Thread: Contacts

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Contacts

Is it bad for the eyes to wear contact lenses for several days without removing them?? Right now Im using the kind that you are suposed to toss away after one day, but Im a cheap bastard so if I can wear them for 2 or 3 days in a row without any risk I will

I dont take them out at all during those 3 days so I guess it should be ok??

MrMuscle is offline New Member
    In my opinion my sight is NOT something i would gamble with.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    there is no gamble if you have the proper pair for how long you want to wear them.

most contact lenses are made to be taken out every night, however there are special brands that you can wear and sleep in.

if yours are meant to be removed every evening, sleeping in them for several days may cause deterioration or discomfort. the ones you can sleep in are a completely different story though.

they have a higher oxygen diffusion rate than normal soft lenses and can be slept in since the eye can breathe.

the kind i wear are 30 day disposable meaning i can sleep in them for 30 days without taking them out.

you may find this hard to believe, but i have slept in them for over 4 months now without my vision changing, without the lens ripping, or without getting any infection in my eye. that is over 120 days with a contact lens on my eye 24 hours a day.

look into it as i highly recommend them.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by MrMuscle
    In my opinion my sight is NOT something i would gamble with.
    :/:

Get the right ones if you don't want to change them.... you can get styes(sp?) or something.... I wouldn't chance it.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by daem
    there is no gamble if you have the proper pair for how long you want to wear them.

most contact lenses are made to be taken out every night, however there are special brands that you can wear and sleep in.

if yours are meant to be removed every evening, sleeping in them for several days may cause deterioration or discomfort. the ones you can sleep in are a completely different story though.

they have a higher oxygen diffusion rate than normal soft lenses and can be slept in since the eye can breathe.

the kind i wear are 30 day disposable meaning i can sleep in them for 30 days without taking them out.

you may find this hard to believe, but i have slept in them for over 4 months now without my vision changing, without the lens ripping, or without getting any infection in my eye. that is over 120 days with a contact lens on my eye 24 hours a day.

look into it as i highly recommend them.
    Yeah that sounds very interesting, have to get those kind of lenses.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    listen to daem he knows what hes talkin about. just to reiterate, if they are not made to do so, do not sleep in contacts. it comes down to something called EOP (effective oxygen percentage), which is the oxygen your eye gets. in air it is ~20% (air is 20% oxygen). but this assumes that you keep your eyes open. so that gives a big fidge factor. the main types of contacts are

siloxane... good EOP, but dry the eye out on extended wear and can damage them.
    Methacrylate... poor EOP so eye will be damaged due to lack of oxygen on extended wear, but good tear retaining properties

now the good extended wear are two phase, meaning they have a HEMA (type of methancrylate) matrix, with a co-continuous phase of siloxane for oxygen permeability. kind of like holes filled with the siloxane. they are specially made for extended wear.

anyways, thats the science lesson of the day.

xtremesport14 is offline Associate Member
    Take them out Bro! Ever wake up and take notice to see how dry and Blooshot your eyes are after sleeping with them!

nj juice is offline Member
    i dont wear prescription contacts but sometimes i wear colored ones. One night a while ago i had them in got really drunk and forgot to take them out. Well i was awakened in the morning by the intense burning sensation in my eyes. Took me half an hour to get them out, they were like glued to my eyes and did not want to get out. I find that whenever i where them i have to constantly apply visine to keep my eyes from getting too dry.

Thread Information