47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular T-Shirt

17 36.17%
  • Sleeveless or Tank

30 63.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    daem is offline Anabolic Member

regular shirt vs. sleeveless shirt

most of my buddies think that dudes who walk around the gym in sleeveless tops or muscleshirts are trying to flaunt their appearance and everything...i tell them that not only do i look good when working out, but i stay cooler and have less fabric to get in my way with presses, etc. what are your opinions?

btw tanktop counts as sleeveless

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Tank for sure. But, I am not in the gym to impress anyone but myself - and I wear tanks to see what it is that I am doing and the progress I am making. For example, doing curls - I like to watch my form and watch the biceps swell up... better focus for me. I couldn't imagine not seeing my system doing the work but rather a piece of clothing - I also do not wear walkmans, head gear, or the extras. Just wraps, straps, shorts, and tank... (shoes, boxers, and all the other stuff too - for the smart asses ) nothing extra to get in the way of my focus.

However, if you workout in a cold gym - tell them to turn up the heat, otherwise it is better to wear warm clothes - one reason being a greater growth hormone response from the training session.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I ususally wear regular shirts, but if it's really hot I'll wear a sleevless shirt.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Sleevless all the way. It's all psychological. Makes me feel big, and better. And of course, that is why there are so many mirrors in the gym, cuz like Warrior said, you gotta watch what you are doing. Sometimes like Leg days, i'll wear normal t-shirt. But mostly the sleevless.

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    I'm with Warrior and Terinox...helps to see the muscle I am working. Unlike War, though, I prefer to use a walkman. Crankin' the tunes seems to really fire up my workouts.
    -zzo

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'm against all tank(and other skimpy outfit) wearers in the gym but not for the reason most people are. I think the more people cover up the better because so many inconsiderate bastards and bastardettes don't wipe up their sweat pools after they leave a bech or machine. Obviously this is not a problem with considerate gym goers who wipe up after they use equipment.

BIG-G is offline Banned
    in all my years ive always wore a tank top. Even at 175lb i wear em cause its the most comphy, plus i gotta see the muscles workin! And im also one of those sweaty bastards, but i have always used sweat towels just like i use gloves or a back brace!

T-Shirts here...

Tank tops and other sleeveless shirts are banned at my gym.

Red

adaptations is offline Member
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    T-Shirts here...

Tank tops and other sleeveless shirts are banned at my gym.

Red
    Find a new gym!!!!

mammoth is offline Member
    During the winter I wear plain T-shirts but during the summer its all sleeveless. It's all about comfort for me. Anything that makes me uncomfortable detracts from my concentration. If something bothers me I always have to take care of it immediately. That is why comfort is so important to me! I am also a vain mofo and not afraid to admit it!

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Fuc those guys who think that shit!! I dont go to the gym to impress anybody!! It is ususally the guys who make comments like that who are the ones who stand around and take up space wondering wtf there going to do next or what is the guy next to him lifting. I wear a wife beater, sleeveless, and on the occasion I wear a thermal underware shit if it is cold, also I wear regular shits but i prefer the wife beater and the sleeveless cause there is less friction invloved. Tell those buddies of yours to go join vic tannys while you go to the gym and grow!!
    Last edited by abstrack; 03-05-2003 at 01:16 PM.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    wow, i never thought of it like that guys....i train in a basketball jersey ( old NC Stackhouse ) and a couple other tshirts with the sleeves ripped off...lol, they just get in my way! last thing i wanna worry about is sleeves

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I workout in a dungeon, not a gym so the temp outside is the temp in there. I wear what accomodates the temp

I live in Houston so
    Winter- 45-65 degrees
    Summer-95-105

Originally posted by abstrack
    Fuc those guys who think that shit!! I dont go to the gym to impress anybody!! It is ususally the guys who make comments like that who are the ones who stand around and take up space wondering wtf there going to do next what is the guy next to him lifting. I wear a wife beater, sleeveless, and on the occasion I wear a thermal underware shit if it is cold, also I wear regular shits but i prefer the wife beater and the sleeveless cause there is less friction invloved. Tell those buddies of your to go join vic tannys while you go to the gym and grow!!
    What comment were you referring to? Just wondering?

Chach is offline Associate Member
    BRO....tank top for sure, i think if you got it and erned it why not show it off a little....but i always wear a sweatshirt first and then when i start to sweat like a pig it comes off and its on baby!!!

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Anyone ever see guys in your gym that wear no shirt at all? We have a few of them at the school gym where I work out.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Originally posted by MBaraso
    Anyone ever see guys in your gym that wear no shirt at all? We have a few of them at the school gym where I work out.
    That is stupid! You should get them in trouble. Unless it is allowed at your gym. It's not allowed in our gym, although believe it or not, there was this one guy who had intentionally ripped up is shirt SO much, that it was barely a t-shirt. It was like two pieces of thread going across his chest in an X. It was gonna tear off ANY second, I mean you could see his whole upper body, it was quite funny! However, only thing I can say tho is the guy was HUGE so no one will fuck with him.

??i]Originally posted by mammoth [/i]

[/QUOTE]

I think we are in the same thread??
    [B]
    ""most of my buddies think that dudes who walk around the gym in sleeveless tops or muscleshirts are trying to flaunt their appearance and everything.."

Maybe I miss understood something??
    abstrack@protonmail.com

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    i wear whatever to the gym... i'll just grab a t-shirt... i have a couple sleeveless and a couple normal ones... what ever one i grab i guess... i hate seeing the guys at the gym who look like they never change their gym clothes... or always have the same style. This one dude at my gym always wears a skin tight tank top and orange pants... Its funny... but change your freakin clothes once and a while

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    I get a laugh out of the guys that juice & think their huge with their tiny tanks & 16 inch arms. You know the ones that walk around with that intense look like their hard core or something. Those guys should definately wear sleeves, but they are so dillusional they think they're huge. Personally, I wear sleeves with a tank under it. I take the T-shirt off when i get too hot & then go sleeveless.

Originally posted by abstrack
    [B]??i]Originally posted by mammoth [/i]

""most of my buddies think that dudes who walk around the gym in sleeveless tops or muscleshirts are trying to flaunt their appearance and everything.."

[/QUOTE]

You didn't misunderstand, I am just in a fog! For some reason I can't think straight today! I just started my cycle so I hope thats it! Thanks!!

Originally posted by mammoth

You didn't misunderstand, I am just in a fog! For some reason I can't think straight today! I just started my cycle so I hope thats it! Thanks!!
    [/QUOTE]

it's all good!! For a minute there you had me worried i was in some other dimension replying to something else on my mind,
    Last edited by abstrack; 03-05-2003 at 01:48 PM.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Hehe, I always wear a t-shirt...there is too much "politics" involved with tank tops. Let me explain: Some guys wear tank tops because they are freakin' huge and they want to check out their muscles. Then, there's always some douchebag that's wearing a wife-beater with 12" arms walking around like he thinks he's huge (invisible watermelons stuck under their arms, that kind of thing). When I see people like that, I think "why in the hell are they wearing tank tops? Scrawny-ass people shouldn't wear tank-tops." So, when I'm in the gym, I don't want huge-ass people thinking the same thing about me. So, I just wear t-shirts to avoid the potential to have my mind swirling about the implications of going sleeveless.

A little over-analysis there, perhaps?

Originally posted by SwoleDiesel662
    I get a laugh out of the guys that juice & think their huge with their tiny tanks & 16 inch arms. You know the ones that walk around with that intense look like their hard core or something. Those guys should definately wear sleeves, but they are so dillusional they think they're huge. Personally, I wear sleeves with a tank under it. I take the T-shirt off when i get too hot & then go sleeveless.

Well here we go, by no means to flame ya bro but if I guys wears something to make him comfortable than so be it!! If there juicing or not who cares??right!! If ther walking around acting like badasses or starting shit than it is a different story but I really do not see how people percept walking around thinking there huge??

What is it they actually do that displays this??

There is nothing wrong with anybody that goes to the gym skinny, fat, big, small, women, man, boy, girl, old, young that displays intensity in there training!! I am all for those people who have some kind of drive to get them to there goals which ever it might be??? loose weight-build muscle-increase endurance--etc...

If a person is making a extreme scene that takes away from somebodys workout then maybe the situation is different but to me it seems your statement supports what deam's friends are saying!!

If this is the case as in deam's boys than this is a biased statement based on perception and not facts! which is judgemental! You looking at somebody from the outside and making a judgement on them from what you see them wearing, why not go up to them and ask them why they were a skiiny a-shirt or sleeveless shirt??? You might find that some think it keeps them cooler or they feel less restricted in there clothes or like warrior said they might want to be able to concentrate on ther body parts?? Also about the 16" arms statement--everybody has to start some where!! we all just don't wake up one day with 18" guns or 17" guns or 21" guns we all work to gain size and we must have some place to start! Am i right??? If you have 18" arms than you strive for 19" or if you squat is 350 max you shoot for 400 or 500 but it is goals nothing to laugh about and pass judgement on to somebody about!!

Really!! I wonder if Arnold or Ronnie or Dorian or any of the greats go around laughing at guys smaller than them thinking what there wearing or how they are working out is a joke???
    Last edited by abstrack; 03-05-2003 at 01:37 PM.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I agree with abstract! I once was that puny little guy who was proud of what I had even though I didn't measure up to all the vets in the gym. All I got from those guys was encouragement. As a matter of fact I was too embarrased to wear a tank to the gym until a big-guy told me that appearance can help you in a workout session. Ever since then, I have worn tanks or sleeveless in the gym as long as it is not too cold. I get a certain mental motivation from seeing my muscles flex. We should encourage people to train with intensity. People who sit back and make fun of people are typically the ones who are lacking. Everybody is different and we should not disrespect people based on looks!

Originally posted by Strut99GT
    Hehe, I always wear a t-shirt...there is too much "politics" involved with tank tops. Let me explain: Some guys wear tank tops because they are freakin' huge and they want to check out their muscles. Then, there's always some douchebag that's wearing a wife-beater with 12" arms walking around like he thinks he's huge (invisible watermelons stuck under their arms, that kind of thing). When I see people like that, I think "why in the hell are they wearing tank tops? Scrawny-ass people shouldn't wear tank-tops." So, when I'm in the gym, I don't want huge-ass people thinking the same thing about me. So, I just wear t-shirts to avoid the potential to have my mind swirling about the implications of going sleeveless.

A little over-analysis there, perhaps?
    You worry to much about what other people think!! who cares!! be your self not a sheep and follow the flock.

Instead of walking down the same path as the person in front of you, make a change and walk your own road!!
    abstrack@protonmail.com

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i think that the jealousy aspect of human nature has alot to do with what we perceive while we are in the gym, especially with clothing. i think most of us occasionally see someone who completely makes us double take because of sheer size or because we don't approve of their ensemble. when you criticize someone for what they choose to wear that borders on the line of superiority or jealousy. i know a few guys at my current gym that wear the most skintight smallest shirt they can find to workout in, but that just is begging for people to comment behind your own back. to each his own because frankly what other people wear doesn't affect me or my workout in the least. if someone came in wearing a clownsuit i would laugh and then keep lifting. everyone has their own levels of comfort.

Originally posted by daem
    i think that the jealousy aspect of human nature has alot to do with what we perceive while we are in the gym, especially with clothing. i think most of us occasionally see someone who completely makes us double take because of sheer size or because we don't approve of their ensemble. when you criticize someone for what they choose to wear that borders on the line of superiority or jealousy. i know a few guys at my current gym that wear the most skintight smallest shirt they can find to workout in, but that just is begging for people to comment behind your own back. to each his own because frankly what other people wear doesn't affect me or my workout in the least. if someone came in wearing a clownsuit i would laugh and then keep lifting. everyone has their own levels of comfort.
    AGREED!!
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Abstrack, you've never seen those idiots that walk around like they have imaginary watermelons under their arms? They think they need to walk sideways between equipment because they think they're so huge. I am amazed that you haven't seen these types thinking that they are huge. I didn't say there is anything intrinsically wrong with it, it just makes me chuckle. They are dillusional.

One guy who fits the discription of which I am referring did start something, and does walk around acting like a badass. He said something disrespectful to a 350 pound former football player, to which the 350 pounder responded, "shut the f**k up before I fold you in half & throw you out the front door." I have more instances to which I can make reference to, however I initially considered it unconscionable to bring intricate details to everyones attention. My apoligies to all for the oversight pertaining to the matter. I hope this satisfies your statement, "what is it exactly they do that display this"

I made no reference to someone who trains intensely. I did, however, make reference to "ones that walk around with that intense look".

I definately have no problems with someone with 16" arms, but guys with 16" arms who have been juicing for a while are people I take issue with. They usually do not have knowledge of proper nutrition and proper exercise.

I've seen Ronnie workout in person & he does not walk around like a cocky hard ass, so what does that mean?

Next time I'll say 12" arms, that seems to be the most accepted arm size to take discrepency with someone. More politically correct I guess. I guess 16" arms strikes a nerve.

like the daem said about the clown suit, I laugh & keep lifting. Abstrack, you need to chill.

Yo Abstrack, here is a quote from Daem, the guy you agree so much with, check out number 3.

5 - newbs using an incline bench for a 90 degree bench seat to curl when there is one readily available 2 feet away...gimme my fucking incline for db presses

4 - the 'expert' bodybuilder that has a huge chest and arms but has a terrible body otherwise doling out free advice to rookies just because he thinks he is huge

3 - teenage dudes who wear wifebeaters to lift in so they can showcase their 12 inch brad pitt like guns

2 - the fat naked dude in the locker room who feels it is his business to make everyone aware of the fact he is naked...the guy literally stays naked in the locker room for 15-20 minutes at a time...put on some clothes

1 - people leaving multiple plates on a bar that i need to use for something other than they just used it for...put your weights away you lazy piece of shit

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Abstrack, you've never seen those idiots that walk around like they have imaginary watermelons under their arms? They think they need to walk sideways between equipment because they think they're so huge.
    We had a guy in a gym I worked out at last year who had ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome). He was an older man that was either new to weights or getting back to it after many years of staying away. But to really add to his ILS - he would grunt all the time! Wether he was curling some 20's or getting a drink from the fountain... constantly grunting

haha, ILS, I think that's my favorite quote lately. We have one guy that not only has ILS, but he puts his arms out forward, kinda like he's wearing a bench shirt, I've nicknamed him Frankendouche for his similiar walk to the monster of Dr. Frankenstien. I also like the expression, out of work bagage handlers. I love the guy who grunts when he gets a drink, I'm picturing him like flexing & bending over to get a drink, hilarious. He probably begins making facial expressions before he lifts.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Tank or sleevles... hey warrior i never heard of ILS i always said ELS (exaggerated lat syndrome)

Yo Abstrack, here is a quote from Daem, the guy you agree so much with, check out number 3.

5 - newbs using an incline bench for a 90 degree bench seat to curl when there is one readily available 2 feet away...gimme my fucking incline for db presses

4 - the 'expert' bodybuilder that has a huge chest and arms but has a terrible body otherwise doling out free advice to rookies just because he thinks he is huge

3 - teenage dudes who wear wifebeaters to lift in so they can showcase their 12 inch brad pitt like guns

2 - the fat naked dude in the locker room who feels it is his business to make everyone aware of the fact he is naked...the guy literally stays naked in the locker room for 15-20 minutes at a time...put on some clothes

1 - people leaving multiple plates on a bar that i need to use for something other than they just used it for...put your weights away you lazy piece of shit
    You need to chill!--Take this direct point up with deam not me-what it is your trying to prove to me here, if deam contradicts himself then make it a point to show this to him, reallly I dont care.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Abstrack, you've never seen those idiots that walk around like they have imaginary watermelons under their arms? They think they need to walk sideways between equipment because they think they're so huge. I am amazed that you haven't seen these types thinking that they are huge. I didn't say there is anything intrinsically wrong with it, it just makes me chuckle. They are dillusional.

One guy who fits the discription of which I am referring did start something, and does walk around acting like a badass. He said something disrespectful to a 350 pound former football player, to which the 350 pounder responded, "shut the f**k up before I fold you in half & throw you out the front door." I have more instances to which I can make reference to, however I initially considered it unconscionable to bring intricate details to everyones attention. My apoligies to all for the oversight pertaining to the matter. I hope this satisfies your statement, "what is it exactly they do that display this"

I made no reference to someone who trains intensely. I did, however, make reference to "ones that walk around with that intense look".

I definately have no problems with someone with 16" arms, but guys with 16" arms who have been juicing for a while are people I take issue with. They usually do not have knowledge of proper nutrition and proper exercise.

I've seen Ronnie workout in person & he does not walk around like a cocky hard ass, so what does that mean?

Next time I'll say 12" arms, that seems to be the most accepted arm size to take discrepency with someone. More politically correct I guess. I guess 16" arms strikes a nerve.
    1--sorry have not seen those guys and if they are there, i do not pay attention, half the time I look at the floor the other half of the time I am looking at what i am doing.

2.As for juicing and smalll arms well that goes to say with anything, there are alot out there that think AS is the answer and not proper dieting. But I do not care while they ignore advice and continue to stay the same size, I will slowly walk by and grow. Needless to say again, who cares!! I try not to occupy my mind with such ignorance or stupidity.

3.Never said he does walk around like a badass!! point was You cant let a few bad apples spoil the barrel and make judgement based on perception. Thats like saying-- YOu have seen a guy in a red shirt steal from the store now all guys who were red shirts steal. You basing your opinion on perception.

4. 16" or 15" or 13" what ever--No nerve was struk it it the simple fact that we all have some point to start--right??? we dont wake up one morning with the size we would like??

5. I really do not care what people where, do, act , intensity look or act( whatever to the 3rd degree) <<If it gets them from point A to point B than go for it!! I am in there for myself. I guess I have seen theses things you describe with people perception they looks bigger or the act badder but who cares!! it happens all the time

It is like the guy who thinks he is a bad ass but there is someone else out there you dont know that can kick your ass so why pass judgement on perception???? let the person go on being

Is this chill for you, I was expressing my self ;i though we could do that??
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Abstrack, I think everyone else has seen these guys except you which probably means that you ARE one of these guys. These things don't occupy my mind, I said it gives me a laugh. Also, it's not a big deal to me, except for the fact you asked for examples like I was making shit up or something. You are the one who took issue with my comment, however, it is possible that i missunderstood what you were trying to say. I do care if people are juicing that don't know about diet & exercise because that is a definate indicator that the moron didn't take the time to study up on proper steroid use , which can be very dangerous.

Like this one comedian said, "There is always one person at work that's on the verge of getting his arse kicked, if you don't know who it is, it's probably you."

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

if you must know

i just put little pasties on my nips in the gym and go shirtless

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

if you must know

i just put little pasties on my nips in the gym and go shirtless i use to wear the ones w/ the tassles, but i kept getting solicited as a prostitute.i mean sure , the $$ was good for awhile, but i'm there to work out.

Abstrack, I think everyone else has seen these guys except you which probably means that you ARE one of these guys. These things don't occupy my mind, I said it gives me a laugh. Also, it's not a big deal to me, except for the fact you asked for examples like I was making shit up or something. You are the one who took issue with my comment, however, it is possible that i missunderstood what you were trying to say. I do care if people are juicing that don't know about diet & exercise because that is a definate indicator that the moron didn't take the time to study up on proper steroid use , which can be very dangerous.

Like this one comedian said, "There is always one person at work that's on the verge of getting his arse kicked, if you don't know who it is, it's probably you."
    Really I am not one of these guys and i already told you this, if you can read what I said: i wear shirts ,sleevless, a-shirts, and long sleeve thermal shirts. Never said you were making shit up if you read I ask how do you see this?? right-- I even told you that I could not see the point and ask you?? right?? Never took a issue to anything but the blunt comment you made based on a biased perception and if you simply read and thread we all make comments based on a open discussion<< the 1000$ word here is discussion not issues. How could I be one of these guys at the gym?? I already told you I spend half the time looking at the ground and the other half working out so I do not have to speak or be in anybodys shit!! did you not read this???

like one person said

"Ya shouldn't throw stones if ya live in a glass house,
    and if ya got a glass jaw, u should watch your mouth" - 50 Cent

what was the point of your last quote??? absolutley nothing!!
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information