BowFlex-er is offline Junior Member

Which one has more of an advantage for an arm wrestle?

which one do you think has more of an advantage in an arm wrestle? a longer arm? or a shorter arm?

What does an arm wrestle prove?

Re: Which one has more of an advantage for an arm wrestle?

Originally posted by BowFlex-er

What does an arm wrestle prove?
    That you can rotate your arm inwards?

Red

Lol., I guess these where dumb questions. But honestly I am just curoies which one has more of an advantage?

Well, if one looks at the physics of if, then assuming the same muscle mass, I would think that a long arm would definetly have the advantage.

Hmmm but then I may be wrong as the pivot point is not quite like that of a lever...

Red

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    longer arms give more torque since the fulcrum (elbow) is further from the actual lever. someone with a short arm wrestling a longer arm will have a more difficult time if they have equivalent strength since they will be working against an added force coming from the downward diagonal direction. the longer arm will only have the force of the other person to work against, so i would put my money on the longer arm.

arm wrestling proves how beastly you are compared to your friends bet some money in a bar and get some drinks for free.

Yeah good points guys. but today I arm wrestled some shorty, and everybody thinks I am pretty good at arm wrestling cuz I usually drop them pretty quick(by the way these are people my own body weight). Well I went up against this shorty and he said he was about 145-150 and damn we were both stuck at the top. I have the longer arm and he has the shorter arm, now why the heck where we both stuck? Seeing since you guys say the longer arm has more of an advantage?

Then we went to go and do bench press and I smoked him I did 145lbs once and he did 135lbs once.

So why the heck couldn't I smokem in an arm wrestle?

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    arm wrestling strength also has something to do with your rotator cuff i believe...if he was a baseball player and used to throwing hard with his right arm you will be at a disadvantage since his ligaments are used to heavy stress...btw, 145lbs once vs. 135lbs once isn't smoking him...you did less than 10% more than he did...now if you put up 225 5 times and he only put up 135 once i would say that is a huge difference.

I dunno I'll askem tommorow or just arm wrestle him again and put my all into it, cuz I never ate anything today, So I didn't have full energy.

225lbs 5 times? I wish lol. Yeah your right I didn't smokem but I didn't struggel bringing back up the 145lbs and he struggled like heck to bring the 135lbs back up.

An UPDATE!!- I beat the kid today in the arm wrestle, yes he does weigh 145lbs I weigh 132lbs he has the shorter arm I have the longer arm but today, I had a big breakfast and at gym I beatem took a while though but still gotem.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Originally posted by daem
    longer arms give more torque since the fulcrum (elbow) is further from the actual lever. someone with a short arm wrestling a longer arm will have a more difficult time if they have equivalent strength since they will be working against an added force coming from the downward diagonal direction. the longer arm will only have the force of the other person to work against, so i would put my money on the longer arm.

arm wrestling proves how beastly you are compared to your friends bet some money in a bar and get some drinks for free.
    Incorrect.
    The shorter arm has an advantage over the longer arm because the shorter one requires less torque (in this instance torque refers to rotational force)to rotate the arm at a certain force than the longer arm does.
    Think about it this way: imagine holding a 2x4 that's three feet long straight in front of you, and you want to rotate it so that it's vertical. It requires a certain amount of force.
    Then, take a 2x4 that's 10 feet long, and do the same thing. It requires a lot more torque to rotate the longer 2x4 .

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Strut99GT

Incorrect.
    The shorter arm has an advantage over the longer arm because the shorter one requires less torque (in this instance torque refers to rotational force)to rotate the arm at a certain force than the longer arm does.
    Think about it this way: imagine holding a 2x4 that's three feet long straight in front of you, and you want to rotate it so that it's vertical. It requires a certain amount of force.
    Then, take a 2x4 that's 10 feet long, and do the same thing. It requires a lot more torque to rotate the longer 2x4 .
    good point bro. plus you got to realize a longer arm and shorter arm has 2 different angles if your on a level serfice which is another reason i think longer arms have disadvantage.
    JLI

Ahhhh thank-you Strut99GT I knew something was up cuz this kid can't bench as much as me nor curl as much, that's why I asked if it had something to do with the arms and I kinda thought a shorter arm had more of an advantage. But now I am goign against my reply's back up there lol but I thought something was wrong and hey I was right when I first posted. But I dropped the kid today took awhile but gotem. anyways l8er man take care.

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    Arm wrestling is as much technique as it is brute force. Watch some of those "pros" and you will see their wrist movements and such.

Hey Padawan hows it going? yeah I have seen some of those pros go at it in arm wrestling, it's funny how some of there faces go when they are really trying word's can't describe.
    Last edited by BowFlex-er; 03-13-2003 at 07:34 PM.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    2 years ago at the arnold classic there was a small guy for GNC that was a arm wrestling champion that was shattering some big guys. he was prolly outweighed by 150lbs at times and destroyed them.
    actually all the arm wrestling guys there were small
    JLI

Thread Information