The Butcher is offline Member

Anyone ever open their own gym, or start one up with someone?

Hey Bros, anyone here ever start their own gym, or was anyone ever involved in the start up of one? If so, could you tell me some of the things that you did wrong (or right) that you would not (or would) do again. I'm mostly talking about from a business side of things, but I'd even like input on things like layout of the gym, how much traffic you have in the gym, and what machines/weights you would or would not buy again. Any input on advertising, contracts, rates, etc would be appreciated as well. Also, how do you handle the personal training aspect of it? I.e., do you have control over the trainers, or do you just let them run their own business and either pay you rent, or a percentage of their hourly rate? Thanks in advance for any input!

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    partyboy has gotten involved in gym ownership rather recently, so i would shoot ideas/thoughts back and forth with him for an ongoing example.

The Butcher is offline Member
    Thanks daem.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i'm doing that right now

when you have time(or i have time,haha) get a hold of me!i'll do what i can to help.this is my first venture of this sort, although i'm already coming into a functional setting.that's helps from my end, but i'm revamping the entire place.totally creative control so i can give you my persepctive on things i'm currently doing for us.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

PM'd you

i'm in a great position because my gym has been in operation for 4 years, although it has been at a stand still earnings wise the past two.that's why they brought me in.i have total control of it's operation, as well as, creative control to bring it in any direction i want.luckily, my partner has given me the expense account to do all this.so it's not a startup job, but it's like a rebuilding process.
    as far as the PT dept, i run that also.i'm making wholesale changes to that as well.i'm in the hiring and firing phase right now.yesterday i hired, today i fire, which is a very awkward situation.i'm not looking forward to this evening when i have to do this, but it's a business thing not personal.
    about renting space to trainers, it can work if they have an established client base that they will be bring to you.here's your problem or something to think about though....if your trainers bring in their clients...A.) do you want a split from them or a flat rate?a falt rate can scare off trainers who are not established because they could potentially lose $$ on the deal if they can't book enough sessions. B.) do you spilt w/ them, say 60/40 for example?you can offer incentives to them if you do it this way.say, we start at 60/40, as they book more sessions and ultimately bring in more $$ you can give them a better split 70/30 say.you just have to always give them a reason to sell themselves.it's like waying a carrot in front of them."make my gym a little more in volume of sessions and we'll give you a better split".it's hard enough to find good trainers.when you do you need to retain them because they create a following.out PT dept, right now is like supplemental income.i'm working on making it advance w/ new strategies for selling AND intrducing PT to people who may not be able to afford perosnal instruction.
    it's alot to think about.don't think about your income first.think about having happy trainers.keep them happy and you will retain them.inturn volume of session will increase.think employee first.you have your income generated primarily from memberships sales unless you are a PT only studio.think of your PT dept as a way to increase member success and spark new interest in it at this point.in time, volume will catch up to you generosity as an emploer.it just takes time.where do you want it to be a year from now?two years?.think short term and you get short term results......think long term profitability!!!!
    hope this is of some help to you or at least gives you new things to think about!!!

Thread Information