Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member

Current/past Airborne Or Pj's

For any past or current Airborne or Para Jumpers... I am goign to "jump" school in October...any advice on preparation for the ankles, knees...or other high risk areas. As far as timed runs, I am on the money. So, since hind-sight is 20/20, what would you have done differently to prepare for school....for any of the phases? Thanks for any info -

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i had a buddy go through jump school.

for him he sais it was 90% mental and 10 percent body.

Spend some time training your mind to kick ass,take names and go for it.

you will do great! please keep us posted.

BUMP for info

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Bamma..Buddha's friend is right..Most of jump school is mental..The hardest jump you will make is the first and I don't care how tough you are..It's scary as hell!! Keep your fitness level very high because that will make your body more resilient and decrease your chances of injury..Although it has been a very long time since I went through, most of the time was spent on performing drills and learning techniques..Basic jump school is nothing terribly difficult other than the "Fear Factor"..Once you get over that then it is smoothe saling..

Freefall jump school is much more difficult because there are a lot more things that go into your jump calculation such as air temp, wind speed, gear load, landing area..These factors along with having to pull your own chute can be very nerve racking..You will be HALO and HAHO qualified once you complete this school and it is well worth it..Good Luck and keep us apprised..

What branch are you in and what is your MOS??

Doc M

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    About that first jump Doc....you remember yours? I thought they wer going to have to throw me out the door.

Bama- Good luck and Doc's right. Kepp us updated!

aanold is offline Junior Member
    Hehe...wish I could go back. I agree with everyone here on the mental vs. physical. The other main thing involved in preventing a injury is just perfect the technique (PLF) they teach you for landing. It prevents any one part of your body from taking too much impact on landing.

All my landings were actually so gradual that I could have landed directly on my feet with no problem. Except for the two where your fully loaded with Ruck and Rifle. I landed like a sack of potatoes but even then it was not that bad.

I went to Ft. Benning GA for Army Airborne. Only one guy I remember really getting hurt, this guy landed stiff legged and didn't do anything he had been taught the first two weeks. Do like they teach you and you'll have no problems.

I just did a quick search and found this site detailing the PLF, might good to check it out. You'll be way ahead of the game:

http://herbertholeman.com/para/units/jumpsch.php#PLF

Good Luck Bro!! Wish I could go with ya!!

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes Big T..My first jump I know I soiled my skivvies..I thought they were going to have to push me out the door..Then something came over me and I just said F*#@ IT!!!! Away I went..Shitty drawers and all!!

Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 05-06-2003 at 03:11 PM.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I still have a friend who's never landed in an airplane. He's jumped out of several, taken off in them too, just never landed in one. I here ya about crapping your drawers.....but once you get past that first one it's all cake walk.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I am cool as far as the "games" and "mental" part...I am just sweatting the knees and ankle injuries, possibly a bit too much..I guess that that will be addresses with the PLF's. I was at FT Benning earlier...allot of little dudes were there...not many of us "heavy guys"! thanks for all the info!

aanold is offline Junior Member
    Don't sweat it bro....just go there and kick some ass!!

Thread Information