Terinox is offline The One & Only

Need Some Help (Career/Future)

Alright, first a warning that this is gonna be long and boring, so I doubt I'll get much help

I go to Univ. of Toronto. Although I am in my second year, I will only have 6 full credits at the end of this year (if things go well). I'm also on Academic Probation (not enuff high GPA = 1 year suspension). And as hard and boring as I find Univ. to be, I'm doing my best to stick with it and get SOME kind of degree.

Main problem I have is I can't seem to find anything I REALLY like. I got accepted first for Comp. Sci, and slowly I started realizing this is WAY too boring, and I can't picture myself doing this as a career. I was also taking first year Psyc. course, which was okay, but I couldn't find myself doing Psyc. related career (unless I went medical, not a possibility). I even took Economics over the summer last year, and noticed that the Eco. and the Math were WAY too boring, and not just hard, but unbarable, and don't think Business is the way either.

Currently i'm taking Philosophy and Sociology courses. Philosophy just because it seemed like the only thing I could take that didn't require any real prerequisites, and also because I actually find it slightly amusing/interesting. I started taking Sociology just because it was a first year course, and I had to take SOMETHING. So far, I find it okay, and not too bad, kinda interesting. So, i've been thinking about Majoring in Phil. & Soc., OR Majoring in one, while Minoring in the other.

However, I'm not sure what a Sociology degree would do for me in the future. I know that with a Philosophy degree you are pretty screwed without much jobs available. One job that I have found interesting (very slightly, and I really don't even know why, could be the money maybe), is Human Resources. I think this is the only thing really left for me to consider, everything else being all boring or what not. For HR is a most likely career options (at least one option), and so I'm still not sure.

Now here are a couple questions:

Anyone in AR have a Human Resource job? Or closely related? Or know anyone IN Human Resources?

Also, do you know WHAT kind of courses you need to take and what to major in to help with getting a job in HR? Sociology, being the study of people and societies and much more, I'm guessing is a good major for HR. I tried talking to a counsellor once, she seemed to be quite the bitch. Not to mention, now during exams, can't really go to anyone in school for info/advice (which I should have done before).

On another note, I've always wanted a career in the Policing field. Either with OPP, RCMP or CSIS. Only problem is I don't meet the eyesight requirements (which I might get away with if I lie about my contacts lenses). But, I've been thinking that Police is always something I could fall back on.

Any advice, info, critisims, comments, flames or sexual harassments, are all welcome

Matt Foley is offline Member
    dude you got it rough,im sittin here deciding whether to work at 7/11 or super quick mart. so ive got the same damn question!

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Well I wish I had better advice but all I can tell you is stick it out and get your degree. What it is in is not nearly as important as getting it. Unless you are going into a specialized field you will find that most people work in jobs that have little or nothing to do with their Majors in college.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Hey Terinox,

Mate i was in the exact same position you are when i was in uni. It sounds like you have no idea what you want to do with your life, dont worry its not that uncommon.

There isnt really any advice i can offer either, but i did IT in uni, left it after a year cuz i was sick of teaching the teachers, so i went to work, and found that i was good at it and l liked it, lucky too cuz its made me a hell of a lot of money over the years.

But now at the ripe old age of 26, i'm doing a career move in the next 6 months into... you guessed it Personal Trainer, give that a try for a while see if i like it, if not, back to IT, and i can probably do both IT and PT at the same time, which is my plan.

What rickson said is true, i find a lot of people in IT (i work in IT now btw) that have degrees in stuff like Geology, psychology all sorts of weird things, it doesnt matter WHAT degree you get, it still seems to look good on a resume even if it has nothing to do with what your currently doing.

I dunno if this post is gunna help ya, but i feel for ya bro, i know what your going through, you just have to find something that you want to do, since your doing a uni course, just finish it with as high grades as you can, cuz man at the end of it your not gunna be getting into a minimum wage job, and thats what you gotta think about...

Good luck with it all mate, and hope it all works out for you, if you feel like venting send me a PM, i'm used to recieving vents from my friends might help ya to get things off ya chest.

HUMP ... I mean BUMP

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Why not just focus on getting your basics out of the way for now and just toss some ideas around of what career you want to get into. That way when time comes to start taking classes towards your major you'll have had time to narrow some options down. Hell I'm just trying to figure out a way to go back to school.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    hey ter...i hear ya..

i majored in business management, requiring me to take courses in human resources, marketing, finance, accounting, econ, statistics, business law, speech, investments, urban econ analysis and soo many more i can't even remember....the one thing i did learn...was that i can now land a job in any industry i want if i'm willing to start at the bottom.

human resources is so broad...it goes from simply dealing with the hiring and firing to dealing with govt organizations such as osha or others to employee saftey, all your local and federal laws...it's an exteremly broad field. if your university does not have a human resources program and you think you'd be interested in that field....check out your business classes. while econ might be boring, finance might flip your switch...or maybe marketing.

you like sociology so maybe regional econ might do it for you...or maybe personal finance or geeze..there are so many jobs out there for you if you have education....stick with something, just the degree will get you a job some places....i'm a college grad with four years of work experience and i've not yet decided what i want to be when i grow up....two months from now, i hope to be bartending and gettin my mba in marketing...i think that might light my bulb

good luck man....with whatever you decide to do

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by Lostsoul
    Hey Terinox,

There isnt really any advice i can offer either, but i did IT in uni, left it after a year cuz i was sick of teaching the teachers, so i went to work, and found that i was good at it and l liked it, lucky too cuz its made me a hell of a lot of money over the years.
    I did the exact same thing as you. The problem is that without a degree nobody is willing to pay me what I feel I am worth, no matter how much experience I have. So I decided that I am going back to school.

Terinox--The good thing about getting your initial degree is that you can more easily make a career change down the road. What I mean by that is you could easily get your masters in something else unrelated (well maybe not completely unrelated) to what your original major was, and you could do it in about half the time it takes to get a bachelor's degree. A co-worker of mine is a Electrical Engineer major and he decided he wanted to get his MBA so he did it over the internet through University of Florida and it only took him about 1.5 years. Now he has a Masters and has the ability to make tons of money. So basically to back up what Rickson said, don't sweat it. You have plenty of time and one day you will come to the decision as to what you really want to do with your life. Getting a degree now, regardless of what it is, will make your life a whole lot easier in the future. Good luck Bro!!

novicemarine is offline Junior Member
    I don't mean to be a bad influence. I'm one of few (from what I see here) people who never even tried college. But I knew I'd be where you are on day 1. But do you think you're beating a dead horse? I mean, you're in college, just to be in college. A girl that graduated a few years ago called me up and told me she was graduation with a degree in general studies. I was like... Hey congrats. You know? I'm not going to try and piss on her, but I've already got an associates degree in electrical engineering, and I've been out of Highschool... let's just say a lot less than her. But she basically majored in her freshman year, right? I mean, I understand you don't want to drop out of college, that's not what I'm suggesting necessarily. I don't know. This is where I'm useless I guess. I just can't see anyone at roughly our age deciding what they want to do for the rest of their lives. ...Here's the best way I can think of saying it... do you go out and look for a woman because you want to get married? I mean, a lot of people WANT to be married, and pretty much jump at the opportunity. But if you're as rational as you seem thus far, you know that's just retarded. Now I realize it's a bad example because carreer decisions have timeframes and women are always there... but that's the best I can think of. Just make sure you're where you want to be. I feel for ya. God knows, I kinda chickened out on making that decision. But I'm more than happy where I am. I kinda put my life on hold while making an income and saving for when I do decide to go to school (My montgomery GI bill is payed off as of next month). And I know that I'll have a plan by the end of my enlistment when my education is free! ... So, maybe there's a similar option for you. I don't know what you would want, but that's my off the wall add in. I feel out of place suggesting something totally different than what you're thinking (or almost implying that you drop out of school, 'cause it probably sounds ridiculous) and I don't know how it works up there. But that's what I'd tell my little brother whom I genuinely care about, reguardless of what is generally DEEMED right. Only I wouldn't pussyfoot around the idea with him. Sometimes you just have to consider timing. Just an idea.

jollyroger is offline New Member
    Bro, I also have been (and in some ways still am) where you are. My advice to you is to get your degree in what interests you the most. But DO make sure to get a degree! After you graduate you can experiment with some jobs and do some networking. If you find a job or profession that you want to pursue further you can always go to grad school. I am interested in going to grad school, but like you, I can't make up my mind what to major in, and I'm 37 years old. Just don't take yourself too seriously and have fun along way!
    Last edited by jollyroger; 04-24-2003 at 08:51 PM.

David B. is offline Member
    Is your eyesight too bad to get into the Canadian military? If you're interested in law enforcement, a majority of those guys come from a military background. A stint in the military might also help you "get your mind right" and stop floundering around.

--dnb

RayL is offline Associate Member
    I feel for ya bro. I had the same problem when I was younger. I went to college, dropped out, joined the Navy for 4 years, got out, went back to college, got a B.S. in business management. I'll be 31 next week, unemployed for about a month now, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. The only thing that I can say is think long and hard about what you want to do and don't be afraid to study something challenging. I took business management because I thought it would quick and easy. It was, I hate it, and I can't get a decent job.

novicemarine is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by RayL
    I feel for ya bro. I had the same problem when I was younger. I went to college, dropped out, joined the Navy for 4 years, got out, went back to college, got a B.S. in business management. I'll be 31 next week, unemployed for about a month now, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. The only thing that I can say is think long and hard about what you want to do and don't be afraid to study something challenging. I took business management because I thought it would quick and easy. It was, I hate it, and I can't get a decent job.

Hmmm... On second thought, Terinox, in the words of Van Wilder, "Don't be a fool, stay in school". I'm sorry I ever implied you should leave. But I do agree... You should think long and hard. The reason I didn't suggest the Canadian military is because I don't know how it works for you guys. I'm MORE than happy as a US Marine, though! Maybe it's an option if you just can't find anything. Bootcamp is a pain in the ass, but you'll get lots of ass to make up for it when you get out!

Aside from how uneducated I may sound suggesting that a Canadian become a US Marine, I know that that's a way that a lot of people neutralize to the states, is joining the military. I had an African who spoke broken English in my platoon, on Parris Island. But I think the MOS's (Military occupations) are somewhat limited, though, because he had a college education and was infantry. So, he got shafted. College grads qualify for OCS (officer bootcamp, basically).

Re: Need Some Help (Career/Future)

Originally posted by Terinox
    On another note, I've always wanted a career in the Policing field. Either with OPP, RCMP or CSIS. Only problem is I don't meet the eyesight requirements (which I might get away with if I lie about my contacts lenses). But, I've been thinking that Police is always something I could fall back on.
    Finish a degree in anything (like sociology) and then apply for the RCMP

RCMP gives *high* priority to applicants with a university education. They don't really care in what. They want mounties who can think for themselves, not big bruisers.

Other things that help a lot for RCMP are knowing more than one language, having good social skills and empathy, and not being a white male (RCMP does have a reverse-discrimination policy, but contrarely to popular belief, they do still hire way more white males than minorities or females. one of my bros here at work just took off to Regina, SK for RCMP Academy a few weeks ago).

Not sure about OPP or T. city police though... I' think an RCMP job would give you MUCH better advancement possibilities.

Red

Thanks for all the great long feedbacks, it really does help! I do agree, I should just pull my weight and work hard and at least finish some kind of degree.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets all confused about this stuff. I mean sometimes when your parents talk to you, they make it sound so simple (they moved here from another country), and they think it's as simple as picking a chocolate bar. I mean, they have no idea how hard it is to pick a career. They are like, yeah well just go be a lawyer, doctor, business man, I mean COME ON, get real it is NOT that easily decided!!

Major problem with police/military work is that my parents are HIGHLY against it. I've liked it for over 7-8 years now, always thinking about it, but sometimes my parents can be crazy. To them everything is a conspiracy, and they think the government is all up to crazy things, and cops are all dirty, doing the governments dirty work, which just kills me each time I hear it. My sister also helped me out a lot. She constantly tells me how important it is to get a degree, and once I get one (whatever it is) then just do what "I" want to do, and don't even think/worry about what mom/dad say.

RCMP/CSIS sound good (as a possibility), and I will keep it on my list. But still, not very sure. I'll see what happens, but I will try my best to stay in school for as long as possible

Thnx again,
    T.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i know how you feel bro
    i went almost 3 years and got a AA degree before deciding on a major. you could aways get a aa or as first. the main advice i can give is dont think too long in school for a certain job is too long.
    i wanted to do sports medicine but felt the 8 years in school was too long. i was 21 and thinking i would be almost 30 before getting a job in that field. now i'm 35 and realize that 8 years(actually more) went by quick and if i had stayed in that field i would be rich now.
    now i have 120 plus college credits and a AA degre to show for it. i changed my major 2 times and 1 of then i only need 12 more classes for my bachlor degree. the job i have now has nothing to do with any college i ever took

go with what you want to do,what interests you and makes you happy and not be afraid of the length of time to get it---it will pay off in the end

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by Terinox
    Thanks for all the great long feedbacks, it really does help! I do agree, I should just pull my weight and work hard and at least finish some kind of degree.

While you're trying to decide what to do, get your core curriculum out of the way -- those classes that are required for all BA applicants regardless of degree. I dunno how different school is in Canada as opposed to the USA, but down here pretty much everyone has to have the same freshman and sophomore core classes -- English comp., college algebra, western civ., world lit., biology, physics, chemistry... Get that tedious stuff out of the way while you're floundering about, and maybe by then a career path will present itself to you.

--dnb

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    T man I too was CSC at U of T, and I pulled out over a year ago. I too was soo fucking bored with java and couldn't see myself coding for the rest of my life. It was way too much of a cubicle job for me. Now I'm in IT at Rye. Its awesome, up to date and there is a lot of hands on. And it isn't a cubicle job. I herd the same thing from my parents and shit they weren't happy but u gotta do what u feel is right!

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Yah, get a business degree. Sooner or later you're gonna have to get a job doing something. Without a degree you can be a clerk, with a degree you can be a manager, or have the know-how to run a business well.
    I've met a few doctors/lawyers/whatnots who gave up their professions for running a small business in rural Texas. Having business know-how will come in handy for just about anything you end up doing (or leaving).
    With a business degree you could open a gym, suppliment co, underground juice operation, etc etc etc. Of course, you could always run one without a degree, but with the knowledge that comes with one you'll have an easier time (1) getting funding (2) making a profit (3) re-investing the profits.
    I started in on computers years ago . . . the trend now is to outsource the brain work to India/other countries where engineers are glad to work for much much less. Not good. If you do decide on a profession, make sure it's one where they can't outsource what you do to a foreign country, or automate with software. Me, I retired (at 47) and went to Barber school. Heard on the radio (PBS) of one guy who loved to party hearty and managed to graduate from business school. Went on lots of job interviews, didn't really like any of the places he got offers from. Eventually got hired on by some liquor manufacturer for the sole purpose of going to bars and partying, encouraging patrons to buy his company's booze. Was good for a few years, then had to quit 'cause he ended up as an alcoholic. Point is, once you get a business degree, there's really no telling what you might end up doing. Personal business assistant for Joe Weider, maybe. Who knows?
    Nevermind trying to decide what you want to be when you grow up. Most people never do figure that out . . . just take yer best option as it comes along. For you, Yah, I'd bet that'd be business, especially if you're the entreprenuerial/restless/outgoing type.
    Good luck,
    --Tock

Thread Information