Jenseno9 is offline Member

computer question?

Quick question....How come when I hit the up arrow key my computer goes into power save mode and everything turns off? How can I change this? As you can imagine it is pretty annoying...I have windows XP if that helps...thanks bros.

Jen

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    wow.never heard of anything like that happening. What brand computer do you have? I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and getting them to help you out. All major computer companies have help lines.

I have a gateway. Maybe I'll give them a call.
    thanks

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Never heard of that... maybe it's the keyboard?

Come on anybody?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I am not too familiar with a Windows operating system (I use Mac) but I can guess that you may have accidently set a hot key for powering down the hard drive. A lot of featuires can be set to use hot keys... most should be configurable with a control panel.

Look in your Control Panels folder in your main dirve (I believe it should be the C drive) for something that sounds like it may have something to do with a power saving feature. Open any control panels that have something to do with power saving... and see if there are any hot key settings for it... and see if the arrow key was accendently set to power down the system.

If this all sounds greek to you - you may be better off finding someone to help you who knows the operating system very well so you don't set something else incorrectly...

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Warrior
    I am not too familiar with a Windows operating system (I use Mac) but I can guess that you may have accidently set a hot key for powering down the hard drive. A lot of featuires can be set to use hot keys... most should be configurable with a control panel.

Look in your Control Panels folder in your main dirve (I believe it should be the C drive) for something that sounds like it may have something to do with a power saving feature. Open any control panels that have something to do with power saving... and see if there are any hot key settings for it... and see if the arrow key was accendently set to power down the system.

If this all sounds greek to you - you may be better off finding someone to help you who knows the operating system very well so you don't set something else incorrectly...
    Now this is some excellent advice from Warrior. I'm also guessing that it might be a setting you accidentally changed. As a matter of fact, just today my sister was complaining about her monitor shuting off and going into safe mode. I'm also not too sure about XP. But i'm guessing it is close to what Warrior said. Try the Control Panel thing.

Also, you might wanna try this (not sure if it will work), right click on your desktop (anywhere on the screen), and click on "Properties", now go to "Screen Saver" and at the bottom, there should be a "Power" button. Click that, and read the stuff, there might be some settings in there (I know there are in Windows 2000, but not sure about XP).

If you run out of luck, and still don't know the problem, then it is best to call the manufacturer, or just take it to a nearby PC shop and get them to look at it.

Good luck bro,
    T.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro its one of 3 things:
    1. You have a hot key set up on your up arrow
    2. A very lame virus if thats all its doin
    3. You keyboard is damaged

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by Full Intensity
    Bro its one of 3 things:
    1. You have a hot key set up on your up arrow
    2. A very lame virus if thats all its doin
    3. You keyboard is damaged

Nice job with the details and the solutions Just busting your balls bro

Full Intensity is right on the money, most likely it is one of those three. I'm guessing either number 1 or 3.

Thread Information