m16a2 is offline Senior Member

The National Guard

Is anyone currently an active member in the national guard? I am thinking about joining, and was wondering how boot camp will be, and how hard it will be to manage school fulltime. Also wondering about everything else, but this is a start.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    im not in it but the boot camp should not be hard at all. prolly safe to say its a cake walk. I also understand that they just requiere 1 weekend a month (or maybe thats the reserves) i dunno but heres a bump for you since im not that much help

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    well ill tell you one thing.. Dont think your getting out of shit if you are in national guard or national guard reserve. My friend just got home from being stationed in afganistan for 8 months with the engineering battallion. I would have never thought that the national guard reserve would be sent to afganistan but sure enough he was and he just got home.. its like 1 weekend every month or two and two weeks out of the year. And from what I understand you are in the same bootcamp as everyone else bro.

Originally posted by FKITLETSGO
    well ill tell you one thing.. Dont think your getting out of shit if you are in national guard or national guard reserve. My friend just got home from being stationed in afganistan for 8 months with the engineering battallion. I would have never thought that the national guard reserve would be sent to afganistan but sure enough he was and he just got home.. its like 1 weekend every month or two and two weeks out of the year. And from what I understand you are in the same bootcamp as everyone else bro.
    Well, actually its the national guard bootcamp, which is just for those who are going into the national guard. Also, they won't be putting me active until I finish the specialized training, which isn't gonna happen till NEXT summer. Hopefully all this shit will be over by then, or I'm gonna be finding myself in a shithole.

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    Yep goodluck bro i wasnt' aware of the different bootcamp for national guard, im guessing that is a relief though.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Marine Corps Reserves - if you can handle it

Originally posted by Warrior
    Marine Corps Reserves - if you can handle it
    Actually the national guard is better because it will least interrupt your life. (better for me, that is)

Well good luck to ya - I just knew a lot of people who would say "I was going to join the Corps but..." - and once you do Marine Corps boot camp you can transfer into any other service without going through their basic training.

But hey, if you just want to serve locally for you state - good luck, if you descide you like the atmosphere and want to try something with more structure to it - a Marine recruiter ain't to hard to pick out.

Definitely bro! I'm looking to help my country, but its the benefits that are really driving me in this exact situation. I am gonna get ALOT out of this, so I'm kinda excited to do it.

I HEARD in service tuition assistance is at 100 percent right now, I believe for reserves too... not sure though. It was 90 percent for active duty when I was in.

The US military wants smart Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines... and Squids too . So your command should deffinitly support your school work. Try and meet with the local command in your state before you enlist and find out. Ask some of the lower ranks if they have had a difficult time w/ school work. I think you will find most of them doing the same thing you are planning on doing.

Most active duty military are enrolled into college because of the free tuition - at least those that aren't getting called out every few months... but even then - you can always CLEP a class while overseas... depends on how bad you want the education.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Originally posted by FKITLETSGO

my friend just got home as well....he was with the baton rouge nat. guard unit........don't do it bro....i also have 3 other frineds with the nat guard that just got shipped off a month or so ago, i'm patriotic and shit, but fuck that

Originally posted by Big Rush

my friend just got home as well....he was with the baton rouge nat. guard unit........don't do it bro....i also have 3 other frineds with the nat guard that just got shipped off a month or so ago, i'm patriotic and shit, but fuck that
    I know the recruiters are shady, but he assured me that its not even a possibility. Plus since I have college education and I will probably score well on the tests that they wouldn't even think about putting me in any infantry or anything of the sort.

I mean, I don't necessarily like all the risks I'm gonna be taking, but for me this will really help me out in alot of ways.

Originally posted by rampage76

I know the recruiters are shady, but he assured me that its not even a possibility.

One of my bros down in the US recently joined the Navy full time to be trained as a programmer/network tech...

His recruiter also told him that "computer folks" weren't ever sent anywhere near the combat zones...

Funny, I wonder what he's doing in some POS rust bucket 'copter carrier in the red zone near Irak...

Just keep in mind, whatever reason you sign up for in ANY branch of the military, expect combat.

Red

ps: and for those of you who choose to join the military to kick some azz and defend your country, a big thumbs up!

pcity is offline Junior Member
    Im in the national guard,and I went to the same boot camp as the army.Their was over 200 soldiers and only 20 something were national guards.Its the same training the army recieves.What is your mos?Im in the artillery.I went to basic and ait for 17 weeks.It wasnt to bad.After the first two weeks you get used to it.

pcity is offline Junior Member
    If you make it through the army basic training you can join any service besides the marines.

Originally posted by pcity
    Im in the national guard,and I went to the same boot camp as the army.Their was over 200 soldiers and only 20 something were national guards.Its the same training the army recieves.What is your mos?Im in the artillery.I went to basic and ait for 17 weeks.It wasnt to bad.After the first two weeks you get used to it.
    Yeah, your right. National guard basic training is the same as any other military training.

roch is offline Member
    any except the marines, which is two weeks longers than most and 4 weeks longer than one service branch. you know who you are.

Originally posted by roch
    any except the marines, which is two weeks longers than most and 4 weeks longer than one service branch. you know who you are.
    Exactly. Man I have read so much about how the national guard was shipped out during the gulf war, cuban missle crisis, and the persian war. I'm really starting to worry about getting shipped out. My goal is to finish school, and then goto grad school. I'm not down for this war!

A buddy of mine just got pulled out of the Marine inactive reserves under involuntary orders for anywhere from 1-6 years. He has been out for over 2 years. FYI, the military is a military - and if inactive reservist are getting called up... shit is getting thick out there.

I want some invol orders! You get to keep your previous rank/pay grade that way...

That kinda sucks Warrior, but damn dude, that VET under your name is PIMP! Anyways, I am going to join, although I will not be eligible for tuition reduction or in-state tuition. FUCK IT. I'll fight it after I get out of basic. If they don't want to give it to me, I'll beat them... then I'll email a few senators.

So I scored a 99 on the asvab, and that's after screwing up on alot of the test. I wonder how many mistakes other people make.

Thread Information