz is offline Respected Member

Calling all Mechanics!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4 and it seems that my tranny is slipping. When I am accelerating slow or fast and it is about to change from 3rd to 4th(it is automatic) the RPM's rev up another 500-1000 rpms then drops back to where it is suppposed to be and then it goes into gear. Now when it changes it is smooth no clucking or sounds.

Another thing is does is if I am driving on the highway 100km/h or 60mph and then hammer the gas down it normally shifts down a gear so that it can accelerate faster like everyone elses vehicle. Well when it attempts to shift down it falls into neutral and the rpms rev out. I take my foot off the accelerater and it goes back into gear and drives fine.

I am going to take it in to have someone take a look at it..but I was hoping that someone here might give me some insite as to what the problem may be. The warrenty is over now and I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance

Shredz

Start with the simlpe stuff...

Have you checked the fluid level in your tranny? A leaking tranny cooling line can cause a world of trouble.

Sounds like slippage though, no miracle solutions to that you'll probably need to get it rebuilt in time. How much mileage do you have on the truck?

Have a look at the following link for NTSB Service Bulletins...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...hTopic=Vehicle

Red

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    is the powertrain warranty still in effect cause a tranny would take alot of your gear money away.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    i know this is prolly something u know but when u check the tranny fluid make sure the car is running or it will always show it as full
    JLI

Yes I have checked the tranny fluid..while the truck is running. The levels are perfect and I have no leaks from the tranny. I have not done any tranny service to date but I am due soon. There is 70,000km on it and the power train warrenty is not extended and was only up till 60,000. It is a FORD so this is to be expected I guess.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    well u can have a tranny rebuild for 400 or so prolly just check around and make sure they do it right the first time stay away from dealers they will be way more expensive
    JLI

Thanks for all your help..everyone. I will let you know what happens...and yes I will stay away from the dealers.

Anyone else have any ideas????

mammoth is offline Member
    I am definitely not a mechanic but I can speak from experience. I had a dodge 1500 that had problems exactly like what you were describing. It turned out to be two different things. The torque converter had to be replaced and also the erratic shift chip had to be replaced. I replaced the torque converter but I didn't replace the chip. Too much damn money.

I just dropped the truck off...They said that there have been problems with this tranny in the past on other explorers and they believed they knew what the problem was. It was list in the TSA. They said that they would look into getting Ford to give some help with the price. It was quoted so far at $660 if what they expect is the problem is infact the problem.

Hope this works out for the best

Thread Information