tolinka is offline Senior Member

Question talent, abilities...where does come from?

Well, I was sitting here at work doing basically nothing today, and thinking to myself if i good make it to be pro soccer player. The whole reason of this thread will be explained soon.

I mean, I have a good understaning of the game, qucik thinking, good accurate passin and crossing, shooting is fine, good teamwork abilties. The disedventeges i have are speed and ball control. I have never really been great with dribbling or I was never the fastest player out there, so of course i had sometimnes trouble with the defenders that were faster then me.

My question is, if i could improve in this areas. If i could have a better dribbling ability and speed? or is it a limit? (Here we go....)

Is there really such a thing as talent or ability of a player? Why is it that one is really good at dribbling but the other one is worse at it but etter with passing? Is it because of their training? or is it because of their talent?

For example, if you put to players(no matter what sport), on the same amount of training, for the same amount of time...If there are two kids at the age of 8 and they go throught the same routin and be playing the same position, will they be on the same level? or one of them is going to be a superstar and the scond one will be playing is some low leauge in Asia?

What if there really is such a thing as talent. Where does it come from? Higher intelligence, better genetics? What reallu causes one to be better then the other in diffrent areas?

I hope you see where i'm going here...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Talent is not a myth, that is for sure. Where it comes from? Probably a number of factors that add together since the time the person is born.
    Genetics, cooridination, intuition, visual perception, and the list could go on. You could probably go so far as to say a kid might grow to develope talent for a specific sport from the way their house is arranged as a child growing up. I think that their are too many factors that are specific to each person to really nail down what exactly creates talent

jammergsxr is offline Member
    I believe there is a thing called natural.Some things just click for others.
    I have tried forever to play a guitar,I can play it but not at the level I want,why?It just doesn't click for me where as my buddy has played an equal number of years and plays Pro. in nashville.I on the other hand can rebuild and fabricate anything from steel my buddy just can't do it.
    hope i helped!

chinups Guest
    HARD WORK!!!!

But I do agree some are gifted but others work hard and they too achieve good results...So for me it is HARD WORK...

mammoth is offline Member
    I truly believe that if you work hard enough you can be a pro at anything. Talent is what makes a pro stand out amongst the crowd. Michael Jordan, Jeremy McGrath, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tony Hawk...Those guys all stood out because they had true talent for what they did.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    There is no reason why you can't improve. Like Mammoth said, you can always just train harder, and with time and experience it will come. HOWEVER, of course there are MANY factors at work like Pheedno said, and it is very complicated. There will ALWAYS, no matter wut, ALWAYS be someone out there who is better or faster then you are. But, that does NOT take anything away from you. As long as you train hard, work hard and play hard, then you can become a pro. You watch World Cup Soccer and you can see, there are even some players who you watch and think, what the hell was that? I could play better then he can! You also watch sports and always see how one person is better at one thing then another. One person is great at heading the ball, others have great speed, etc.... You just have to work hard, and see what it is you are really good at. Either you will have overall skills (good at all aspects of the game), OR, with time and hard work, you might just find out that you got one of the best curve balls in the world. You gotta do what you wanna do, and just do it. Don't think about someone out there being faster than you, and making that discourage you. Cuz there will ALWAYS be that one person. So don't worry, and good luck bro.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    wow, terinox...this are some very encouraging words from you...actually gave me some motivation and hope...you amazed me...although it wasnt the reason for the whole thread, i just had a discussion with my friend at work..need ed a diffrent opinion...

Originally posted by tolinka
    wow, terinox...this are some very encouraging words from you...actually gave me some motivation and hope...you amazed me...although it wasnt the reason for the whole thread, i just had a discussion with my friend at work..need ed a diffrent opinion...
    Thnx, that's good to hear

Originally posted by Peter North
    i agree with the whole hard work aspect of things buts lets face it no matter how hard some of us work we couldnt be ronnie coleman or any other IFBB pro for that matter. there is far more than hard work involved. i could spend the rest of my life attempting to be a pro baseball player and give every ounce of energy to that but could never make the 40 man regardless. theres much more than hard work that goes into a professional athlete. hell many pro players dont have near the intensity that guys trying to make it big have, its alot more to do with natural born ability than anything else, thats my .02 at least
    This in a way is true, BUT, Mr. North, if you did train really hard, you might not be a real PRO baseball player, but there is no reason you couldn't become good enough to make it to the pro leagues. Think about ANY sport out there, there will always be players who you hear so much about (i don't know about baseball, so let me give you hockey example instead, and even soccer), people like Gretzky, Yzerman, Hasek, Sundin, etc... and soccer too, Ronalda, these are names NO ONE will forget or not know, they've all been heard off. However, there are TONS of players on teams you have never even heard of who still contribute a lot to a teams success. You might just be one of those major league players who helps out a team, but, you just might never become MVP or hit 50 HR a year, still, you could help in your own way.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hard work and many factors such as Pheedno said is what talent is all about. If you look at the standouts in the pro's, these are the guys that lives and breathes what they do. These are the guys that put in the extra hours and the extra practice sessions. It all comes down to how badly you want it, now is a 5' guy ever gonna go pro in the NBA...doubtfull but than again who's to say he won't, remember old Spud Webb?

Thread Information