Goldberg vs Jericho....for real!

This is taken from Brett Harts official website and has been the "talk" of several wrestling rumour boards...

According to the poll on my website (www.brethart.com), some of your favourite columns I've written have to do with behind-the-scenes stories about wrestlers.

Here's one I heard just last week. It kind of reminds me of David and Goliath.

Making his way back into wrestling circles is Bill Goldberg, who is most famous for his incredible undefeated string of victories in the WCW. Not to mention he's the guy who accidentally kicked me in the head in December 1999, causing my career-ending concussion.

He kicked me much like a wild bucking horse and nearly knocked my head off my shoulders. I still, even now, have a tear in my neck muscle the size of a quarter that will never heal to prove it.

I was told by a former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, who coached Goldberg, if he had a whole team of Goldbergs, he'd win the Super Bowl every year.

People ask me if sometimes tensions in the ring ever carry over into serious fights in the dressing room. Not usually because nobody wants to fight and get hurt -- and not get paid for it.

But, now and again, sometimes the best wrestling matches take place in the dressing rooms or showers. One such incident happened a couple of weeks ago when Goldberg made some less than kindly remarks about young Chris Jericho.

Goldberg's wrestling ability often resembled the gorilla in those old Samsonite luggage commercials. He had a tendency to injure everybody he worked with and took his own publicity a little too seriously.

My sense about Jericho, a local Calgary kid, is he's always been easy-going with an even disposition.

The one little thing Goldberg didn't take into account is Jericho was trained in my dad's dungeon. Although I'm sure Jericho doesn't pretend to be a shooter, he does have a decent wrestling background.

As I understand it, Jericho approached Goldberg in the dressing room and asked him politely if he'd come out in the hallway where they could talk in private.

Heads turned when Bill suddenly broke into character, bizarrely growling like he does on TV.

Goldberg suddenly gripped Jericho by the throat in a furious rage. The little scrappy Calgarian, who is nowhere near Goldberg's size, nonchalantly wrestled him to the floor, clamping on a front face lock, which is every shooter's last resort and is comparable to having a bear trap clamped on your head.

For the next several minutes, Goldberg did everything he could to shake Jericho off but no doubt all those long sessions in the dungeon paid off for Jericho. He choked Goldberg outright on the dressing room floor, in front of everybody. A reality check for Goldberg that's been long overdue.

I know when I talk with my dad, he has a bottomless pit of these kinds of stories going back 50 years and I know he's gonna love adding this one to his repertoire.

Maybe Goldberg should come up to Calgary and spend some time with Stu in the dungeon learning how to wrestle.