Thread: Why is it....?

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Why is it....?

....harder to max out bench on a smith machine then a regular bench? Lastnight i tried maxing out my bench on my smith machine and i didnt come anywhere close to my max on a regular bench? Thxs!

OG

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    restricted form...when you use machine your chest is being more concentrated instead of using shoulders...back...abs....triceps....traps and all the other muscles that make a difference in bench

I figured that was it. Makes sense thxs bro!

OG

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I would also add that much of it has to do with the fact you aren't allowed to bench within your "groove" or "arc"....basically the exact range of motion through which you have developed your strength. You are forced into the plane dicated by the machine, which, to my knowledge, corresponds with rarely anyone's actual benching style.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Serious question: Do you all think people who bench on the Smith Machine are typically pussies? The reason I ask is I'm about to move and will not have a workout partner....Smith Machine may come in handy, but I don't want to look like a pussy......ok, I set myself up for this one

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Originally posted by Big Rush
    Serious question: Do you all think people who bench on the Smith Machine are typically pussies? The reason I ask is I'm about to move and will not have a workout partner....Smith Machine may come in handy, but I don't want to look like a pussy......ok, I set myself up for this one
    I sometimes do incline bench in the smith, so no thats not being a pussy

Squating in the smith IS on the other hand being a pussy!

Rich8888 is offline Member
    OG Big Rush is not calling you a pussy is he...OHHHH I love to stir the pot....Any way benching on the smith uses a slightly different muscle group. Also the weight of the Smith machine is heavier than barbell bar.

But OG it's ok...maxing out at 162.5 lbs on the Smith isn't that bad.

I don't want to look like a pussy...
    You actually give a fuck what others think of you at the gym???

For the record, I also do declines and some flat bench on the smith... my left shoulder is fucked and it allows me to get "less pain" in there when pushing up hard.

Red

Terinox is offline The One & Only

I got respect for everyone in the gym and all, but I agree, I find it weird/odd seeing people do military/bench on the smith. It just seems weird. I would understand it if they do it because they don't have a spotter and maybe don't want one or something, but usually the ones I see still ask for a spot. Personally I think the best way is to stick to free weights. The only thing I use the smith for is doing squats and shrugs. And the only reason I even use the smith for those is cuz of my bad knee, and the heavy weights I go for on shrugs (usually 405lbs).

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Rich8888
    OG Big Rush is not calling you a pussy is he...OHHHH I love to stir the pot....Any way benching on the smith uses a slightly different muscle group. Also the weight of the Smith machine is heavier than barbell bar.

But OG it's ok...maxing out at 162.5 lbs on the Smith isn't that bad.
    They may all be different, as the one I primarily use lists the bar as 25lbs...

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    I use the smith machine for flat bench b/c it seems to isolate my chest better, and i usually workout alone.

OK fuk stick! I didnt see ur response till now. I workout at my house and alone. Not at a gym. Thats why i use it. Its a great machine IMO. So keep ur pie hole comments to urself!

OG

Thread Information