KeyMastur is offline VET

Computer components..

ok, so i'm looking online at a new Sony VAIO laptop (this is important, so keep in mind). anyways, they have one with a 2.4 Ghz processor, but if you stick a 1.7 in there, you save like 710 bucks.

now what i'm wondering is, are laptop processors the same size as a desktop (depending on the socket) ?? cause what i'm thinkin is i can just put the 1.7 in there, and then buy a 2.4 from an online retailer and replace it. any thoughts on this ???

(i know it'll fuck up warranty, but i'm not worried about that)

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    No the proc housing itself is entirely different. As well laptop procs are different than desktop procs in that they are designed to run much cooler than desktop cpus (you don't want your laptop catching on fire on your lap in a meeting )
    Just get the 1.7, unless you are running some major cycle hogging apps you won't really notice the jump from 1.7 to 2.4 in a laptop. JMHO
    Hope that helps.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Originally posted by JasonNew-b
    No the proc housing itself is entirely different. As well laptop procs are different than desktop procs in that they are designed to run much cooler than desktop cpus (you don't want your laptop catching on fire on your lap in a meeting )
    Just get the 1.7, unless you are running some major cycle hogging apps you won't really notice the jump from 1.7 to 2.4 in a laptop. JMHO
    Hope that helps.
    I second that.

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    Unless you're doing multimedia, video editing or really high end graphics, like 3D animation stuff, you won't really need the speed. If had to upgrade anything, I'd just get more RAM. 1GB of Ram will do you great.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    the clock speed on the processor is negligible past 1-1.5 ghz when RAM is increased significantly, even on a laptop.

spend some of the cash you would have on the faster processor to double your RAM and you will have a system that runs much more efficiently when multitasking.

Thread Information