Terinox is offline The One & Only

Question Regarding My Manual Car

Howdy fellas,

I don't know much about cars. But anywho, here is the question:

I have a 1997 Saturn SC1, manual. Lately, maybe about 1 month or so, I have some trouble putting it into 1st gear. If i'm sitting at a red light, and the car is in neutral, the light turns green, I go to put it in first gear, and it is almost as if it is blocked. I have to sometimes force it in, kinda push hard. Usually it's not like this tho, it goes in very smooth. This has happened maybe 5-6 times in the last month.

So, what does this mean exactly? Is the gears/transmition getting all fucked up? Do I need to get anything checked? Is it possible this is a side effect from the very cold weather up here in Toronto?

Please help, I drive the car pretty much everyday for about 20km.

Thanks guys,
    T.

David B. is offline Member
    Probably just means that 1st-gear synchronizers are going out. It's no biggie. If it won't go into gear, try letting out the clutch (in neutral) and then depressing it again, then the lever oughtta snick right into 1st.

--dnb

Decoder is offline Banned
    Ternoix you have been posting alot on tv shows, girls, jokes pretty much everything not to do with AS lately, no offense but thats what chat room's are for :\ try sticking to AS bro

Farmer is offline Member
    He isn't posting in "Steroid Questions", I think AR lounge was made for questions that are similar to his. He asked on AR because theres a bunch of smart mofos'

peace

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Decoder
    Ternoix you have been posting alot on tv shows, girls, jokes pretty much everything not to do with AS lately, no offense but thats what chat room's are for :\ try sticking to AS bro
    The General Forum is for anything that doesn't apply to the other forums. As for your criticism of Terinox, that belongs in a chat room.

Sorry Terinox, I don't know what the problem is. I'd tell you to take it to a Saturn dealership but they'd probably invite you to a picnic or something creepy like that.

Originally posted by EXCESS
    The General Forum is for anything that doesn't apply to the other forums. As for your criticism of Terinox, that belongs in a chat room.

Sorry Terinox, I don't know what the problem is. I'd tell you to take it to a Saturn dealership but they'd probably invite you to a picnic or something creepy like that.

Thanks for having my back guys, I appreciate it.

No disrespect Decoder, but I have been on this board for over 18 months, everyday, all day. The AR Lounge was designed for ANYTHING that is not offensive, and does not have to do with steroids . People post anything here, you really need to check out some of the other threads if you think mine are pointless or stupid.

I don't see anyone else complaining, and I don't see others critisizing other people's strange or odd posts.

Just my opinion here bro. Once you've been around for a while, you'll know what I mean.

MysticGohan is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem in the winter. Check your clutch fluid often. If it get drained completly air will get in the lines and you'll have to bleed the clutch lines.

I was just speaking my mind, i was wondering whats with the non AS posts when this is a AS board i didn't say any were pointless or stupid that's not what i ment.

And As for your criticism of Terinox, that belongs in a chat room.
    hey excess wait a minute i think you just criticized me! what a vicous circle.

I was just speaking my mind, i was wondering whats with the non AS posts when this is a AS board i didn't say any were pointless or stupid that's not what i ment.

Hey it's all good, no harm done. Point is just that usually, people post stuff about "other things" in the AR Lounge. Kind of like how Kunip. has become the Lounge Lizard and posts jokes on a daily basis. And how dickrenegade enjoys taking pictures of his chainsaws, and his squirrel friend with the huge ballz!

So, it's all good Enjoy.

aight

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Back to the topic at hand: try what David said. That usually works for me.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Start off by checking clutch fluid, if needed bleed the line. If that isn't it check transmission fluid, fill if needed, if that still isn't it check to see if the slave cylinder is working properly. If none of these are the culprit then I'd say the synchronizers are going out.

Farmer is offline Member
    A group hug is needed now

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    UUUuuuuummmmmmmmmmm..........there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'll be hugging any of ya'll. I like ya'll, just not that way!

tolinka is offline Senior Member

I just think you tripping of the test....

BowFlex-er is offline Junior Member
    Deffinately do what BIG TEXAN said. I am currently in Power mechanics (Grade.10) the teacher had the same problem with his of course he knew what it was and he told me to fix it and yeah check all of those things espicially the clutch fluid.

Thanks for all the help bros! Will do it asap!

Originally posted by BowFlex-er
    Deffinately do what BIG TEXAN said. I am currently in Power mechanics (Grade.10) the teacher had the same problem with his of course he knew what it was and he told me to fix it and yeah check all of those things espicially the clutch fluid.
    I'm SO stupid for not taking mechanics in school!!! In our highschool we had an actual garage, and it wasn't too bad, and there were two to three cars there for the students to work on and learn from! I took some other stupid shop class instead! TSK TSK TSK! Oh well, I guess I'll have to pay for it

chevy44 is offline Member
    my car sometimes wont go into reverse, so what i do its put it into another gear first and then reverse and it works!!!!!!!
    -i do, what i can do, when i can do it.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    Could be the clutch if the synchros go it will be rough grindy feel to it.
    my 2c$

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Originally posted by Terinox

Thanks for having my back guys, I appreciate it.

No disrespect Decoder, but I have been on this board for over 18 months, everyday, all day. The AR Lounge was designed for ANYTHING that is not offensive, and does not have to do with steroids . People post anything here, you really need to check out some of the other threads if you think mine are pointless or stupid.

I don't see anyone else complaining, and I don't see others critisizing other people's strange or odd posts.

Just my opinion here bro. Once you've been around for a while, you'll know what I mean.
    You tell him "Princess" I'm tooo mad!But really it sounds to me like your linkage connected to your shifter needs adjusted.Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by jammergsxr

But really it sounds to me like your linkage connected to your shifter needs adjusted.Just my 2 cents.
    Yup, being a front wheel drive car, the shifter doesn't just go right in the tranny "thru the floor" like a RWD car or truck.

There usually is some sort of little box under the shifter which converts the shifter's positions into a push-pull or rotate motion for the rod between this box and the tranny.

This would the the first thing I would investigate.

If all looks fine, then check out the tranny and engine mounts to the vehicle. Excessive wear can cause too much play between the engine/tranny and the shifter "box" which is usually attached to the vehicle.

My 2¢ worth

Red

BowFlex-er is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Terinox

I'm SO stupid for not taking mechanics in school!!! In our highschool we had an actual garage, and it wasn't too bad, and there were two to three cars there for the students to work on and learn from! I took some other stupid shop class instead! TSK TSK TSK! Oh well, I guess I'll have to pay for it

No problem Terinox hopefully that advice will help you.

Yeah it's a fun course I like it alot, it helps you in the future, instead of going to a garage and paying for something what is very minor and you can do yourself. I am learning quite a bit in it and this is my first year in it. But my dad and my brother are car guys so I learnt from them. So I wouldn't look like a idiot going in there and knowing nothing.

Anyways take care and I hope that advice helps.
    Last edited by BowFlex-er; 03-12-2003 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information