View Poll Results: Do you do volunteer work?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do

5 50.00%
  • No I do not

5 50.00%

Question Do you volunteer?

Well, in the great tradition of the "getting to know each other" threads, here is another interesting one...

Do you do any volunteer work? If so why and what kind? If not, then why?

I'll get this ball rolling

Personally I really enjoy doing volunteer work for my community.

I've been involved 15 years with the Boy Scouts, occasionally volunteer at a local homeless shelter and volunteered 5+ years for my fire department before we went full pay.

Why do I do it? Well, it makes me feel like I am worth somthing, and if it happens to help someone in return, then great!

Red

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    No I do not. However I have thought about it sometimes, and think it would be cool. But overall i'm just such a big pussy and get so nervous easily, I'm in a sense almost scared to help others!!!

I have thought about stuff like Pee Wee sports (coaching/running) also things like Big Brother.

Not sure as of yet...maybe down the road.

Farmer is offline Member
    I am really trying to get into volunteering. I work for UPS and I am on the retention committe and I coordinated a food drive for a shelter for abused women. It was cool because I felt like I was really helping, especially when I was able to deliver the food and see how grateful they were. I wish I could help out more but I am really pressed with time while working 7 days a week and going to school full time.

Peace

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i saved some baby ducks out of a drain last week. does that count. shit it counted with my hot ass neighbor. the top to the drain was like 300lb so you know i had to take my shirt off bf i lifted it flexing the bi's and all. i must say i felt pretty good after savin those little shits

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i like voluntering for my community
    i just want to give back what others didnt give me
    i grow up in a bad neighbour hood and if you have wear baggy jeans or whatever you already labeled, i'm trying to show people not all of us socalled "thugs or gangbangers" are not like that
    i feel good giving to the younger kids in my neighbour hood
    cause i been what they going through, i'd like to guide them
    help them anyway possible. it just feels good giving back to the place where you grew up

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    No i have done some stuff with my school, but that doesn't really count. I wanna get into though. I wanna volly at a sick kids hospital, but im not sure how to do it though. I have a really weak heart when it comes to kids with serious illness. I wanna start something. When i get into a department, I will devote some time to sick kids. Just so i have a title, you know what i mean. Firefighter B, instead of Jackarse off the street B.. haha

mammoth is offline Member
    I have a friend who volunteers with the Special Olympics, which is something that I would love to do. I just don't have the available time! Work, Gym, and family take up all my time!

Kudos to all the guys who do volunteer! We need more of you in our communities! Especially Yung Wun!

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    I've coached High School Football for the past 3 years (put in approximately 200+ hrs a season)-our whole coaching staff is on a volunteer basis, though i was approached by the Head Coach to become a member of the coaching staff

I should go way more often buy i occasionaly go to a playschool thats run out of a church basment to help out with the kids

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    Yeah i used to coach at my highschool to while I was playing semi-pro ball

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i used to work with poor children teaching them computers but the club i taught at closed and sadly there isnt any way i can cover those expenses so i had to stop.

Originally posted by mammoth
    Kudos to all the guys who do volunteer! We need more of you in our communities! Especially Yung Wun!
    thanks brotha

Thumbs up

Kudos to all the guys who do volunteer!

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Big Brothers Big Sisters here.

D

justme is offline Associate Member
    My wife just got me involved in volunteering. I will be doing a few sessions of hypnosis at a retreat for Care Givers to Mentaly and Physicaly challenged kids, teens and adults.

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    At the moment I don't but I worked two years with handicapped students making the transition into living on their own. I recommend it for sure as you get far more out of it then you can ever imagine.

Aragorn

candog22 is offline Junior Member
    I used to volunteer for the Home for Little Wanderers - thru my job - a foster care facility for at-risk youths, we'd go once a month an celebrate thier birthdays with them - but now that Im not working at that company, I kind of cut that out - but I should find something else to do....

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    This is a good thread!! It shows everyone who may read these threads that we all have our own way of contributing something to society.

Me and my wife spend a month or two every year volunteering in a impoverished country helping to provide medical care. Besides me being a Doc she is a nurse so it works out well for us. It is especially nice since we don't work together back home and I can give her orders everyday for at least a month out of the year. Payback!!!

Somalia, Tibet, Afghanistan to name a few. It is strictly voluntary so it does cost quite a bit of money, but it is well worth it. Unfortaunately this year we will not be able to since we are expecting our first child. Maybe the year after, who knows!!

Doc M

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i tutor children at a local high middle school and also do some habitat for humanity projects. at first what started out as a resume padding has turned into a worthwhile experience for me now that my heart is in the right place. i think many times we don't realize how well off we really are until we volunteer and impact the lives of those around us that we otherwise wouldn't help. community service has put social and racial issues into better perspective for me and i can say i am more of a man for it.

You bros are awesome!

Glad to see so many of you enjoy "giving back".

Red

Thread Information