Thread: SARS in Toronto

mammoth is offline Member

SARS in Toronto

I heard a news report this morning that the WHO (World Health Organization) was telling tourists to steer clear of Toronto. Apparently this made the mayor pretty upset. I know there are alot of Canadians on this board and was wondering what the real story is. Is SARS currently that bad up there in the wintery north?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

Re: SARS in Toronto

Originally posted by mammoth
    I heard a news report this morning that the WHO (World Health Organization) was telling tourists to steer clear of Toronto. Apparently this made the mayor pretty upset. I know there are alot of Canadians on this board and was wondering what the real story is. Is SARS currently that bad up there in the wintery north?

I do not think it is as bad as the media may make it appear. The medical people say that they have it fairly under control, and the spread has been well controlled. It has been a full week before our last case, and so they believe they are getting it under control.

WHO, I think jumped too soon, and they are just worried too much and added us to the list. The Mayor is quite pissed, even some of the doctors are surprised that it happened so soon, but still not fully unexpected.

As far as I know, the average person just goes about his daily life, without really changing anything. I know I'm going about my normal routine (which isn't much though .) but I still go to the gym, my friend all do their stuff, just like a normal city. Only people who should REALLY take precautions are people going to doctors/hospitals, and those who wish to travel. But like I said, I don't think it is THAT bad.

Eddyflash is offline Junior Member
    I just went to toronto on business earlier this month and when I was flying back they were asking everyone in line at the airport "Are you sick" and if you answered no you were free to go..pretty wierd

Expendable is offline Associate Member
    You're more likely to die of a car accident in toronto than get SARS... come'on people!

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    Yeah i know its getting crazy. My firefighter test was pushed back because of SARS. I found out in mid-may when Im supposed to write the exam. I was supposed to have it last week. Oh well more study time!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    A very large majority of SARS victims are elderly or have weak immune systems. I find it funny that bigshot American celebrities are acting like schoolgirls when faced with the possibility of a trip to Toronto. Kelly Clarkson even cancelled an appearance in Toronto, but I don't blame her - she shouldn't risk her remaining 3 minutes of fame.

Toronto is safe, assuming you're not coming here to tour hospitals.

The only epidemic in Toronto is a media panic... nothing more.

- Canadian population: 31,499,560

- Affected people: 327 "probable cases" being treated

- Deaths where SARS is a possibility: 20 and almost ALL of them were elderly people in poor health.

You do the math...

Complications from the god damm FLU or the common cold probably kills more people yearly than this bullshit.

Real epidemic or bullshit media panic? You know which one gets my vote...

Red

Thread Information