Thread: Staying focused

Triple Plates is offline Associate Member

Staying focused

I need some help staying focused on school. All I ever do is think about getting bigger, going to the gym, always watching this board, and going out with friends. I just can't stay focused on skool nemore, i know its my future and shit and I do worry about it, but id rather be reading the board then hitten my text books... any suggestions on how to get over this?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Re: Staying focused

Hmmmmm . . . It will be interesting to read some other responses to this question, but here are a few initial thoughts.

First, TP, you've written elsewhere that you're 19 years old, so I'll assume that you're in your first or second year of college. If you're like many students at that stage, you have not either yet decided on your major or are pulling off your two years of liberal arts requirements until you get to dive into your major. Therefore, what you're doing is merely a continuation of high school, and you may not have keyed into classes yet that have peaked your interest.

So the first question is whether you actually want to be in school at this point. If you do, get used to the idea that you're not there because you have to be, but because you choose to be. Once you get past the high school phase, two things change: first, school is optional and, second, school costs money - it's no longer a free ticket (someone is paying something, whether it's you or your parents).

In other words, at this stage of the education game, it's time to be studying (1) what you want to be studying, and (2) what you need to be studying in order to go out into the real world and earn some bucks.

So the question is, how can you integrate being in school with the things that you want to be doing - like "think[ing] about getting bigger, going to the gym, always watching this board, and going out with friends?" From a logistical perspective, the answer is obvious - restructure your classes so that you spread the liberal arts B.S. over the course of your two or four years at school and take some courses that will help you learn more about thinking about getting bigger and when you should do when you do to the gym. In other words, why major in business, psychology, or anything else when your interest may lie in phys ed?

Second point: Don't let BB become a preoccupation unless you intend to be a professional BB who can earn major bucks from the game. In other words, be a realist. If you want to be able to afford the AS, the supplements, and the time it takes to hit the gym seriously, plan for it. Otherwise, recognize that BB can be a significant part of your life but shouldn't be all of your life (unless you happen to win a million bucks on the lottery, which is highly unlikely and not a method I recommend).

Next, scan down the screen and read the thread started by Flexshack and titled a.d.d. brothers and sisters? Chances are that you do not have ADD (attention deficit disorder), but there's always a possibility that you might. If so, it's time to address it.

Now, the good news: you're only 19, bro! You've got time to make long-range plans, and even if you cop out of school at this point, it's not the end of life. Like I said, at this point you should do school because you want to, not because you have to. If you're not functioning well at school, maybe you should take some time off. And if you really like hanging out at the gym, maybe you could get a job working at a gym (or even, I hate to say this, a fitness center). You can still continue to learn and develop professionally by getting ahold of the ACE textbook and going for personal trainer certification. Not only can you earn some more bucks that way, you'd be getting an education on how to further develop your own bod. But take this seriously - working at a gym doesn't mean working out all the time; it's a real job, so don't expect to spend your job time pumping iron; the quickest way toget canned is by not doing the job for which you were hired.

Final suggestion, and try not to get too pissed off at this one: Tighten your writing. The word is anymore, not nemore. You, not u. School, not skool. hitting or hittin', not hitten. We don't critique spelling and grammar around here (shit, bro, it's a freakin' AS board, and I make lots of typos), but realize that the real world doesn't operate in MTV mode. It's like ebonics or rap - cool as art forms, but they won't look good or get you anywhere in the workplace. No big whoop now, but something to consider both in terms of school and the real world. Surprising as it may seem, you can be a dumb weight jock and intelligent at the same time. Really, bro, the dumb refers to the bells, not the brains.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I don,t really feel that I can add much to TNT post because he sums it up really well.Going to school is a long term plan to path the way for your future.The hard graft now may dividends in the years to come.I left school at 16 and I,m 28 and not a year has passed when I have,not trained or learnt something new from extended education.

It is something you have choosen to do and in the UK once you leave school and get a job there is very little chance to carry on an education.I,m doing my degree as well as work,training,family,r,ship ect.It never gets easier!!

Put the effort in now it will save you a lot of time in the long run

PammyJ is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by Billy Boy

Put the effort in now it will save you a lot of time in the long run
    Listen to Billy Boy...you need to get your education now and start building a career when you get out of school. It's a terrible feeling to realize when you're 30 that you blew a lot of years on a lot of dead end jobs because you didn't put forth the effort to become educated.

In my best Schoolhouse Rocks impersonation..."Knowledge is power!"

(are you even old enough to know about Schoolhouse Rocks? )
    Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do not do what you would undo if caught. -- Leah Arendt

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I suggest that an Education is something Very Important .... How important is it to you ???

Then to stay focussed ...

Try and put the same effort in school as you do with your workouts ....

Alot of the top BB's have went to college ... I would think it was to FALL BACK ON in case a BBing career didnt happen ...

Muscles are great .... but dont forget the muscle in your Skull brother ...

good luck

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    go do your work somehwere away from your computer. leave your dorm room and go somewhere else.....you think being a student ans being addicted to this board is bad??? try being a teacher and being addicted....i'm sitting in the library right now posting.....

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Whoa . . .

Originally posted by dane26
    you think being a student ans being addicted to this board is bad??? try being a teacher and being addicted....i'm sitting in the library right now posting.....
    Hmmmmmmm . . . Between you, me (ex-teacher), Little Girl, and Crackerlinebacker, one has to wonder how many people in the education biz are juicers!
    Last edited by TNT; 11-27-2001 at 12:49 PM.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    brother i'm in school right now too, but you have to find the same love for school that u have for bb. cause the way things are going these days you can't get any where without an education.

Triple Plates is offline Associate Member
    Thanks to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate it. Hopefully i'll be able to follow the advice that was given, since it is my future and plus exam time is coming up!

And TNT, im not pissed, i do know how the real world works, because I do not speak like that to my profs, elders etc, or use that type of slang when working on assignments and reports... its just when i chat! But i know your just lookin out, so thanx bro

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Bro I know what you mean because I used to have similar problems w/ doing school work. I'm still in college and what I do is I try to get as much work done as possible outside of the computer lab (like the library). Also I go to the gym in the morning and I try to not get online till after all my class's are over and after all my work is done. Being a IST major I have to work alot on the computer but try to not go online, I know it's hard not to, but you have to try and stick to just using the computer as a tool, not a playtoy.
    Good Luck w/ the exams...Their a bitch.

M

azadeam is offline New Member
    TP,

Provided you want to be in school I think you might want to limit your distractions, because it sounds like your free time has started to invade your school time. Put some boundaries on your free time, and the things you like to do will not become distractions. As a matter of fact you’ll probably enjoy them more.

I wonder if you have a plan and if your goals are written out? Are they broken down in time frames? Also start planning your day. The more you balance your time the better it will serve you and the more affective you will be at executing your plan. Remember all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. But equally true is… all play and no work makes Jack a failure in his roles.

If you are having trouble seeing the value in what you need to do (meaning fulfilling your responsibilities) then maybe taking a look at the bigger picture would be of help. I think putting a limit on your free time now will give you more freedom later. Coasting now means more work, for less pay, down the road. Doesn’t less work for more pay sound like a better option? If you can learn now how to find balance you can avoid the extremes, like being a work-a-holic or on the government dole.

Since I’m new I want to be sure you don’t think I’m coming down on you, I’m not. I’m simply trying to encourage; besides there’s nothing to come down on you for! You are wrestling with stuff that most people wrestle with. Also you’re being honest with yourself and with your friends on this board and that takes courage! Good for you! Plus you are seeking counsel, which is wise. Good luck. Oh I might add you would do well to find someone you can make yourself accountable to and then do so.

Peace

TNT,
    Well said!!

Thread Information