solidj55 is offline Member

Anyone here ride moutain bikes or road bikes?

I am thinking of buying a good moutain bike or a street bike. Not sure which one I would rather have. I need another hobby other than lifting weights, I only lift 3 times per week and I need cardio but want to have some fun cardio. I have been considering buying a bike(it was that or take up hiking). How many of you guys ride bikes for recreation?

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I mountain/trail bike exclusively as a hobby...very uncompetitive, mostly with a bud or the girlfriend. Iwas torn between a road bike and moutnain bike, and also took it up for the same reason as you and I would strongly recommend a mountain bike, since it is quite possible to use it on the road (i'll often take it to class or work), but it is quite unfeasible (to say the least) to take a road bike trail riding. Even if you never get into full on mountain biking, trail riding is quite enjoyable if you ask me...you don't have to be living a nissan xterra commercial in the least, just riding in the woods, through a few streams is enough for me.

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    I was lifting naturally, then bought a road bike and lost 20lbs. I looked like an emaciated little girl. Terrible. I got back into lifting, ate right, worked hard, and started juicing. Now I have a body worthy of some self respect.

It's a great deal of fun - I admit. Nothing quite like cruising along at 22mph on a straightaway enjoying the sun and scenery, or speeding downhill at 50mph. Keep your <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> up and only do it during a cutting cycle as a substitute for conventional cardio. Otherwise, the two can be mutually exclusive.

-SF

solidj55 is offline Member
    Well thanks first off for the advice/info. I am mostly wanting to use it for the reasons BigGreen stated, not to be in the X Games or anything. I am not a bodybuilder, I lift for exercise, functional muscle, and the sheer enjoyment I get from it so the loss of weight wouldnt bother me.

RayL is offline Associate Member
    I bought a mountain bike last spring. No doubt, you will become addicted if you have any balls at all. You will be getting ready for the X-games before you know it. After not getting on a bike for many years, within a month I was riding down steep inclines and riding over logs that measured 3' in diameter and all kinds of other crazy shit. Needless to say, I bought a set of clipless pedals the first week (shoe locks onto pedals without a cage type mechanism) and winded up at the medical center getting my abdomen scanned with an ultrasound machine because I crashed and got a lump on my stomach the size of a golf ball (hematoma(sp?)). It will hinder any strength or mass gains if you ride alot. I lost 15-20 lbs very quickly last spring and strength decreased rapidly. Its a great cardio workout

RayL is offline Associate Member
    Solid55, I noticed that you are from VA. If you are not too far from Balto., Md. you have to go riding at the Patapsco State Park-Avalon Area. I ride there often and from what I hear, it is one the best places on the east coast for mountain biking.

superman1975 is offline New Member
    i have 3 mountain bikes--a waterford for XC, a yeti for downhill, and an azonic for dual slalom, and 1 road bike a waterford--i have raced bikes all my life going on 23 yrs this yr and i am going to be 28 in june--go with a road bike for cardio--mt bikes will put you in the hospital a lot faster then a road bike would---or if its only cardio your after get a hybrid---its has a much easier geometry on the body and nice fat slicks to help with stablity

superman1975 is offline New Member
    oh ya if you do get a bike--get a helmet, and water bottle cages from the dealer and make them give you a deal on them or go elsewhere--treat the trail with respect, tread lightly and leave no trace---i have worked on trail access for the past 10 yrs and hate to see places get closed down because of stupidity--pm me the area your from and i prolly know a good dealer in your area--and remember a bike is like a car you will spend more for the good stuff and go in educated when you buy--know the difference between suspensions, and the difference in valves on the tubes for the tires---feel free to pm me with any questions on this matter

ireloaded9 is offline Junior Member
    I bought a K2 hardtail last year..nothing competitive but it is well worth it...went riding with my gf yesterday..i spent about $500 for the bike and every penny is worth it...i enjoy riding on dirt trails...something about them seems more adventurous then paved trails..

Thread Information