Thread: How much $$$

Eddie_m63 is offline Member

How much $$$

Just another question guys/girls...If you're like me and most people I know there's never enough but how much do you think is a good amount of $$$ to have in the bank? I am just curious as to how much I would need to save before I start spending my whole paycheck on stuff like a bigger car note, bigger house, in theory bigger everything...

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    I always thought it was a years expense + 6 months of your paycheck.

Most people don't do this, but the point being is you do it incase you get laid off, you still have a good amount of money to support you till you find your next job and build up your income. And if the economy is really bad that extra 6 months of cash saved up might really help pay of mounting bills in case you get a job that doesn't pay nearly as well as your last one.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_m63 View Post
    Just another question guys/girls...If you're like me and most people I know there's never enough but how much do you think is a good amount of $$$ to have in the bank? I am just curious as to how much I would need to save before I start spending my whole paycheck on stuff like a bigger car note, bigger house, in theory bigger everything...
    The fvck if I know..... i'm still learning as I go along. Ideally.... i'd like to have 70-80k in the bank for shit like a new roof, broken appliances, car repairs.... etc. As far as living comfortably..... like having enough money to start spending on toys? Hell.... idunno..... that depends on a lot of factors I guess.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    The fvck if I know..... i'm still learning as I go along. Ideally.... i'd like to have 70-80k in the bank for shit like a new roof, broken appliances, car repairs.... etc. As far as living comfortably..... like having enough money to start spending on toys? Hell.... idunno..... that depends on a lot of factors I guess.....

~Haz~
    Dude you spend a lot of money on repairs lol.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    He roid rages and breaks stuff. That and the fist pumping.

I didn't say I had the 80k in the bank LMFAO! Thats what I would feel comfortable with..... After I saw my father put on a new roof..... then replace a wash machine, refridgerator, and a new transmission all in the same month - I decided theres never enough money lol.

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    He roid rages and breaks stuff. That and the fist pumping.
    I did break a cabinet..... and the shower doors..... and put a hole in the sheet rock once also. I gotta learn not to break shit that I hafta fix

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

I did break a cabinet..... and the shower doors..... and put a hole in the sheet rock once also. I gotta learn not to break shit that I hafta fix

~Haz~
    Are you still with your wife? It's been a long time, IDK if things have changed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post
    Are you still with your wife? It's been a long time, IDK if things have changed lol
    LMFAO! Boy.... if she ever logged on here.....

yep sure am....

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

LMFAO! Boy.... if she ever logged on here.....

yep sure am....

~Haz~
    I still think you should have divorced her, we could have been so good together Arnie

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    atleast 3 months worth of bills

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    When I was a financial planner, I would suggest 6 months salary

Flier is offline Productive Member
    I don´t save and don´t have savings.
    I´m 42, and have always been a spender, and will continue.
    Saving for what?, I always ask.
    I look at saving, as hoarding.
    Saving stuff, saving $, same thing.
    U should hold on to nothing in your life, even feelings.
    Holding on to anything is directly linked to your health.
    Talking economy in general, an economy of spenders is a thriving economy. The $ needs to change hands.
    On a spiritual note...and I´ll loose 90% of you people here. The universe will always provide or take what you need/have at all times in order for u to experience what you came for.
    And last, I can give you a hundred examples of savers that lost all their savings.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Talking economy in general, an economy of spenders is a thriving economy. The $ needs to change hands.
    On a spiritual note...and I´ll loose 90% of you people here. The universe will always provide or take what you need/have at all times in order for u to experience what you came for.
    And last, I can give you a hundred examples of savers that lost all their savings.
    There is a lot of truth to that and what's funny; it always seems the religious people are the ones who worry the most. LOL
    The last time I got laid off my manager who was a proclaimed Christian and some of the other guys where all talking about OMG doom and gloom. They asked me what I was going to do. I already had a trip planned for 6 weeks and several other excursions. They all were WTF??? how can you be so casual about getting laid off? #1 they didn't realize I actually had been offered a job by the new company but I turned them down. I didn't agree with some of their ethics. #2 I said well, arent you Christians? Doesn't God say he will provide? Then why worry? How can you say you believe God will save your eternal soul if you dont even believe he will keep his word about something so simple as this? LOL I love to show people what hypocrites they are. They almost never practice what they preach. I tell them stop preaching it and start living it.

I have been laid off from work 3x. 1st time for 1yr 2 months. I lived off Unemployment, side jobs and my 401K I had saved for 5 years. I got another job just as I had basically said OK I have NO idea how I will make the next house payment...

2nd time was for 1yr 6 months. Went to school for 1+ year, collected unemployment, lived off my 401K again saved up for 3+ years and worked side jobs. Same thing, didnt have any more big toys to sell and didnt know where the next house payment would come from without borrowing. Got a job that week.

3rd time was only for 6 months. No 401K, only unemployment.

Each time I never worried about what if. I didnt sit around waiting for a job either. I was active. Sent out applications etc.

I cant save money if my life depended on it. Every time I get some extra money even $500 something breaks and needs replaced, EVERY time. LOL I just ignore anything extra I have in the bank knowing it wont be there long. Only way I can save is my 401K I have always done a minimum of 10% of my paycheck before taxes. I was up to 28% for almost a year but recently had to go back down to 10% to catch up on bills. One thing that has worked for me over the years. If you can jump in a 401K day one of a new job. Each and every pay raise or cost of living increase bump up your 401K so 100% of that or close is absorbed. If you dont get/see the extra money you wont spend it.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 06-12-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    There is a lot of truth to that and what's funny; it always seems the religious people are the ones who worry the most. LOL
    The last time I got laid off my manager who was a proclaimed Christian and some of the other guys where all talking about OMG doom and gloom. They asked me what I was going to do. I already had a trip planned for 6 weeks and several other excursions. They all were WTF??? how can you be so casual about getting laid off? #1 they didn't realize I actually had been offered a job by the new company but I turned them down. I didn't agree with some of their ethics. #2 I said well, arent you Christians? Doesn't God say he will provide? Then why worry? How can you say you believe God will save your eternal soul if you dont even believe he will keep his word about something so simple as this? LOL I love to show people what hypocrites they are. They almost never practice what they preach. I tell them stop preaching it and start living it.

I have been laid off from work 3x. 1st time for 1yr 2 months. I lived off Unemployment, side jobs and my 401K I had saved for 5 years. I got another job just as I had basically said OK I have NO idea how I will make the next house payment...

2nd time was for 1yr 6 months. Went to school for 1+ year, collected unemployment, lived off my 401K again saved up for 3+ years and worked side jobs. Same thing, didnt have any more big toys to sell and didnt know where the next house payment would come from without borrowing. Got a job that week.

3rd time was only for 6 months. No 401K, only unemployment.

Each time I never worried about what if. I didnt sit around waiting for a job either. I was active. Sent out applications etc.

I cant save money if my life depended on it. Every time I get some extra money even $500 something breaks and needs replaced, EVERY time. LOL I just ignore anything extra I have in the bank knowing it wont be there long. Only way I can save is my 401K I have always done a minimum of 10% of my paycheck before taxes. I was up to 28% for almost a year but recently had to go back down to 10% to catch up on bills. One thing that has worked for me over the years. If you can jump in a 401K day one of a new job. Each and every pay raise or cost of living increase bump up your 401K so 100% of that or close is absorbed. If you dont get/see the extra money you wont spend it.
    Absoultely, as every religion I know of is based on separation from that thing they call God. And is based in large part on control by fear of judgement from this thing "up there".
    Just to be clear, being spiritual has nothing to do with being religious, as religion is purely man made, and being spiritual is a personal quest, seeking enlightenment to that "feeling" u have of something more, but can´t really explain.
    Your sixth sense, that feeling in your gut, "my heart tells me", deja vu, that voice inside, dreams....etc.
    Once 2 spiritual people get together and create images, or discuss pathways to the divine, or have feelings of exclusiveness, u have religion in the making.

OP...sorry for the hijack.

Yes I know is goo

maybe.... but sometimes "the universe" will only provide a shopping cart for collecting 'luminum cans and a nifty sign that says "Homeless, please help, God Bless".

If you are OK with that, then march on soldier

I personally prefer to maintain a certain amount of liquid assets in the very likely event I lose my job and need to float for awhile.

Last I checked, the "universe" don't provide mortgage payments!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    maybe.... but sometimes "the universe" will only provide a shopping cart for collecting 'luminum cans and a nifty sign that says "Homeless, please help, God Bless". What do u feel when u see them?.............maybe that´s why they are there.

If you are OK with that, then march on soldier (Airforce)

I personally prefer to maintain a certain amount of liquid assets in the very likely event I lose my job and need to float for awhile. Financial planning groundrule, common sense, but depends on how much you choose "being sensible" should weigh in your life.

Last I checked, the "universe" don't provide mortgage payments! I disagree TR, and money actually grow on trees. U just have to believe
    Hahaha...
    TR...u have "both your feet firmly planted on the ground".....not a bad thing. Works for most.

didn't you and I have this chat already? it's been awhile, or am i thinking of someone else?

not trying to impose my value system on anyone, but I have to get real. I DO lose jobs and become unemployed (nature of what i do). Hungry mouths to feed. Bills to pay. I have to bring it down a notch from the ethereal to something closer to the ground.

If I believed that I was to be provided for, and not consider the future....... I would have been fukked over several times already

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    didn't you and I have this chat already? it's been awhile, or am i thinking of someone else?

not trying to impose my value system on anyone, but I have to get real. I DO lose jobs and become unemployed (nature of what i do). Hungry mouths to feed. Bills to pay. I have to bring it down a notch from the ethereal to something closer to the ground.

If I believed that I was to be provided for, and not consider the future....... I would have been fukked over several times already
    Yes, what if you had believed........would you STILL have gotten fukked over several times already?
    (I´m laughing as I write, so u know where I´m coming from.)
    I´m suggesting a way of life in complete submission to the idea that, what happens to us, happens in order for us to experience what we came for.
    In this context, nothing goes wrong, because what is "wrong" in your mind/world will just be an "experience" in mine.
    I, by no means master living like this, but I am intrigued by it, and would say I´m very close, and it really works for me. It´s all purely a mindset.

We may have had talk before, yes.

Yes, what if you had believed........would you STILL have gotten fukked over several times already?
    (I´m laughing as I write, so u know where I´m coming from.)
    I´m suggesting a way of life in complete submission to the idea that, what happens to us, happens in order for us to experience what we came for.
    In this context, nothing goes wrong, because what is "wrong" in your mind/world will just be an "experience" in mine.
    I, by no means master living like this, but I am intrigued by it, and would say I´m very close, and it really works for me. It´s all purely a mindset.

We may have had talk before, yes.
    Sorry bro but I think you've lost it... Is this monk mindset gonna send your child to college or is that the ladies duty? Hoping for a scholarship? (I think you have kids if I remember correctly)

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    I've been "floating" for a while now; suggested practice is enough money in savings to pay bills for 6 months.

Sorry bro but I think you've lost it... Is this monk mindset gonna send your child to college or is that the ladies duty? Hoping for a scholarship? (I think you have kids if I remember correctly)
    Lol...I know I sound like I´ve lost it. That´s why I rarely share my views in public.
    Yes I have a daughter, and she´s got her eyes set on Berkley in 3 years.
    I have absolutely no doubt I will have the funds to pay for that college or whichever she chooses at that time, even though as we speak, I have not set aside $1 for it. I don´t even have a savings account, but when the time comes, all the pieces will fall in place.
    If I´m still on this forum 3 years from now, I´ll retrieve this thread and let u know what happened....hehe.

Lol...I know I sound like I´ve lost it. That´s why I rarely share my views in public.
    I have absolutely no doubt I will have the funds to pay for that college or whichever she chooses at that time, even though as we speak, I have not set aside $1 for it. I don´t even have a savings account, but when the time comes, all the pieces will fall in place.
    If I´m still on this forum 3 years from now, I´ll retrieve this thread and let u know what happened....hehe.
    Please do man I would love to hear about that. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Naw man i know exactly were you are coming from. I literally had millions at one time and lost virtually all my money in my early 20s. I thought it was the meaning of life to be rich have money nice things. After a long personal struggle redefining who i was as a person i have come to learn that i am happier now then i was before. Looking forward now I know I will be happier in my future with a lot less then I always thought I wanted. But one thing is for sure, I really do not feel like having kids. So that is one expense i can check off lol.

You guys aren't getting it. He is not saying to sit back and dont do anything expecting it to be handed to you or that we are not supposed to have values, goals, wants, needs etc. He is just saying that shit happens and take it for what it is; make the most out of it, learn from it and do what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    You guys aren't getting it. He is not saying to sit back and dont do anything expecting it to be handed to you or that we are not supposed to have values, goals, wants, needs etc. He is just saying that shit happens and take it for what it is; make the most out of it, learn from it and do what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
    I get that part. He's also saying he doesn't have anything saved up and his daughter wants to go to Berkley and he has no idea how he is going to pay for it but he just will. So either he has savings or makes a lot of money so coming up with $6k a semester is easy, or he is going to have a disappointed daughter.

I get that part. He's also saying he doesn't have anything saved up and his daughter wants to go to Berkley and he has no idea how he is going to pay for it but he just will. So either he has savings or makes a lot of money so coming up with $6k a semester is easy, or he is going to have a disappointed daughter.
    I think you are still reading a little to much into it. I dont think he is saying he is not going to ever save or plan for it, just he is not going to STRESS or plan everything and count every penny he makes/spends in the next 3 years making sure he has the money for her college. I'm sure he will start a fund and add money to it as it comes in.

Many people have the next 20 years or more planned out and when the life intervenes and changes those plans they freak out, worry, stress over every little things instead of living and enjoying life. Some of the best times I have had is when I was laid off from work for up to or over a year. I made several road trips to visit friends in other states with my daughter, we went camping a lot, spent time 4 wheeling with friends etc. Last time I almost got laid off a few years ago my daughter was all excited because to her it meant we are going to have more time to play again, she was 14?
    Last edited by lovbyts; 06-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    6 months income

Some of u think just like my dad, why save? That's what my dad always says but I am so different I like to think ahead save some for harder times to come let's hope they never come but life is so unexpected that the only sure thing is we will all die, that u can count on. Me in my mind would like to have a cool 100k in the bank the good thing is I already started saving and and I am only 99% short of my goal, but at least I have a goal.

Thread Information