Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Annika Sorrenstam

This is the statement I made last month before the Masters "Annika Sorenstam will prove me right next month when, for the first time ever, she (obviously a woman) will play in a mens PGA Tournament, and trust me, she will do exceptionally well." After yesterdays first round, she sits at +1, 7 strokes off the lead. Only poor putting kept her from walking away at -1 or -2. She is on the cusp of the projected cut and with a solid round today could make the cut. She is also currently 1 stroke ahead fo Sergio Garcia. She hit 14 of 18 fairways off the tee yesterday and that puts her driving accuracy in the top 10 on the PGA tour.

GO ANNIKA!!!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I thought she hit 13 of 14 fairways (even better). The other 4 holes were par 3's, so the fairways don't apply to PGA stats.

Is this a report on Annika Sorenstam or the start of a debate on women playing with men? Ok, let me start...

I'm cheering for her now, but I don't agree with ANY golfer playing a PGA event without qualifying the same way the rest of the golfers qualify. Some of these guys have worked their asses off and spent time living out of their cars while playing on qualifier tours. Women in the PGA is good, but I'd rather see them make a rule that allows the top 5 LPGA players exempt for a certain number of PGA events. But like I said, now that she's playing I'll cheer for her to do well.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Pete, I haven't seen any highlights or updates but I'm happy she's doing well. I see nothing wrong with women playing golf with the men. If they can hold their own then give them a break and let em' play the damn game. If she makes the cut, that alone, says a lot in itself and with all the media following her every move. I hit a pretty good game and I choke in front of a small group.

I'm withn you Bro; GO ANNIKA!

BTW to you play the game?

Later,
    Jugg

My bad Excess, your right on the fairway stat. I'm oretty sure this is a one time event. Annika herself admitted that she doesn't have the driving distance to be competitive with the PGA's best. The Colinial suits her well and she still is appraoching greens with high woods and low irons...meaning the ball is moving fast with a low trajectory. He skill, finese and nerves are on par (no pun intended) with the top players in the world...male and female, but there is definately a difference in the two tours. That is why things will stay as they are.

If this event brings more publicity to womens golf that's great and well deserved. Then the female pros can hopefully starting making more money if viewership increase...the fans seemed to love Annika yesterday. The men make more money simply because the men bring in the viewers and sponsors...it's that simple. Womens Tennis earnings are on par with mens because viewer ship and sponship is on par.

mammoth is offline Member
    Hey Pete...I am a neophyte when it comes to golf so answer me this. Isn't the fairway the field between the tee and surroundung the green minus the sand traps and water holes? So why is it surprising that she hit 13 out of 14 fairways. I don't watch golf, but I would think that the pros should be able to stay on the fairway with every shot. Like I said though I don't know squat about golf though. Just curious as to what the 13 out of 14 fairways actually meant?!

Also, I was also curious as to why you have Clay Aiken's photo as your Avatar?

Mammoth, yes you are correct when describing the fairway. But the reality is it is often very difficult to stay on the fairway aff the tee because the longer the club the less control there is. It is also hard to adjust for small ridges and valleys as well as dog legs (bends in the course) left or right. Even if the ball comes to rest in the second or third cut it is considered off the fairway.

I was wondering when somebody was going to comment on my avatar

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Pete235

I was wondering when somebody was going to comment on my avatar
    Dude is that Ryan Seacrest from American Idol?

I don't think that the LPGA and the PGA should play with each other. You don't see WNBA playing with NBA. There are two tours for a reason. I think by letting her play in this tournament was a way for the Colonial to save there ass. I'm not a sexist in any way....I just think shit like this is just a publicity stunt. Just becasue she is blowing up on the LPGA they have to bring on to the PGA. You don't see Tiger moving to another tour. Shit, I think we should allow Tiger to play a tournament with the ladies over at the LPGA...I guarantee the women will bitch until the last put is sunk....and then....and shit if they are all on their time of the month...good fuckin night.

In my opinion which we're all intitled to....I think this is bullshit. Nothing against Annika, she is a GREAT golfer. I think that by putting a women on the PGA tour is a media stunt. Who knows what's going to happen now....the lady at the Masters must be off her rocker on this....next up MASTERS......gimme a break!

Matt Foley is offline Member
    funny how the man cannot play on the wonens tour.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Butch
    I don't think that the LPGA and the PGA should play with each other. You don't see WNBA playing with NBA.
    I would argue that this is because it would be simply IMPOSSIBLE for the best women in this regard to even REMOTELY compete. In golf, however, as strength, speed, explosiveness and physical size are not nearly as essential as they might be in other sports (basketball for example), I think that the best women (as is being exemplified this week) will, ultimately, be able to compete with the best men.

Originally posted by BigGreen

I would argue that this is because it would be simply IMPOSSIBLE for the best women in this regard to even REMOTELY compete. In golf, however, as strength, speed, explosiveness and physical size are not nearly as essential as they might be in other sports (basketball for example), I think that the best women (as is being exemplified this week) will, ultimately, be able to compete with the best men.
    NEVER happen!!and thats because of the distance in tees.annica can make the fairways where as most of the women on the tour cannot.im not sure of the average difference in distance but annica is an exception,she hits the ball furthur than almost any woman and can still hardly make some fairways.there is a HUGE difference in the score of the male pro golfer vs the female pro golfer even with the handicap.

luckily....we know that annica is trying this for her own personal reasons,to better her game and not to compete with the men.she knows this

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    There is an LPGA tour set up for a reason, so women can play against each other. Sorenstam took a spot from some other male golfer, who has been working his ass off to make the cut. I think it is ridiculous that a women is playing on the men's tour, no matter how good she is. After all:

Gentlemen
    Only
    Ladies
    Forbidden

I just found out that there is a clause in the LPGA book that says only a NATURAL BORN FEMALE can play on the LPGA. However, being that the PGA is so rich in history...they do not have a clause like that. If we did now...oh my god, men cover your nuts because the women are going to go ape shit.

I am an addicted golfer have been most of my life. I have played with lots of women and I have really enjoyed their company. However, i watched the tounament coverage today and I thought it was aboslute bullshit....all they did was show her round. She was (E) and they still showed her. I was furious....there were other players out there that have worked there ass off to be or even get a shot at being on TV. They need sponsors...sponsors watch TV....how can they get on TV when all they show is a girl who should not be there in the first place. Besides, for those male players out there...this is there shot at making a name while the Tiger is sleeping. But no, they can't because some fucker desided it would be great to have a women play...COMPLETE BULLSHIT.....

Okay sorry....I needed to vent....I'm cool now!

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Butch,
    I can see your point of view but you could look at it another way. I know many people watched the first and second round of the Colonial simply to see how she did. Every major news and sports show had a segment on it which never would have happened without her participation. Many golfers probably got more exposure because she was in it then they normally would have even if it was in her shadow.

Originally posted by Rickson
    Butch,
    I can see your point of view but you could look at it another way. I know many people watched the first and second round of the Colonial simply to see how she did. Every major news and sports show had a segment on it which never would have happened without her participation. Many golfers probably got more exposure because she was in it then they normally would have even if it was in her shadow.
    Good point bro....but when i watched it today they never showed the other guys in her group...I'm really sorry to say this but I find this whole thing appauling....IMHO....I do apologize for those who think I am sexist I am not...I am just standing up for something I believe should be kept fair...and that is they have theirs and we have ours (PGA speaking). We did good this fair along..why change it now?

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If it wasn't for that clause in lpga, i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of men went to play for the lpga because there are alot of guys not making any money.

I think she is making the fairway so much because she is playing very conservatively, which is fine, but she will never win any tournaments if she continues to play conservatively in the pga.

Pat Buchanan was talking about her on his show (gotta love Pat) and he was absolutely laughing his ass off because the best women golfer in the world is 1 over par.

there is a way for a man to play in the LPGA.that is with a sponsors exemption,only.funny how that has not happened to this date,the women would be outraged.

Originally posted by Matt Foley
    there is a way for a man to play in the LPGA.that is with a sponsors exemption,only.funny how that has not happened to this date,the women would be outraged.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member
    First, I am an admitted hacker. That said, some of you that are bashing a woman playing on the mens tour are probably missing the point. First, no male golfer would want to play on the womens tour for, if anything, pride reasons. Same with basketball, soccer, or any other womans sport that a man could participate in. The man who decided to play in womens sports would be ostracized and would bring nothing but negative media coverage to the event. Men will never play womens sports and why would they want to (money on the LPGA has nothing on the mens tour even at the lower places).

Women who can compete with men at any sport on the professional level I say let them play. Why would any athlete not want to compete against the best, male or female. That is the point. Anika wants to compete against the best. Don't over-analyze and don't be upset that a woman was "allowed" to compete with the men. It is simply an athlete wanting to play with the best and who has crushed most of her female competitors.

For the nay sayers she missed the cut. On this day she could not compete. Do not think for a second that there will not be women in the future competing with men at the professional level. This is only the beginning. Instead of defending why men should stay with men and women with women in sports start looking at the competitive aspect and demand the best play with the best regardless of sex. Who gives a damn as long as the best athletes are on the playing surface.

JMO

OC
    Oc
    Last edited by Ocnorb36; 05-23-2003 at 11:52 PM.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Who cares? Itīs not a sport.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by palme
    ass

Originally posted by palme
    It doesn't seem like much of a sport when you look at Jesper Parnevik's tight clothes on his 120 pound body, but maybe that's just because he's from Sweden.

Golf is a sport.

Originally posted by EXCESS
    It doesn't seem like much of a sport when you look at Jesper Parnevik's tight clothes on his 120 pound body, but maybe that's just because he's from Sweden.

Golf is a sport.
    LOL Jesper is the biggest wimp out there. Hate that fucking upperclass geek.

Golf is not a sport! I can not stress this enough!

Sport - Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

That's the definition. I know your argument is probably 'golf isn't physical', but it totally is. Slight differences in physical movements affect the entire shot. A man half your size with a great swing can hit the ball twice as far as you with a bad swing. You're wrong!

chess is also considered a sport!

Then why isnt masturbating considered a sport? FI would be the champ hands down

And golf is only played beacause of the big money prices and amateurs think they can become a PGA pro.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    Sport - Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Is cheerleading a sport?
    Is fishing a sport?
    Is bowling a sport?
    If you are a jockey, does that make you an athlete?
    Is Magic(the old card game) a sport? (I actually saw a Magic tournament on ESPN quite a while back)
    Is ping pong a sport?

I could go on and on, the term sport is used so loosely it almost doesn't have any validity anymore.

Originally posted by saboudian
    Is cheerleading a sport?
    Is fishing a sport?
    Is bowling a sport?
    If you are a jockey, does that make you an athlete?
    Is Magic(the old card game) a sport? (I actually saw a Magic tournament on ESPN quite a while back)
    Is ping pong a sport?

I could go on and on, the term sport is used so loosely it almost doesn't have any validity anymore.
    I'd consider all of those sports, except for the card game. I think some people wouldn't consider those 'sports' because they feel the need to compare them to rough sports. If that's the approach we're taking, that means Saturn, Hyundai, and Kia aren't cars because they're wuss-mobiles.

Thread Information