• New York

3 8.11%
  • Philadelphia

6 16.22%
  • OTHER

4 10.81%
    EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Best sports city in North America? READ 1st POST

What city do you consider the best sports city in North America based on the following:
    • Quality of teams
    • History
    • Fans
    • Entertainment value

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Chicago. The fans and team history is great.

I'd like to Say L.A. but our fan's suck. Every one jumps on the band wagon while teams are good but no one supports our teams while there in a slump. Besides we don't have a dame football team....YET

I voted for Chicago too. The fans have stuck by their teams even though the Bulls have the only recent championships. The Cubs and Sox have the history and the Blackhawks have the best logo in sports.

Honorary Mention goes to Minneapolis/St.Paul for the crazy Minnesota Wild fans.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    DALLAS!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by 956Vette
    DALLAS!

DITTO

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Boston History:

Oldest baseball stadium in the majors
    Allure of the "curse of the bambino"
    Celtic Championships: 16
    Bruins one of the original six? (not sure on #) pro hockey teams
    Basketball for all intents and purposes invented here

Fans and Entertainment:

*Nothing like a game at Fenway from the Bleachers for both....how many ballparks shut down a whole street in the middle of the state's biggest city as part of the game attraction?
    *The garden's gone, but the Fleetcenter is a great place for a game
    *boston fans have NO SHAME. Other teams (Raiders, eagles) may take it further, but as a whole, there are no more brutal fans...witness ron artest at the end of game six and the fact that jason kidd won't allow his wife and kid to watch him play in person at the fleet...and YES i'm proud of it.

Quality of Teams:

Honestly, I think NY, LA and maybe chicago are the only cities that compete in this regard. These four cities are really the only cities in the US where playoffs don't cut it...but for boston, just making the playoffs is falling short in every major sport. Hoops, baseball, football and hockey, we've been spoiled to the point that anything short of conference finals is soemtimes legitimately called a rebuilding year.

I could go on and on.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    you put Dallas on there and not Houston?!? I mean, I know Houston is not the best sports city,,, but Dallas is a far cry as well,,, humph...

Originally posted by ripped4fsu
    you put Dallas on there and not Houston?!? I mean, I know Houston is not the best sports city,,, but Dallas is a far cry as well,,, humph...
    I added Houston to the list. Now you can rest knowing its there, even though it doesn't deserve a vote. I put Dallas on the list because of the Cowboys history and the "America's Team" nickname.

BiosThornton is offline Junior Member
    DENVER!! BEST FANS EVER! Anyone every see the barrel man? Paints himself orange and wears nothing but a barrel at Bronco games. Even when our home team sucks, the seats are full. Denver has the most dedicated fans.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member

Excess damnit!! I know we suck as a sports town,,, but to put Dallas and not Houston is a slap in the face... truth has nothing to do with it!!

And as for the Cowboys being "America's team" that's a matter of opinion... I hate those fuckers!! (And remember our “expansion” Texans handed them their ass last season!!) At any rate... sorry for turning your friendly thread into an inter-state rivalry!!

Originally posted by ripped4fsu
    At any rate... sorry for turning your friendly thread into an inter-state rivalry!!

Actually, that was my intention. Personally, I can't stand being around Cowboys fans any longer than it takes them to fill my car with gas.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say philly and boston. There fans have no shame.

swim is offline New Member
    philly has the best teams overall and the fans are the craziest

The list has been cut down to cities with votes and cities most likely to get votes.

I'd really like to see this thread get some attention...i'm staged to make a big argument for boston. Would you consider moving it to the lounge? Otherwise, sometime down the road, I may just get tempted to start my own "best sports city" thread and claim it as my own.

Originally posted by BigGreen
    I'd really like to see this thread get some attention...i'm staged to make a big argument for boston. Would you consider moving it to the lounge? Otherwise, sometime down the road, I may just get tempted to start my own "best sports city" thread and claim it as my own.
    Done.

tatty is offline Member
    Hey what about Canada?

Vancouver baby!!!!111

Originally posted by tatty
    Hey what about Canada?

Vancouver baby!!!!111
    I had Toronto and Montreal on the list but I removed them when nobody voted. Trust me, I know the pregame excitement of a Canucks game...Oilers fans are the loudest...Leafs fans are the best playoff fans...you get the picture.

I see no one dare mount a counterpoint to the boston argument. I'll put the final nail in the coffin tonight and soldify boston as the best sports history in North America (and by ethnocentric extension, the world)...then you guys can all be envious of my location. You got us beat on chicks and climate, but i'll take prestige, history, academics and sports over that any day....if we build it they (the chicks) will come.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    I personally would consider regions more than cities. If you don't, Anaheim has got to be up there. The fans are great, And both teams are about to be defending champions! Southern California is great as far as quality, but besides that, the history, overall fan quality, and entertainment value arent all that impressive. With the exception of the Lakers.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i would vote for my hometown, cincinnati, but i just remembered the bengals have been the laughing stock of the league for years and the reds havn't been to the playoffs since i was a young lad.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Originally posted by daem
    i would vote for my hometown, cincinnati, but i just remembered the bengals have been the laughing stock of the league for years and the reds havn't been to the playoffs since i was a young lad.
    Yeah, the Bengals should win the Super Bowl this year, and Griffey is hitting bombs for the Reds. Just playin.

Im about to go see my defending champion Angels beat some ass, Ill tell you how it was! (since I said that they will probably get slaughtered)

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    This is a complete "no brainer"...NEW YORK wins in all regards

Originally posted by HeartDocMD
    This is a complete "no brainer"...NEW YORK wins in all regards
    With a statement like that I can only assume you either A) you aren't really a doctor or B) you went to santo domingo de vera cruz med school ("classroom credits for your life experiences!").

I'm just giving you crap, but you deserve it for making such foolish statement.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I have to say Philadelphia...simple equation...
    Phillies 1 world series win in 108 years! Still people are so hardcore overthem!
    Eagles 1 champion ship 50 + years ago! There are no more hardcore fans the us Eagles fans!
    Flyers 2 Cups 30 years ago...we've dealt with Bobby "Muck it OUT" Clarke and being Adequate! for how many years?????
    Sixers 1 champion ship 20 years ago 2 total...still sticking it out for ateam that has no shot of winning because we have no O!
    We have dealt with more BS from Owners *Phillies previous to this last off season, Eagles never a good owner!, Flyers (Snider should step down because the games and reality have passed him by! (Clarke SUX!), Sixers (See Snider, but don't forget about the past morons that owned them!)
    We have the 4 or 5th largest market, when we suck we still have a shitload of fans at the stadium! and what do we have to show for it????? NO RIngs in 20 + YEARS! BUT I STILL GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I could keep going!

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    I say Detroit. And only really cause I live there, besides all the hockey fans and football fans are nutbags. Even if the Lions do suck, the fans still go freakin crazy every game. Oh yeah and the Pistons still hold the record for most people in one arena. I beleive it was 1989-1990 vs Lakers at the palace in Auburn Hills Michigan. Go Detroit!!!

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    You guys forgot Ioha for wrestling

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    Originally posted by BigGreen

you went to santo domingo de vera cruz med school ("classroom credits for your life experiences!").
    You don't realize how many doctors out there have gone to schools like that...funny, and scary at the same time

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    dallas has to be

mfenske is offline Member
    When it comes to fans there are none better, more loyal, devoted, and
    just generally crazy than the fans of the Green Bay Packers. We
    cheeseheads will do virtually anything for the Packers. We have endured
    30 years of crappy teams to what I like to refer to as the Favre era.
    The Pack is my pick for the superbowl this year (ok so it is every year).
    But if you want to talk about loving a team then tell me how many other
    teams are owned by shareholders and have a 30 plus year waiting list
    for season tickets. GO PACK!!! Mark

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    BOSTON EASY!
    ALL OUR TEAMS USUALLY SELL OUT THEIR HOME GAMES EVERYNIGHT.
    WE STARTED YANKEES SUCK CHANTS WHICH ARE NATIONAL NOW.

GMILL,

Thank you for introducing a level of intelligence to this thread. How anyone can argue for a city other than boston is beyond me. Yes one can make the new york argument, but it falls apart pretty quickly when one realizes that they have two baseball teams, about three football teams (depending on who they count as "theirs" that week), two b-ball teams (once again, depending on who they're counting that week) and three or four hockey teams depending on how far the city borders extend that week (often dependent on the winning records of those outside the border). Boston does just fine, thank you, with it's ONE baseball team, ONE basketball team, ONE hockey team and ONE football team.

Mr. Green,
    I have to argue with you on that point, although I agree at the same time...call me conflicted if you will, but I believe Boston and Philly are presumably the "same" type of people. We both hate NY teams (Mets, Knicks, Nets (if they're winnning), Devils (see nets), Rangers, Islanders) we both have baseball teams that well...just haven't won the big one..(the babe ruth thing must really piss you guys off! that's alright though we lost the A's!) Very similar cities when it comes to sports! Unfortunately for us, we still have deal with Philadelphia the City..I'd much rather be in Boston, but that's for another thread.

SID

Flynman is offline Associate Member
    Oh man I am so disappointed in you guys EVERYBODY KNOWS that NEW YORK is the greatest sports town. New York Yankees....Enough Said!!

Look, I too am a Yankee's fan, BUT that is because my father made me at birth! But don't tell me that NY has the best fans, maybe the most, but not the best!

winny freak is offline New Member

Talking

Originally posted by daem

OK I too live in the buckeye state, So I feel I may make this flame legitimately. The bengals have only been the best at one thiingRUINING A FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS WHOLE CAREER! OK that said I apologize and admit I like them, but that ended when the put K.CARTER to pastture.I went to H.S. with him so it's strictly personal.LOL

PEACE FREAK

Originally posted by Flynman
    Oh man I am so disappointed in you guys EVERYBODY KNOWS that NEW YORK is the greatest sports town. New York Yankees....Enough Said!!
    In that case, why not vote for Detroit too? The Red Wings are buying championships just like Steinbrenner has been buying them. I smile every time the Yankees lose.

Thread Information