Matt Foley is offline Member

do we live in a matrix?

saw this posted on another board

"A profeesor at Harvard said theres a 20 % chance we are living in a simulated universe liKe the Matrix. i really doubt but after wathcing the movie but it does gets you thinking."
    Last edited by Matt Foley; 05-17-2003 at 12:50 AM.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    highly unlikely...the thoughts that go through my brain are too fucked up to be generated by some computer.

i think that guesstimate is too high...maybe like 5% would be a better estimate.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Re: do we live in a matrix?

Originally posted by Matt Foley
    saw this posted on another board

"A profeesor at Harvard said theres a 20 % chance we are living in a simulated universe liKe the Matrix. i really doubt but after wathcing the movie but it does gets you thinking."
    Well, there is a 99% chance that most Harvard professors live in a matrix because it is all to obvious that that they are rarely living in the same reality that normal people are

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I very much doubt it no computer could have designed my asshole of a boss!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Billy Boy
    LOL.

Pain

maz
    maz is offline New Member
    if this is the matrix and this is a simulated universe then where are all the kung fu kicking and flying mutherfuckers?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Billy Boy

I don't think so...... If it was I would learn how to fly like Anderson did and unload my truck.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by maz
    if this is the matrix and this is a simulated universe then where are all the kung fu kicking and flying mutherfuckers?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly!! Hell i've tried to "break the rules" as Morpheus always says, but none of that crap ever works! It should be damn easy to get laid in the matrix too, but that's not happening either. I can't jump over buildings either, and I never saw the white rabbit, so I doubt it's a matrix.

What we really live in is inside a small toy which belongs to some 10 year old kid and this universe is his toy. And the boy who owns our ass belongs to a universe which is bigger then his, and it keeps going on and on and on and I dunno what the fuck I'm talking about, I really need to clean my room and do my Winny shot, bye.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    my heads way to messed up to be made by a computer lol

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I tried to stop bullets once, went straight true my hand

well look at i t this way.eash and every DNA strand is made by someone or something.who knows,god might just use a copmputer.

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    I actually have thought about this same concept. Like what if we're just someone's experiment in a petri dish. Something like when Lisa makes people in her petri dish and she becomes their god. It is not so far out if you think about it ...

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Re: do we live in a matrix?

Originally posted by Matt Foley
    There's also an 80% chance the same professor is still a virgin. The Matrix is the Star Trek of the new millenium. Sure, there are better fight scenes, but the obsession over fiction is the same. The professor's dad most likely had the blueprint of the Enterprise and a few authentic Captain Kirk uniforms. Twenty years from now that loser Keanu Reeves will be making big money at Matrix conventions.

jammergsxr is offline Member
    I personally think we are an aliens 8th grade science project.

Slypknot is offline Member
    Isn't there some lame ass religion based on this? That we're all sitting somewhere far off and living this life through synthetic means?

Originally posted by Slypknot
    Isn't there some lame ass religion based on this? That we're all sitting somewhere far off and living this life through synthetic means?
    plz tell me your kidding

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Slypknot
    If by Synthetic you mean Materialisitc, then you are right on the spot.
    The Buddahist, Hinduism and Kabbalah(Kabbalah considered to be science by the followers) believe that this world is driven by our own ego and will to recieve pleasure from materialistic things. They believe that life is a struggle, we face many difficulties in life, and by going through pain and suffery that is cause by out own ego we get closer to the Higher Power(you can call it god if you want), we get closer to the
    second world, the spiritual world.

You can see the similarities between the religions and the movies plot.
    The idea or metaphor in this movie of the humans being minded by a higher power has to do with the Gnostic thought that was thrown and is a significant part of this movies.

That the blind God of Gnostic belief has trapped us in this world and only through gnosis (knowing) and Christ (neo) can we escape, not just Earth (Matrix), but the false heaven the Blind God (architect) has created for us (Zion) and that their is a higher order of reality that is free of pain and suffering - that is the motivation to escape the prison

littlearnold1069 is offline New Member
    something i noticed about some of the replies in this thread....someone said...i tried to stop bullets....if you will remember, not the average individual in the movie the matrix could stop bullets....just neo....not saying your average, but you get what im saying..also someone else mentioned trying to break the rules...etc....there were only a few characters in the movie that could do that..once again, not your normal every day dudes....just the special ones...peace

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Keep this discusussion up.

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    its very possible. think about it. in the entire span of the history of the universe, whatever that may be (as an objective fact) there will be a computer created by some race or culture that will be capable of simulating or even creating new worlds. there is a high liklihood that our world is something akin to a simulated video game played by a 15 year old kid in the next universe up.

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin

Re: Re: do we live in a matrix?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EXCESS
    There's also an 80% chance the same professor is still a virgin. The Matrix is the Star Trek of the new millenium. Sure, there are better fight scenes, but the obsession over fiction is the same. The professor's dad most likely had the blueprint of the Enterprise and a few authentic Captain Kirk uniforms. Twenty years from now that loser Keanu Reeves will be making big money at Matrix conventions. [/QUOTE

i have to respectfully disagree here bro. this discussion is about philosophy, not the latest developments in laser gun technology. you'll notice that we're using the matrix as the an illustration of a philosophical idea. we're not discussing how cool the new machines look.

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    no

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Re: Re: do we live in a matrix?

Originally posted by monstercojones
    i have to respectfully disagree here bro. this discussion is about philosophy, not the latest developments in laser gun technology. you'll notice that we're using the matrix as the an illustration of a philosophical idea. we're not discussing how cool the new machines look.
    Actually, I was mostly comparing the professor to a Star Trek fan. C'mon seriously, where does he come up with that idea, let alone the 20% figure?

possibility,yes.

probability,NO.

bigfunk is offline New Member
    What you experience as being the "real" world is in fact a simulation created by your brain in an attempt to understand and put logic into the overwealming flow of input that hits you at every given moment. Electric signals, vibrations (and so on) are automaticly interpreted and selected by you, and it is this personal interperation that makes up the way you experience the world- not nessecerally the world itself..

I think that if you can learn to change that system of interperation, you can infact get to the point where you make up your own world.

Itīs called psycosis i think!

Power-BB is offline Associate Member

Re: Re: do we live in a matrix?

Originally posted by EXCESS
    There's also an 80% chance the same professor is still a virgin.

Farmer is offline Member
    If were in a matrix then they need to upgrade, too many dumbasses running with 386 DX's lol

Peace

Farmer

Thread Information