POWERSTROKE is offline Associate Member

Body fat monitors ?

How accurate are the electronic body fat monitors ? Terraillon, Tanita, Omron, and accu-measure all look good, but ndo they work ? Thanks, Henry

primodonna is offline Female Member
    There is a huge margin of error with those...with anything really...the so-called "most accurate" way of doing it (in water) still has a 2-3% margin of error if not more...

Best thing to do is use a method you have access to at any time so you do it the same way by the same person each time...the actual "number" may not be correct, but you will be able to see what you are losing/gaining and monitor your progress that way...which, in the end, is all that should matter

JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member

? for primo or anyone else

what is the most accurate way of finding out your bf%

POWERSTROKE is offline Associate Member
    Thanks Primo, So what you're saying is that If I get one of these monitors, or scales with the Body fat reading on it, I will get a baseline, and then work off of that ? Just something to compare too ? Thanks, Henry

fastman is offline New Member
    There is another thread that deals with this as well.

I have a Tanita and even with doing it same time first thing in the morning you get a pretty good variation. It gives you an okay baseline as you go up or down.

The most accurate is the hydrostatic weighing, the big tank of water. Someone with calipers is the next best way, and if you get someone with great experience they can be almost as accurate as the water method. The electrical current way is a distant third.

Thread Information