Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Question for you trainers here.....

Just back from 24 hour. Was noticing a client one of the trainers had. I'd guess he was 80, with moderately severe ostioperosis (at one point, his head was lower than the top of his back while standing up). I didn't ask any questions, just watched out the side of my eye.

I'm hoping that before he got this older gentleman going on his routine, there was a medical exam and some kind of OK from his doctor?

I can only imagine that at some point this old guy grabbbing his chest from a heart attack.

So the question is, at what point do you request a medical checkup and OK from the client's doctor?

Or do you?

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Dont all gyms conduct a medical prior to membership, a small fitness check, bp ect.

Quote Originally Posted by auswest View Post
    Dont all gyms conduct a medical prior to membership, a small fitness check, bp ect.
    didn't happen when my son and i joined, so the answer would be "NO"

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I hope that guy knows CPR.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    when i trained, we had a health assessment form we filled out. We checked blood pressure pulse and so on. If they had certain types of issues or alot of little ones. They had to get a release from their doctor before they trained
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    when i trained, we had a health assessment form we filled out. We checked blood pressure pulse and so on. If they had certain types of issues or alot of little ones. They had to get a release from their doctor before they trained
    ^ every where I have been run this, pretty sure they would have too for their insurances.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    Same here, no health checks/exams at my current gym. The one I went to a few years ago took bp, weight etc. and then tried to refer me to a personal trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP806 View Post
    Same here, no health checks/exams at my current gym. The one I went to a few years ago took bp, weight etc. and then tried to refer me to a personal trainer.
    24hour just wanted my atm card so they can know they will get paid every month....

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auswest
    I have never even heard of this, I've been a member at about 6 different gyms not one even asked me about medical conditions!! I mean you have to sign the legal waiver but, once you've signed that they just want your money and don't give a shirt about your health!

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I would probably mention the disclaimer of having been checked by a doctor to every single one of your clients. Maybe something like that can keep the liability if something happens off of your shoulders. And so you don't screw them up. Its better to bring it up with every patient than case by case basis too as some problems can be hidden, and you don't have to worry about discriminating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyD

I have never even heard of this, I've been a member at about 6 different gyms not one even asked me about medical conditions!! I mean you have to sign the legal waiver but, once you've signed that they just want your money and don't give a shirt about your health!
    Maybe it's different here in Australia(or at least the gyms I have joined), how are you surpose to advice someone on reaching their goals if you don't know there current condition. It's in their benefit to show interest in your health cuz they then try sell pt sessions, a good company cares about there customers.
    Last edited by auswest; 06-18-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auswest View Post
    Maybe it's different here in Australia(or at least the gyms I have joined), how are you surpose to advice someone on reaching their goals if you don't know there current condition. It's in their benefit to show interest in your health cuz they then try sell pt sessions, a good company cares about there customers.
    it depends on the quality of the trainer, imho.

the rookie trainers start out at 24hour, and if/when they become good, they move on since 24hour doesn't pay that well.....

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Many trainers I know will run a few tsts (BP, resting hr, etc) and have the client fill out a form about health history.

However, no gym I have ever been a part of requires this in order to sign up for a membership

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auswest

I agree, the PTs at my gym do check some things, but not when you sign up at the gym, when you pay extra fir PT sessions then it seems like they care more!! its all about the $$$

Thread Information