FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member

Chemistry Majors and Chemistry Experts.

I plan on double majoring and chemistry being one of my studies. I am about to take my second chemistry course and am wondering if there are any good books out there that really give you an in depth understanding? I am pretty much beginning in this field so something that is paced and really good for beginner's

flexgolf is offline Member
    any book from jim glanville....he makes text books under contract of a really good and famous editor which i cant remember right now. i read it for shits and giggles...he simplifies things very well, gives personal insite and a few jokes. good books

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    unfortunately, its my experience that its impossible to condense chemistry into one book. you just cant understand anything until youve had all the major disciplines. kind of like wanting a good condensed book of medicine find out whether you want to be a doctor. the bad thing is is that at the beginning chem is boring as hell. the good thing is that if you survive its really interesting. kind of like physics in that regard. after sitting through basic intro phys (and maybe classical mech which is also boring as hell), you get into modern optics, quantum, relativity, e and m, etc.... the interesting stuff.

a little point though, i double majored, but pick the majors carefully and plan your ass off otherwise youll be there forever and late might be part-time.

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    you should start right now learing about everything ORGANIC.... the first two years is easy , fuck man you could not go to class and still get an A, but once you get into organic chem, you're fucked if you've never seen that stuff before

flexgolf is offline Member
    Originally posted by withoutd0ubt
    you should start right now learing about everything ORGANIC.... the first two years is easy , fuck man you could not go to class and still get an A, but once you get into organic chem, you're fucked if you've never seen that stuff before
    indeed its true....everyone bitches about organic chemistry. i may become a chemist one day...but i have a million career dreams

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    i didn't find organic chem hard at all..rather easy in fact. but i think my prof had a lot to do with it, she was fantastic.

phys chem is a bitch, analytical and inorganic were as boring as hell...i can go on forever...lucky i did biochem instead...got to skip a lot of the shitty ones lol

Endurance is offline Associate Member
    i think that general chem is the worst..imho. I found organic to be taxing but not difficult. Just like halifaxsteve i did the biochem route. If you are a student then i will make your basic chem major years a breakdown. IMO gen chem is the most difficult because you touch base with just about every discipline of chem just not in depth. What was one chapter in you gen chem book can become orgainc....or instumental analysis. But really the key is to not try and understand p-chem (physical chemistry) when you are in general chemistry. there is a boaard game that might help you that is fun. Do a yahoo search for chemopoly. its quite fun and educational or www.chemgames.com Thats for inorganic nomenclature (naming the compounds) good luck youll need it hehe........

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    i wasn't a chem major and never took O chem...but i really enjoyed the three chem classes i took as electives....i think maybe it depends on how you think or something. It's cool that yer lookin to get a heads up on it tho...good luck!

speese is offline Junior Member
    i thought chemistry 2 was harder than organic, but i think that's just at my school. don't get me wrong, if chem 2 was the hardest class i've taken, orgo 1 and 2 are right behind it.

Thread Information