Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Cool Beretta 96 40 Cal

I have shot a lot through a Beretta 9mm but this is would be my first Beretta 40 cal - 96 model... and I shot a mag through it while checking it out. A little more of a kick than the 9mm but I still get a tight group regardless - and the 40 cal would obviously have better stopping power than a 9mm in exchange for a little less effective distance. The new safety decocker is a trip... I really like it - anyone else?

1)Open Slide Design. Open top slide virtually eliminates jamming or stovepiping. Allows the user to load the chamber one cartridge at a time should the magazine be lost or damaged.
    2)No Glare Finish. Beretta’s exclusive Bruniton non-reflective matte black finish is a superior corrosion resistant coating.
    3)Automatic Firing Pin Block. The front part of the firing pin is blocked from any forward movement until the trigger is pulled completely back. Even if the pistols falls and strikes the ground, muzzle-down, the firing pin will not strike the primer._
    4)Ambidextrous Safety. Easily accessible by the thumb of a right- or left-handed shooter, it is spring loaded so it’s either positively “on” or positively “off.” (Does not apply to D or G Models).
    5)Sure, Firm Grip. The front and back of the grip are grooved, and the grip frame is flared slightly at the base to enhance pointability and control._
    6)Reversible Magazine Release. Positioned next to the trigger guard for either right- or left-handed shooters. Allows rapid reloading. Magazine drops clear when released.
    7)Light Aluminum Frame with Combat-Style Trigger Guard. The trigger guard is squared off and grooved for a firm grip using one or two hands, even when wearing gloves.
    8)Disassembly Latch. Conveniently located to simplify field stripping and maintenance, the latch makes the 92 FS one of the easiest guns to disassemble.
    9)Unique Ultra-Safe Design. The safety levers on the slide also function as the pistol’s decocking levers. When pushed down, the rear part of the firing pin (striker) is rotated out of alignment with the front part of the firing pin.

96 FS. The renowned sidearm of US Military is available in caliber .40 S&W.
    Last edited by Warrior; 03-08-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Very nice. Looks good. But guns kill

Can you buy and send me one?

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    yes, berretta is a great quality weapon. as far as the 40 cal goes, its a larger bullet than the 9mm with more "stopping" power, but its slower.....antway, a great gun non the less.......my dad has 3 or 4 berettas and we love to shoot them.....i'm looking at an HK, sig sauer, Glock, or beretta as my next gun.....i will be getting a concealed weapon permit and want something realible and compact.....a 9mm would be perfect for me...what did you pay for you 40 cal?

Awesome...

This one is $529. As I understand it - this weapon can get over $600 with some retailers - so I think $529 is a good price... I will also being getting the permit for it. Hopefully she will be mine by next week... gots to go through a few loops again... I think I will name her Big Betty!

Firing it was the shit - I hadn't fired a Beretta since the Corps and it came back pretty fast... except this one is a 40 cal vs my old 9mm. I am gonna practice fire my ass off on the weekends to get it so to the point where I am putting rounds on top of each other - and farther then the 7 meter mark too

I never fired a Glock but I prefer the Beretta's safety (and now built -in decocking lever) as well as it's single/double action. As I understand it - Glock has no external hammer (Glock 9mm in above pic). And I have heard bad shit about the trigger safety in the Glock too.

A buddy of mine has a Sig - he got a good price on it but he doesn't say too many good things about it...
    Last edited by Warrior; 03-09-2003 at 02:12 AM.

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i have a glock 10mm and i agree that the safety is not there, but i must say it is one kick ass gun.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I prefer just a good ol' colt 1911 actually. I use a Brigadeer at work and am not overly impressed with Beretta's pistols....now Beretta shotguns are top notch (well right under Benelli). Pistola looks good. Hope you enjoy

A Glock's safety is on the trigger. So, as long as the trigger is not pulled it will not fire. It makes me nervous though too.

Originally posted by Big Rush
    A Glock's safety is on the trigger. So, as long as the trigger is not pulled it will not fire. It makes me nervous though too.
    I heard a story about a guy who I am almost certain was carrying a Glock - believe he worked for the police dept. When unholstering his weapon shot himself through the leg and out the bottom of his foot. The round tore all the way through his leg... umm... OUCH!

big N is offline Anabolic Member
    guns dont kill people people kill people !warrior,id take a H&K ,.357 sig or a sig ,if u really want to spend a little mroe cash and get techinical geta kimber !where u piont it goes !

harl is offline Associate Member
    I have a Glock 23 .40 cal to and I love it. I think its the perfect cal. 9mm
    is to small .45 is to big. I had a .45 couldnt hit a back of a barn with it, it was a compact though so that didnt help things, my glock puts down a nice group, my old .45 was also heavy. The glock is very light i think the 10 shot clip of bullets weigh more than the actual gun. Yes the safety on the trigger is kinda scary
    most of the time I wont leave a one in the chamber.
    pic of the trigger safety.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beretta 96 40 Cal-glock.jpg  
    Last edited by harl; 03-09-2003 at 04:15 PM.

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i think the 10mm is the best. stronger than a 9 but just as light and controlable.

Slypknot is offline Member
    I currently have a Beretta 9mm, S&W 357mag snub and Glock .45.... outta all of em I love the feel of the Beretta (with high cap mags in it) but for accuracy it always seems the Glock wins hands down. I think my next will be a smaller Glock, something to be able to carry on me (as neither one of these are really small enough to fit in a man purse).

But for true home protection - pistol grip shotgun baby! Just cock it, look the other way while screaming like a sissy girl - and NEVER miss the perp crack head snooping in my home!

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have the same one here in my safe bro. Its a great gun. I have a 9mm, and a .45- Sig Sauer- This gun is the shit bro! as well

big N is offline Anabolic Member
    i love sigs !

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    But for true home protection - pistol grip shotgun baby! Just cock it, look the other way while screaming like a sissy girl - and NEVER miss the perp crack head snooping in my home! [/B]
    Slyp..That is some funny, but true shit. You can't miss at close range with one of those babies and even if you do the sucker going to shit his pants and run!!

IMO..I am a Glock fan..When I was in the Corps in the late 80's my unit went from the standard issue Beretta to Glocks and used the. during Desert Storm. I can say from personal experience that I have neve suffered a mal-function with a Glock. Not a lot of moving parts and very easy to disassemble in a pinch. And you can oil the gun with the oil off of your forehead. Bottom line..The Glock was made for one thing only and that is killing people!!

Just my experience..Don't get me wrong though, the Beretta is a hell of a weapon and I wouldn't hesitate to use it any day!!

Doc M

roch is offline Member
    I have a walther P99 QA .40 cal. and a hammerless .357 ruger. the walther is a nice gun and is hammerless like the glock. the ruger is hard as hell to shoot tho'. any reccomendations on places to hide them tho? my kids don't like them under their pillows, they say it hurts their heads... kidding. gotta have a gun safe.

Yeah - I out here you can get a free gun lock at the gun store. The tricky thing about it is even if someone steals your car (and you had thrown your piece in the trunk, unlocked) - if they get to it, you are still liable for whatever damage they do with their new weapon. But if it was locked in a safe inside the trunk - then you are good to go... even if they figure out how to bust a safe open, you still covered your ass by having it secured in a safe. Civil or criminal courts will see you did what you could...

Can't really hide anything form kids - when they are in the house alone, they go through all your stuff... in case you don't know this

Talking The First 30

Here are the first 30 rounds shot at the 7 yd to devirginize Big Betty! (the one I shot while shopping was a demo weapon)

10 with the left hand, 10 with the right and 10 using both hands. Eventually I'll get them all in the red

Question: Does anyone know if petroleum-based cleaning products are available anywhere? Online or offline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beretta 96 40 Cal-006sar.jpg  
    Last edited by Warrior; 04-10-2003 at 12:15 AM.

harl is offline Associate Member
    nice group...whos the little guy in the pic? j/k. I use wd for cleaning.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by hercules88
    i have never touched a gun let alone fire one. i am just wondering why people like guns so much? want makes you want to own a gun. and for those with kids in the house dont you feel like they might be able to get their hands on them. i know there are safetys with locks but there is still a chance. just wondering whats with all the fascination with guns. please inlighten me

thanx
    I'm not at all trying to be a prick or anything like that. But I kinda like what herc. is saying, and would also like to know. Just curious that is all. In a small way, I am kind of fascinated also, just because of the danger involved, and the power it has even though it is just a very small weapon. However, I am (as I have said in previous posts) against guns, and glad they are not legal in Canada.

woodsy169 is offline Associate Member
    Go with the H&K, I have an H&K USP .45 and I absolutely love it...Funny thing is I owned a Beretta 96 and traded it in on the H&K...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by big N
    i love sigs !
    Thats my next buy.
    Just sold my DE 357 which I loved and will re-purchase sometime down the road..
    40S&W is nice, but very light gun which makes the re-coil pretty stout.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    haha, taking notes on which guys not to f**k with

gunner27 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Pheedno

Thats my next buy.
    Just sold my DE 357 which I loved and will re-purchase sometime down the road..
    40S&W is nice, but very light gun which makes the re-coil pretty stout.
    Second that on S&W. My Sigma kicks something fierce and took some getting used to. Next for me: A really sweet Glock .45 (Glock 23?--I need to look it up again) that I shot the other day at the range. Amazing. A small carry gun in .45--with almost no recoil!!!

gunner27 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Terinox

I'm not at all trying to be a prick or anything like that. But I kinda like what herc. is saying, and would also like to know. Just curious that is all. In a small way, I am kind of fascinated also, just because of the danger involved, and the power it has even though it is just a very small weapon. However, I am (as I have said in previous posts) against guns, and glad they are not legal in Canada.
    Why own a gun? For me, mainly self protection. The USA has a much worse crime problem than Canada, and the cops can't protect you. If you want to be safe, it's pretty much up to you. I agree on safe storage, particularly if kids are involved. In that situation, if you need a loaded gun nearby I would really recommend a safe storage box. They lock but can be quickly opened with a 4-digit code that you punch in.

Terinox, hercules88...

Firing a good weapon with solid power versus throwing darts at the pub is... I guess it's a testosterone issue You can throw a dart into someone's eye or you can shoot them in the foot - but you wouldn't unless they were threating your safety would you? Guns don't kill people - people kill people and they don't need a gun if that's what they want to do...

Check this out... It is a portion of National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a BoyScout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you? The radio went silent and the interview ended.

Semper Fi!

RayL is offline Associate Member
    anything would be an improvement over a 9mm. i prefer .45cal myself or .357 for a revolver. one shot = one kill

Originally posted by Warrior
    Terinox, hercules88...

Firing a good weapon with solid power versus throwing darts at the pub is... I guess it's a testosterone issue You can throw a dart into someone's eye or you can shoot them in the foot - but you wouldn't unless they were threating your safety would you? Guns don't kill people - people kill people and they don't need a gun if that's what they want to do...

Check this out... It is a portion of National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a BoyScout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you? The radio went silent and the interview ended.

Semper Fi!

LMFAO...gotta luv the marines

Thread Information