Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BMANN is offline Associate Member

Fighting schools

I was interested in going to a school to learn how to fight. I don't want to take any martial arts, but just basically learning to street fight. I don't go around looking for fights, I just want to be able to protect myself and girl in case something happens. What types of schools do you go to, to learn this fighting style?

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    im not sure that they have "street fighting" schools. martial arts would probably be a better bet.

BMANN is offline Associate Member
    I'm sure, but I just want to be able to woop some ass in a clinch. I really don't want to spend years upon years training. I just want to learn the basics of fighting not martial arts.

OVG
    OVG is offline Associate Member
    If you just want to learn the basics of fighting without going to a school (Martial arts), you are going to have to start getting into some fights. That will be the fastest way to learn how to fight. Try getting together some friends, put some gloves on, or not, and go at it for a while. Most likely you are going to get pummeled but after a while you will build up your pain thresh hold and learn some of your own techniques. I'm still an advocate of any martial arts form though. They can teach you the basics that really make a difference in a fight along with the sparring.

Innervision is offline Associate Member
    Take classes in Crav. It's brutal, practical, and very effective against any other form of fighting. You're going to see Police depts learn basics of it over the next few years.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Krav Maga is good for what you ask for. Itīs what the Israeli army teaches. Good stuff.

A little tip: In a street fight anything goes! And i do mean anything.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by palme
    Krav Maga is good for what you ask for. Itīs what the Israeli army teaches. Good stuff.

A little tip: In a street fight anything goes! And i do mean anything.
    word!!

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member

Re: Fighting schools

Originally posted by BMANN
    I was interested in going to a school to learn how to fight. I don't want to take any martial arts, but just basically learning to street fight. I don't go around looking for fights, I just want to be able to protect myself and girl in case something happens. What types of schools do you go to, to learn this fighting style?
    see if there is a school that teaches shoot fighting in your area. It is pretty intense with full contact training sessions.

As far as not going around looking for fights, that is just what you might want to do to really learn how to street fight. I used to fight a lot growing up but as you grow older you realize it is better talk through your differences than to throw down. Both from a liability prospective and civil prospective.

Magicz is offline Associate Member
    kick boxing owns

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    I wish i could master jiu-jitsu.. got a few lock but nothing yet to be usefull in a street fight..
    You can actually control the guy make him say anything you want and you are pretty sure he wont try to attack you after.. Mixed with some kick boxing that would be hardcore

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    how do you tell what schools are good. I know there is places by me that are cheesy family place. How do you know what places are legit?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

King Samson is offline Associate Member
    When I started training jiu-jitsu, within 3 months I was using it on the streets efficiently. In those 3 months I would estimate that I doubled or tripled the amount of asses that I could kick. Now when I go places I have total confidence. When people give me a problem I know that unless they are or have trained some kind of ground fighting and they are good at it, I will win. I don't want this post to turn into me trying to sound like a bad ass but I just think that someone with jiu-jitsu training and even a small amont of talent will be able to accomplish your goal. But nothing beats mma with jiu-jitsu in the mix. JMHO

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    hey bro look for those little dirty ass schools. i am training karate/mma at a nice place. but i found this hardcore little ass kickboxing school that also has grapling once a week. it is pretty cheap you can go as much as you want and no uniform. to me that is what you are looking for. once you get the basics we pretty much beat the shit out of each other. hence my broken ribs which is preventing me from my purrty cycle. lol the teacher is cool as shit and he is not in it for the money which is nice. so look hard and talk to some people. i'm sure you'll be able to find something. good luck bro

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Look for a MA school thats focus is on "self defense" rather than sport is your best bet, Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, etc. If you cannot find one that focuses on street self defense, join a judo or wrestling club for 6 months then quit that and join a boxing or Muay Thai club. Continue six month rotations until you find which one you can most usefully put to your purpose. Also read books on the subject because the most important parts are strategic not tactical. Make sure to shop around because a lot of MA schools claim to be the end all be all, and you need some perspective.

Recenlty Ive been watning to learn some kind of martial arts...maybe brazillian jui jitsu, kickboxing or krav maga...

but i'm relatively small guy 5'9 140lbs...does it rewally matter in jui jitsu how big you are? I know kickboxing doesnt...i see this small 102lns thai guys kicking the living shit out of each other all the time, so i can qualify for that...

I just want to learn some fighting for self defense and i thinkits alot of fun...all i know i street fighting now...but it wont do me alot of good

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i think size dose not matter. the kid who broke my ribs had to be about 130 wet. that little bastard. not that i'm big at 5'10 183 but i am alot bigger than him. so in answer to your ? go train what your little heart desires my friend.

I dont care what size people are. Unless you are a big ole monster like Bob Sapp http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/d...fighterid=4416
    you will be infinitely better in a fight with only a year of any good MA training. Skill is much, much, more improtant than size.

Damnit, i dont know what i want to learn, i mean i want to know how to react qucikly and put someone in a postion that he wouldnt be able to move, and at the same time to know how to punc, kick and throw some one with one finger...

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Skill can definitely overcome strength in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've trained against a 5'6 140 lb guy when I was 6' 230 lb and he was able to hold his own against me. My friend is 6'1 170 and he DOMINATES me when I grapple him because he knows so much more technique then I.

Whatever you do dont do Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Aikido, or Wing Chun(Spelling?)....They are all bullshit and they all dont work effectively. Anyone with some sense will overcome that crap instantenously. Somone who trains MMA or Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, or Muai Thai will destroy you most likely. Think about it, do you see any Karate or TKD experts in UFC or Pride anymore? No b/c that crap sucks......

redrumkev is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
    That is the shit. And not only do you learn ground moves and grappling tactics it is a hell of workout. Both physically and cardio. 3 or 4, one minutes wrestling sessions will leave you breathing hard as hell and barely able to walk then next day after a one hour class. Most fights in bars and stuff are crazy. If you start to win the "Friends" jump in. Someone is a smart and graps a bottle and well... the next post is from cell block D. At least learning some of the above listed fourms of fighting/self defense - and any of them for that fact, will allow you to take care of an attacker but the whole time you will be in self defense mode so you don't end up in jail. Just remember when the police gets their that you were in fear of your life. It is ok to be scared, grown men - big grown men get scared. If you say he was nothing I don't know why I stopped I should have just killed him. Well that will be A & B and require some court apperances and lots of money, possible law suits. Just plain bad shit!

King Samson is offline Associate Member
    Jiu-Jitsu is the most domanent of all the martial arts IMO. The Gracies proved it in the early UFCs. And if you need more proof just look at Tanks comeback Tank relied on his striking skills instead of his ground skills and got his ass kicked quick.

UltimateFighter is offline Associate Member
    hey bro take my word for it. I have done several full contact cage fights. Take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and learn how to win a fight on the ground. Then, take muay Thai kickboxing and learn how to punch, knee, and kick. Then mix them together. Even better- if you live in a town that has a MMA/NHB/Vale Tudo school go there. I teach at one here in town and like you are asking for......I basically teach people how to fight. Practical, real fighting.

After doing some thinking, I decided that I would really like to learn some martial arts, especially BJJ/kickboxing. I was always infetuated(sp?) with getting into physical activities like that, I just like the adrenaline rush. I live in the Dallas area, I know we hahve alot of schools like tha there, but I dont know which one to take and how to look and the ones that Ive cheked online seem to be to pricey for me. I'll keep on looking, but if you have any ideas how to look....Id liek to know.

By the way whats is MMA?

ValeTudoFighter is offline Junior Member
    Damn, I just started to post on this site and didn't expect to see many people into NHB.

The way I look at it, the best way to get better with out traing for years is sparring. Experiance is so important when it comes to fighting and when you do it enough even with out learning any techniques you will adapt by your self and become a better fighter. I don't recommend sparrinf with out learning some techniques first but if you could only do one: techniques against a bag or live sparring without knowing techniques, sparring will make you tougher and a better street fighter.

As far as styles...

Street fighting and self defense, Krav Maga is the way to go. Oh yeah not that Jennifer Lopez stuff either, real krav maga.

And for sport fighting, which is what I do mostly. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu WAS definitely the single best martial art for a while but you can't rely on just one thing anymore. I train in Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ. You pretty much cover everything with those.
    Boxing: for hands speed, punching power and footwork.
    MT: for knees, elbows, kicks and fighting from the clinch.
    Wrestling: for takedowns, ground control and base.
    BJJ: submissions, escapes, sweeps and soo much more you would only understand if you trained in it.

If i goto a school to check it out before i sign up.What are some good questions to ask them about how they train or teach? If that makes sence.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    1st Gixxerboy what part of Jersey you in I know a couple places that are good.

2nd...the best thing to know is alittle bit of everything but alot of ground work. I know some jiu-jitsu (I want more!!!) and I know some good ways to break stuff. It's scary when you realize what you can do.
    I used to wrestle, so the shoot isn't the problem, I also boxed so throwing good punches works. Kicking is deffinatley my weekspot so I signed my kid up for Tai Kwon Do so I can milk his knowledge...I'm supposed to spare with them over there so that would be a good way to go.

bmann- find a gym that spares and spares alot! You'll learn...hell my best lessons came from my dad, that is deffending against him. If you spare in a training type way you'll learn.

Also, my bud is taking this win-chun? I don't know but the dude that started it taught Bruce Lee. He ran with Bruce, anyways the guy that runs the place is 2nd to him, and this guy does some stuff that is simply UN-BELIEVABLE! It's very very scary what this guy does! and teaches...they were teaching one punch kills or something like that and there was this 13 yearold girl there learning.
    Sorry I'm rambling I get all geeked up when it comes to Jiu Jitsu and fighting.

MDMA is offline Banned
    Take BJJ - then pick whatever kinda style you want to train strikes. BJJ is a great base, learn to fight on the ground and you have a weapon that 90% of TRAINED fighters dont even have. If only 10% of TRAINED fighters know anything about ground fighting, imagine how much the normal population knows - heh.

Boxer101 is offline Junior Member
    A popular misconception about martial arts is the typical skinny ass fag doing the karate kid impression on the street. Krav Maga and Jiujitsu are both very practical forms of street fighting. Krav is a bit more skilled in lethal strikes and jiujitsu is all about the ground. I personally dont feel that any form of martial arts to date is capable of producing well rounded fighters. I think you should look into a MMA school (Mixed Martial Arts) which will incorporate the best aspects of several styles to include joint locks and submissions as well as strikes and holds.

ripsid. I live in ocean county. I also wrestled all of my life so i pretty good at that. Anyway let me know if you know anyplace

If you have wrestled all of your life you have the ground game covered, and then some. Even a half decent high school wrestler should be able to toss around any non trained fighter twice his size. In a street fight you don't need to "win" per say but you need to be able to dominate the position so you can and disengage and leave the scene. Sport MMA is great but if you are looking for self defense I would stick with something more geared toward that. Learn a few techniques and practice them until you can sink them on anyone. Like Bruce Lee said "Simplicity is the key".

If you are going into a BJJ school ask the following questions......

Who is the instructor
    Is he at least a purple belt (maybe a blue belt like me in smaller towns)
    (keep in mind blue belt in BJJ is about 2 years)
    Who gave him his belt
    What tournaments has he entered/won?

If you are looking for MMA (mixed martial arts.... ultimate fighting....NHB) ask again who the instructor is. Ask how many fights he has had and ask his record. If you are taking MMA from someone who has never been in a cage then you are stupid. Ask what styles he uses. Ask to have a free month. Once you need gear you'll have to use the web...allow me to plug my favorite site- www.mmagear.com they ship all their shit from Brasil for free. For NHB gloves ouano.com PM me with any specific questions. I am not a pro fighter but am 3-1 so far in MMA fighting.

Here is a pic from my last fight. It was full No Holds Barred rules but we wore BJJ gi's just for something different. I am in the background and that mother fucker has plates in his jaw and 4 missing teeth.

gixxer,
    I'm in burlington cnty, I know there's a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu place here, my fiancee took kick boxing there, and the instructor is almost a black belt. He also has fought in MMA promotions like, Mega Fights by Ken Shamrock and IFC. He's 3-1, his only loss was to one of the Lions Dens instructors Vernon "Tiger" White. I'll ask some of my buds about MMA down your way...

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hey ripsid

my gf lives in mt luarel.i'm actually thinking about going to ricardo almeida's school atflex gym in burlington.he's fought in adu dhabi, pride, pancrase, etc.studentof renzo's (only bad thing,hehe).is that where you are talking about?if so shot me aPM.would be good to know someone elsethere since this will be my first JJ training outsideof working privately w/ a guy at my gym at his place.
    gixxer, isn't TR boxing academy still by you??i have heardabout it, but don't knwo anyone who has been.
    i took a break frommuay thai for the last year, but am trying to start it back up in neptune whre a new academy just started up.i know private instructors in the monmouth cty area if you need any info.the pricesthey charge are excellent

i found a school near me tell me how this sounds first 2 lessons free. first trail month is $99. as many sessions as you want. after that its 119 a month. You ca ngo as often as you like. Its mixed martial arts muay thia Kickboxing, grappling bjj. It seems like a good legit place.

gixxer,
    I'd ask the guys what UltimateFighter said to ask for. A mixed martial is good, but is this a Mui Tai guy who's new at BJJ? Definatly ask! The muay thai guys don't last against the BJJs! I'd even before paying for the trial sit in on a few after your 2 free. They may have several teachers and only ones worth a damn. I have my fiancee and kid in a class and it's like 200 for both of them and now she's like I don't like the teaching style! I have a contract so I'm f'd! Definately make sure they don't pressure you either!
    Look at some of the video's of the other martial artists against the BJJ's they don't do too good!.
    Go see some vid's of some non ring fighters...Especially the MMA vs Kung fu...This kung fu guy enters a bjj school and challenges there best guy, we'll just say the guy is typing with one arm!
    http://www.bullshido.us/

the bjj guy wasnt there but they said he is a blackbelt a Brazilian and national champ.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hey gix

what school are you talking about?isit easter sun or tong dragon in bayville?actually i haver heard that tong dragon is a great shootfighting school.theirteam competes in all the NAGA events

tong dragon is were i went. It seemed good but i didnt know if that price was average for a month.Its around the corner from my house

If the instructor is a BJJ black belt then you are damn lucky. Make sure you know who he got it from. $120 a month is normal. I don't charge that much at our school......its just too much around here. Guys that are actively fighting on our team do not even pay. I give people a free month and they usually quit when it comes time to pay. That seperates the losers from the real fighters.

shit 120 a month?????? tjhats to much for my pocket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information