BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

I'm a Graduate Now....do I sound any different...or more grown up?

And I have to say that it was the most anti-climatic moment of my life thus far. There were certain sentimental expectations going in...which is slightly paradoxical, as a conception of sentimentality doesn't at first seem to be something that might be applied to that which has yet to occur...but that's postmodernism for you and I'm sure a lot of you get what I'm trying to say.

Maybe it's because I was not much of a "citizen" on campus this year...most of my true friends having graduated either last year or the year prior, or maybe it's because I didn't go out and get drunk or even slightly participate in ANY of the pre-graduation "ceremonies", but it truly felt like an "empty" event in every sense of the word. So, what lies ahead is the rest of my life and I'm not so sure where that even points to, let alone where it leads. Every single questionable aspect of my life (read, everything) has been examined today and I have this deep sense that the next few days will be filled with some seriously introspective thought, fears, uncertainties, and, if i'm fortunate, some sort of conclusions. For several years I looked forward to this day and I really thought I'd have profound and interesting remarks to accompany the event....but really, this is all i have to say. Fittingly enough, I'm watching the final episode of The Wonder Years right now...that about sums it up.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Congrats BG!

Where are you going from here? Do you have a job lined up?

In any event, good luck to ya!

sigrabbit is offline Member
    Congrats bro!

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    Big G..and man, i wish you luck during this time. If you don't have some sort of career planned out for yourself, you're already one step ahead of where i was when i graduated. One thing i have learned in the three years since....nothing is how it was supposed to be and i don't even want to do what i went to college for. The thing i've learned since moving to denver and started lookin for jobs is that my college degree is actually hurting me. I'm kinda weird there tho..i could be a professional student and bartend my way through life. Those are the two things I really enjoyed doing.

As far as graduation not being the "event" that you once imagined...I hear ya there. I wasn't close with any of my fellow grads and didn't party with them during my years at school or during the week prior or post graduation. Graduation for me was proof that I achieved my goal, the degree and nothing more. But then, maybe it was like the for everybody.

well anyways..enough of my ramblings...good luck man and CONGRATS!!!

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Sigh...university life was great. Ya nobody had tonnes of money but the lifestyle was great. After graduation you think...I can't wait to make the money and buy all those toys! A few year of making money...you find out the real work sucks...working for the man sucks...and responsibilty sucks...and then you wish you had the university life again. The working out, the sleeping in, the laxed schedule, the pub crawls, and the gorgeous women! Every single person I went to university with wants it all back.

Anyway...congratulations you have accomplished a great thing...now it's time to distinguish yourself from the rest of the herd. Giver!

nope...no job prospects yet. I've interviewed several times and been offered some pretty solid jobs, but nothing that particularly grabs me or otherwise makes me feel as though I'd enjoy heading to work every day. I'm taking the summer off to figure stuff out in that regard and will keep you all posted. Believe it or not, I'm actually hoping to teach high school for a year before heading back to school...ideally law school.

gunner27 is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on finishing up. I can definitely relate to feeling like graduation was completely anticlimactic. My college graduation was the same way--being ushered across the stage to shake the school president's hand and ushered off really seemed to devalue, rather than sum up, 4 years of work. That's why I skipped my law school graduation last month.

My advice on law school: take some time off if you are considering it. Experiencing the real world for a while will help you get the most out of any grad school, particularly law school. I was out for 7 years before going back, and I feel like it was a real benefit.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Anti-climatic? Well I can relate,however, Bro you've accomplished what many never try. Damn good show ole boy!

As is the case in most things (of importance) the "kill" is seldom as thrilling as the "chase". What you need now is a new goal, which I'm sure will present itself in due time. Relax a little, pat yourself on the back and take a deep breath.

Jugg

mammoth is offline Member
    Congrats, you ivy-league fuck! j/k

You're not done remember!!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Congrats BG!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Congratulations bro!

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Congrats BigGreen.....awesome accomplishment!!

David B. is offline Member
    So, what degree did you get?

--dave

PUMP UP is offline Junior Member
    Congrats BG. You da man!

Originally posted by David B.
    So, what degree did you get?

--dave
    BA...nothing fancy. Hope to one day very soon do a professional degree of some kind (likely law) and then, when I make my fortune and retire (or not) go back and satisfy my intellectual curiosity with a PhD. I'd do the PhD next but the economics of it are staggering, and as much as I hate to be governed by money, I'm not sure that the opportunities I'd like to provide a future family could be allowed for on such a career path.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Congrats! Now where is that first college loan payment.

Originally posted by Rickson
    Congrats! Now where is that first college loan payment.
    They don't kick in for six months!! That's six months I don't have to work!! And do you have any idea how easy it is to defer? I may NEVER work.

RATM is offline Senior Member
    My college graduation was strictly for my parents, as I was the first of anyone in either side to graduate college. Funny thing, my degree, Exercise Physiology, has nothing to do with my current profession, firefighter/paramedic. I do however think that it helped in the sense that it made me appear to be smarter than some. Congrats and good luck.

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    congratulations, i dont know how you do it finish college then want to go back after another year.

Thread Information