Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Post Soldier Says He's Conscientious Objector

By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - With his sister carrying his duffel bag and his mother holding his hand, a 20-year-old Marine reservist surrendered to the military Tuesday and declared himself a conscientious objector.

Wearing camouflage fatigues, Lance Cpl. Stephen Funk turned himself in at the locked gates of the Marine Corps reserve center where he was assigned, weeks after refusing to report when called up to active duty.

"Ultimately, it's my fault for joining in the first place," said Funk, who didn't show up when his unit was deployed to Camp Pendleton. "It wasn't as well thought out as it should've been. It was about me being depressed and wanting direction in life."

Funk said he's attended every major San Francisco Bay area anti-war rally since finishing his military training last fall. He insisted his decision had nothing to do with the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

Those applying for a conscientious discharge must submit a detailed letter explaining how their feelings have changed since joining the military. Then there are interviews with a military chaplain, a psychiatrist and an investigating officer. The final decision is made by top military commanders.

Applications for conscientious discharges always increase during wartime. There were 111 granted during the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites). Only 28 were granted last year, military officials said.

"The Marine Corps understands there are service members opposed to the war," said Capt. Patrick O'Rourke, spokesman for Funk's unit, adding that he hadn't received Funk's application yet. "He'll be treated fairly."

Funk, who grew up in Washington state, enlisted when he was 19 and living on his own for the first time. He said he caved in to pressure from a recruiter who capitalized on his vulnerability.

"They don't really advertise that they kill people," Funk said. "I didn't really realize the full implications of what I was doing and what it really meant to be in the service as a reservist."

Funk said he began doubting his fitness for military service during basic training last spring when he felt uncomfortable singing cadence calls that described violence and screaming "Kill, kill, kill."

Funk's father, Robert Funk, enlisted in the Navy reserves and was called up to active duty in 1970 to serve in Vietnam. He said he wishes his son hadn't joined in the first place.

"I don't think he realized how close we were to getting involved in this conflict," Robert Funk said from his home in Everson, Wash. "I thought his views didn't line up with military service and he should wait and really look at it."

They actually train to kill people I wonder what he thought he was training for? the panzy parade? shaking my head in disbelief - yet another happy enought to get the college money, training, etc. but when the time comes to pay for it, chickens out

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Well I am glad to see however, that the U.S. millitary accepts such a thing as this. You don't really know anything about this person. I mean, picture this soldier being your son, or your relative, and maybe he is against the war, or maybe he just can't fight the way he thought he might be able to. And if he were to go to war, and fall into a situation where someone is pointing a gun right at him, and he hesitates for just one second, then he is dead!

There can be many assumptions to WHY he decided to join in the first place. You could be right, maybe he was just using the military, and maybe he never thought war would come by some time soon. But, I am really glad to see the military has such options for those who REALLY may have problems, and cannot serve to their best potential.

By the way, I hope you saved my old Avatar bro. I don't know if I will ever get it back, LOL, but I did NOT have that picture saved on my computer, so if you just got rid of my old avatar, then i'm screwed! Maybe this was all part of your plan to begin with

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    Originally posted by Terinox
    By the way, I hope you saved my old Avatar bro. I don't know if I will ever get it back, LOL, but I did NOT have that picture saved on my computer, so if you just got rid of my old avatar, then i'm screwed! Maybe this was all part of your plan to begin with

and cyc has done it without the KY.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    terinox - I am glad that the army will let him out and that they do allow for that - I am just pissed that he signed up in the first place

and dont worry about your avatar - I can get the old evil green one back when I get tired of laughing at this one

Originally posted by CYCLEON
    terinox - I am glad that the army will let him out and that they do allow for that - I am just pissed that he signed up in the first place

and dont worry about your avatar - I can get the old evil green one back when I get tired of laughing at this one
    Awww your so sweet ((**kiss kiss hug hug**))

Knowing you though, will take a long time to get over this

I gotta admit, the pony is kinda hot, has sexy eyes, damn if I was a horse I'd hit it.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Soldier Says He's Conscientious Objector

yet another happy enought to get the college money, training, etc. but when the time comes to pay for it, chickens out
    I couldn't have said it better. He had no idea that being a solder he might go to war. He just thought he could get some free college. IMO he should have to "pony" up or get dishonorably discharged. If you are not a solder you shouldn't be in the milatary.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Well i must say I agree with you Ron and Cycleon. I would never join the military without being prepared to go to war -even if it was a war i opposed-. Thats the job, you are expected to do it.

Bush cant just quit being president because hes had a bad day or doesnt like the way things are going. In my eyes by not fighting he is letting his fellow marines down. I dont support the war, but if i was called to serve i would. And i would do the very best I could out of respect for my fellow soldiers.

peace

I agree too...

I don't think someone who VOLUNTARELY signed up in the armed forces should even have the option of asking for Conscientious Objector status. It's refusal of service, AWOL and disonorable discharge all the way for that. And yes they should have to reimburse all sign up bonuses, scholarships and benefits.

In my mind, the Conscientious Objector status is indeed necessary, but should be ***exclusively*** reserved for DRAFTED military personel who are not serving by choice.

On the other hand if I were the other soldiers of his unit, I'd be damm glad this fuck deserted... would you want a piece of chicken shit like that backinp up your ass when the shooting starts?

Red

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    i have said before that i may not be in favor of the things our president may do with the military and the wars he may start, but if you are in the military you have a duty. I can understand that you may have a religious conversion or something but how convenient is it that concientious objectors do it when its time to go fight.

plain and simple you may not agree with the war, but you got paid, do your fucking job!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Soldier Says He's Conscientious Objector

They actually train to kill people I wonder what he thought he was training for? the panzy parade? shaking my head in disbelief - yet another happy enought to get the college money, training, etc. but when the time comes to pay for it, chickens out
    I agree with you 100% and say the same thing to people!!! Nice post.

Thread Information