BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

My Sleeper Film of the Year (Flame Away Boys and Girls)

I'm going to take some heat for this most likely, and that is understandable as it was with great reluctance that I conceded to renting this film, to say nothing of actually viewing it. My desire to please the girlfriend prevailed, however, and, as a result of the viewing, I sincerely have to state that About Schmidt is an utterly fantastic film. It was very well crafted, consistly entertaining and, above all, poignantly honest in its insistence on addressing some very basic but ubiquitously powerful human fears and emotions. I will be buying this to add to the collection, as I'm convinced this is a film I'll return to over and over again. Despite what your instincts might say, I highly suggest you give it a shot.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    What's it about? I might check it out myself.

Jugg

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Juggernaut2148
    What's it about? I might check it out myself.

Jugg
    It's with Jack Nicholson, who plays just sorta your "average" (a very loaded and subjective term, I know) 66 year old coming to terms with not only his own mortality, but (perhaps more importantly) the scope of his own (perceived) insignificance. The plot, in my opinion, is quite secondary to the narrative voice, though it has its own charm and appeal, which basically (and I don't want to ruin anything) revolves around Nicholson's character (Warren Schmidt) dealing with his own retirement and coinciding marriage of his daughter to a man he perceives as being well below what she deserves.

This is definitely a love or hate it film in every sense of the word...i don't imagine there's much middle ground to be had in this instance. Though, for anyone who appreciates solid, solid acting, I don't know that I've ever admired Nicholson's acting as much as I have in this film.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Ok, now I remeber the adverts for this one. I'm a big Nicholson fan so I'll check this one out. Then I'll come back and flame it! Just joking Big G

Power-BB is offline Associate Member
    Anyone see One Hour Photo?

I'll have to check out that flick BG

Power

Thread Information