Thread: Mainstream??

mammoth is offline Member

Mainstream??

I was reading a post earlier about the pumping iron video, and it made me think about the current state of competitive bodybuilding. I have read several of George Butlers books and in one he states that one of the purposes of making the movie "Pumping Iron" was to bring the sport of bodybuilding into the mainstream public view. While this may have been possible back in the 70s or 80s I believe that this would have a severe impact on what we covet as sacred if we did this today. Everybody knows that controversy and scandal sells so what do you think would be the first documentary to hit the media if bodybuilding ever became mainstream (popular)? I can see the title now-- "Steroids and Bodybuilding". Anybody who knows anything about the IFBB knows that there is a seedy underbelly to the sport. One that extends beyond corporate greed. Imagine what would happen if there was a huge resurgence in the anti-steroid campaign! The IFBB and bodybuilding would be scrutinized and the government would most likely become involved. What do you think would happen to the sport if something like this happened? It's hard enough for us aspiring bodybuilders to reach the level of the current athletes that we strive to emulate. I could only imagine how difficult it would be if the sport became any more commercialized than it already is. I could go on a hour long rant about the darkside to competitive bodybuilding but I will refrain. Any thoughts?

RayL is offline Associate Member
    You are probably right. Maybe someone could make a high quality underground video that you could only get through your source. That would be cool.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    who would be in the movie though? all of us would want to see high profile idols of ours training, however if i were one of them i wouldn't want some underground movie to be made that would eventually catapult me from the limelight to the spotlight.

it just isn't feasible enough to turn out how we all would want it to...id rather nothing if it couldn't be closely duplicated since both would bring attention to places it is not needed.

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    i agree mammoth, more attention drawn to pro BB would bbe bad for everyone on the board.

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by RayL
    You are probably right. Maybe someone could make a high quality underground video that you could only get through your source. That would be cool.
    Underground video of what? Most pros already have training videos out already. Why would they need to be underground? I am not saying that we should keep hush, hush about the subject. I am just saying that we should not try and generalize the sport. We should try to keep it away from mainstream society so we can protect the athletes from scrutiny.

Thread Information