Colibri is offline Banned

Bodybuilding Site Design

The following is a rough idea of what my bodybuilding site will look like - layout wise. Right now, I'm stumped.

It is not finished by any means, I have no name for it yet, allthough, you can expect "Total Fitness" or a similar generic name

I want it to be graphicly intensive, the film reel-type image is just a image I made in another design that didn't work out, if I choose to keep it, it will be like a quick gallery viewer(or similar). I don't feel like changing to images in it (change them, put them the right way round, etc ) at the moment, so take note of that.

Tell me what you think so far, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bodybuilding Site Design-design-4.jpg  

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty good.

Thanks, man.

Anyone else got any opinions?

Also, note my superior croping skills (Don't look at the missing bit of Levrone's shoulder though )

Guess how many Lee Priest picturs are in that page.
    Last edited by Colibri; 12-03-2002 at 01:16 PM.

45 Views and one reply? Damn this board is lonely of members

BostonBobby is offline Associate Member
    I like it!! Good job..

B

thegame01 is offline Member
    Lee priest won the "O" ? LOl just kidding
    I like it,let us know when it's up and running

GZ

peaker is offline Senior Member
    very nice man

peaker

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by thegame01
    Lee priest won the "O" ? GZ
    Yea thats the first thing I noticed too. It looks nice to me

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Obviously a Priest fan. But we won't hold that against you. Looks amazing bro. How long till you think it will be up and running?

I have the design to finish off, shouldn't take very long now that I have the basis of it.

After that, I’ll get to the main content, upload the galleries, videos (Depending on space available, I'll try to upload Pumping Iron, Blood and Guts, etc. [What's copyright? ]), get writers (All you bb.com 16-year-olds can fuck off ), etc.

Before that though, I need a host

I want to get a domain but I have no money so I'm looking around. Don't worry, I won't get hosted on Geocities, but I'm trying to find a bodybuilding site to host me. Any suggestions?

I have total confidence that it will be significantly better that bb.com, hell, I won't force feed you products and their forum like they do I could even say it would have the same content as AR and possibly more

David B. is offline Member
    Nice, but do you have the rights to the copyrighted photos you're using?

--dnb

Originally posted by David B.

--dnb
    I can't remember where I got the mages from, most likely the Pro News and Pics section of the forums.

There's no inidcation of any copyright on any of the pictures used.

Test. Ignore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bodybuilding Site Design-sig.jpg  

FmRommel is offline Member
    Looks Great bro....wish all site were this nice!!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by David B.

--dnb
    He has a point brah. You may need permission from either the photographers or the bodybuilders themselves... unless it is a nonprofit site. In which you would have nothing to sue over. I would e-mail one of the BB photographers or do a search for copyright free BB pics. These guys are all professionals trying to make a buck, the photographers and the bodybuilders... and most will probably want a royalty... or at least a copyright notice on your page. "All images povided by Chris Lund © 2002."

If this will be a profit business you need to cover your ass. And using copyrighted images - which I am 99 percent sure they are, would not be a good thing.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Colibri
    I can't remember where I got the mages from, most likely the Pro News and Pics section of the forums.

There's no inidcation of any copyright on any of the pictures used.
    Even if they're not copyrighted by the photographer, I think the athletes have the rights to their pictures if you're using them to decorate your site. Using a picture of someone in a news story is allowed, but using their likeness as a decoration on your site would require their endorsement.

Does anyone know who holds the copyrights to any of the pictures above? Or any e-mails etc I could get permission from (the person that took the picture, etc)?

Look in some muscle mags. The photographers' names are next to the photos or at the beginning of the articles. If they sold the copyrights then they could give you a new direction. Your best bet is too contact Chris Lund and ask him for permission to reprint his images on your site with his copyright on the bottom.

"I have a bodybuilding Web site and have always thought you had some great images [kiss ass]. Would it be okay for me to incorporate some of your images on my Web site design? If you would prefer I could add your copyright notice. Thanks."

If he e-mails back saying, "no problem" - print that e-mail and keep it. If you start to draw A LOT of profit, take it to a lwayer and see how well it would hold up in court.

humpymuscle is offline Junior Member
    Looks like a great site man. I design sites too so I know how frustrating it is to do something and never know if it's good or not.

My only suggestion is to put something in all the whitespace you have on the bottom and right side, like some background image or something.

Also you can get a cool javascript that will reel the pics across the top of the screen like a movie reel at hotscripts.com.

Last one: the white and grey lines between the top and the navigation bar, maybe they should be a little thinner, give it a more streamlined look?

Good luck!

I need to learn PHP

matt890ca is offline New Member
    PHP is not all that hard to learn. I do many things with PHP on rippedcanadians and other projects I have.

Colibri if you want a free host use www.spaceports.com you have to add in one banner though nothing big but it must be at the top of the site where it can be seen right away. The best idea would be to setup a small frame at the top to hold their banner and your design won't be affected. And if you want a simple name and not the url they give you, then try this. http://www.5er.com or http://www.cjb.net makes it more pleasing.

Good luck and message me if you need anything, I'm a computer nerd

system admin is offline Owner
    YES.. you need permission to use their photos if you want to avoid legal action. (TAKE IT FROM ME) LOL Its expensive and a pain in the ass. Looks good though. If you want to make it a well known site... you will have to play by the rules. Utherwise you waste your time. My .02

BC

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    A domain is not that expensive and cheaper if you're not selling anything. I think it would cost about $5 - $10 per month. Depends on your bandwidth as well. Be careful when borrowing javascripts. Not all javascripting is compatible with both Netscape and Explorer (unless that has changed since I use to script with javascript). I asume that you're familier with HTML and Javascript as well as installing client side software to install your message board and other programs you may want.

If you're willing to put up with the maintenance (and there is a pile) you site will have a good look.

Good luck

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    The site looks great. Make room for the sponsors.

Yeah, I have in the newest version.

RBD85 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bump.... did the site ever get up and running? I was looking forward to a site that had some videos I could download.

Thread Information